Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-04, 10:20 AM   #1
haimeltj

Default X Windows hard locks (requires hard restart) with nvidia drivers

When I use the nvidia-source and nvidia-glx debian packages, x windows becomes ununsable. X windows will randomly lock up, freezing the keyboard and mouse. alt-sysrq does not respond. I used to be able to ssh in and close X, but now I am unable to do so. If i switch to nv in XF86Config-4, x windows works fine. I can usually reproduce a crash by using script-fu in gimp (at higher settings). This is a serious error for me because when X crashes, I have to restart, which causes data loss, and I usually end up reinstalling kde or x-window-system-core.

Sys Info:
athlon xp 2200+ (thoroughbred)
ecs k7s5a (sis 735)
gainward geforce 3 powerpack (nv20)
sb live value (emu10k1)
a $5 winmodem
haimeltj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 10:51 AM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: X Windows hard locks (requires hard restart) with nvidia drivers

Does the problem reproduce if you disable AGP? Are you using NvAGP or Linux AGPGART (if so, which kernel)?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 04:47 PM   #3
haimeltj

how would I got about disabling agp?

just add
option "NvAGP" "0" to the driver section of XF86Config-4?

if agp is the problem, how would I fix that?
Old 08-24-04, 12:49 AM   #4
haimeltj

option "NvAGP" "0" still causes crashes. :-/
Old 08-24-04, 05:01 PM   #5
bobbyo

I have the same problem with the 1.0-4363 driver under RedHat Advanced Server 3, update 2 (ia32 linux).
I was able to ssh to the machine, but kill -9 X did not kill the X process.
'top' showed the process was in STAT 'RW' mode, using 99%cpu. The manpages for top say the STAT mode is not accurate for kernel processes, and I don't know how to diagnose this further.
(I'm running an nVidia Quadro 980XGL card on a supermicro x5dae motherboard with two xeon processors.)

Shame on you, Nvidia! this problem has been around for years. I've posted on it before, as have many others. Due to this bug, Nvidia boards deserve a
"NOT ACCEPTABLE/DO NOT BUY"
for environment where regular system crashes causing data loss and loss work are not accepable.
Advice: DO NOT BUY A NVIDIA CARD TO RUN ON LINUX until Nvidia demonstrates a stable board+driver product for Linux. IMHO, until the time when there has been a 6-month window of posts on this forum inidcating that the x-freeze/lockup problem has been fixed, buying an NVidia board will probably cause you data loss and headaches on a regular basis.
Old 08-24-04, 05:58 PM   #6
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Please note that a variety of problems can lead to the symptoms you describe, there is no single, easily isolated black screen of death bug, unfortunately.

@bobbyo: with X hung at startup, what does /proc/interrupts look like?

@haimeltj: can you still ping the machine when it hangs, can you login remotely? If so, does X consume similar amounts of CPU time on your system, when hung? If yes, please check /proc/interrupts, as well. Also, have you checked if X just takes very long to start, possibly several minutes?
Old 08-24-04, 08:36 PM   #7
haimeltj

i used to be able to login remotely- now I can't. I can't even ping the machine now. i am hestitant to test out the drivers anymore because when they freeze, my filesystem gets corrupted, and i have reinstall packages often.
Old 08-25-04, 04:11 AM   #8
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

When you say you used to be able to interact with the machine, do you mean with earlier driver releases?

Old 08-25-04, 07:15 PM   #9
haimeltj

yes the 5536 or whatever ones, and i think i a previous setup. i've had to reformat many times because of this bug.
Old 08-26-04, 03:21 AM   #10
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

There are two types of lock-ups with Nvidia driver:

1)One where X hangs, but mouse works and log-in is possible and sys-rq still works

2)One where nothing is possible anymore.

I managed to get rid of 1) which seems to be a thermal problem in my case. 2) happens though sometime. The system is *only* 100% stable if I use the os nv driver. Disabling AGP, APIC, CPU disconnect does not help. The machine locks up faster if I set it under constant load (compiling). The longest it survived was, without APIC and with CPU DIsconnect off (and perhaps even agp off, can't remember). Here it survivied 24h of load before I tried the next setting.

I haven't tried to disable use of glx though... It seems for me, with 61.11 driver using agpgart became stabler than using nvagp...

The system doesn't seem to lock-up in 3d though. But usually I don't play long enough to make that happen, I guess.
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 03:59 AM   #11
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I misread the original report(s) and thought the hangs reproduced at X startup. Unfortunately, there are a variety of scenarios that can be perceived as X hangs, with a number of possible root causes, each.

Please, if you have a stability problem that you can't solve even after working through the host of suggestions made by users of these forums, send a detailed bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com. Include any appropriate hardware and software configuration details, as well as relevant log files (XFree86/X.org, nvidia-bug-report.sh, ...).

@haimeltj: There've been several reports of SiS AGP stability problems after the release of 1.0-6106/1.0-61111, which we will investigate; since your problem reproduces with AGP disabled, this may not be applicable. Have you checked your system's memory?
Old 08-26-04, 04:51 PM   #12
drumz

But what are the chances of getting any help by sending a bug report? I sent one Jul24th, with a follow up of additional info Aug 1st. Haven't heard a word, not even a 'it's in the queue and it'll be looked at when we get down to yours (first in, first out)'.

I find it a little discouraging that many people are reporting the same black screen of death as I reported, nobody has a fix, and nobody (from nvidia) can give us additional instructions on narrowing it down to finally stamp this bug out. I for one want to support nvidia since you are making an effort in providing drivers, and I want to work with nvidia to help solve this problem - but so far it's been a one way street.

(And yes, I know, you're all probably swamped, etc. But that's still no reason for poor communications with customers that are trying to support you.)

drumz
drumz is offline   Reply With Quote