Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-04, 02:00 PM   #25
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Default Re: Valve's trend continue's...8/23-still no pre-load

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
Personally I'd prefer to patch something than not have it, people may complain about all the patches for Microsoft products, but at least Windows 98 came out before ****ing 2003.
Actually, it was originally supposed to be Windows 97, but it was delayed until 1998 and renamed
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 03:57 PM   #26
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
Last time I checked it was a free country and an open forum to opinionate, no one is forcing you to read our opinions, so it makes you look quite bitter to pin point our gripes and turn them into your own. If you dont like readin such things, dont...like you said about HL2 being late.."get over it".

Ultimate17, does that mean that you should only post in this thread if you agree with your opinions? Does mezkal say that you do not have the right to express your opinoin? No he doesn't, he is just expressing his opinion. You just seem so aggressive, almost like a republican american using the argument "Its a free country and the constitution gives me the right to bla bla bla"

Like mezkal, I just think the point is to relax, play some other games and just think as less as possible about Half-Life 2 until it actually arrives. I did that for Doom 3 and it worked for me

I just think that we should be grateful that someone like Gabe and his team actually want to put all their money and time into developing a game like Half-Life 2. So what if they miss a few release dates, as long as its coming? I also think that people have a hard time separating rumors and speculations from acutally statements from Valve. Regarding that quote from halflife2.net, its just downright ridiculous in my opinion. It is the perfect example on a very impatient guy, who sees the HL2 delays as a breach on his rights for getting his computer games on time or something.

I just think we should trust that Valve is doing all they do in the best interest of gamers by making the development time so long, and im sure that it will be worth the wait when it arrives. Sure, I got pretty disappointed when the game didn't show up on the 30th sep. last year, but my disappointment feeling was just a great as my feeling of sympathy for Valve because of the leak.
The worst thing I think Valve have done, was their little "Shader Day" presentation some time ago that made Nvidia look really bad in their benchmarks, even though the game was pretty far away from release.

But aside from that, Valve is a great company IMO, because they brought me Half-Life, one of my best gaming experiences ever and that they are willing to sacrifice so much of their life and money to bring us a worthy sequal
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 04:10 PM   #27
Gaco
L4D & DoW2 ftw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom
valve could have avoided all of this by NOT ANNOUNCING THE GAME SO DAMN EARLY! We didnt know it was coming out, and if they waited until they were at least on beta before telling us, it wouldve been better for everyone.
Its always easy being wise after the event, and you should know that software developing is a complicated matter, not games the least. Looking back now it was wrong of Valve to announce the game at the 30th sep. 2003, but things turned out as they did, and as long as they deliver a great product that more or less lives up to the graphical standards and then also haves a great gameplay, ill be satisfied
Gaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:37 PM   #28
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
Ultimate17, does that mean that you should only post in this thread if you agree with your opinions? Does mezkal say that you do not have the right to express your opinoin? No he doesn't, he is just expressing his opinion. You just seem so aggressive, almost like a republican american using the argument "Its a free country and the constitution gives me the right to bla bla bla"
That isn't what Ultimate17 said. And it IS a free country, and the constitution DOES give us the right to free speech - which, by the way, is more typically heard from democrats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaco
Like mezkal, I just think the point is to relax, play some other games and just think as less as possible about Half-Life 2 until it actually arrives. I did that for Doom 3 and it worked for me
I'm glad someone else did that! I did the same thing and apparently I enjoyed Doom 3 a lot more than some of the people around here!
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:41 PM   #29
killahsin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
I'd rather have a buggy game than no game at all. But something tells me bugs arent why it's being held back.

Than you must have not seen the 20 or so crazy crashing bugs. The screwed up refreshes the wild aa/af crashes. The broken shader call-ups. Alogn with a ton of other silly things that slipped through the cracks that cs:S beta testers picked up on different hardware and has recently over the past week been fixed. Including a database issue inside of steam itself that caused source to crash dead in its tracks everytime you played. Those are some serious bugs to let sldie out the door. And yes according to gabe and doug both it kept being pushed back preload wise due to the cs:s testing phase.

I loved and still love doom 3. Awesome game in my opinion. Definatly my pick for game of the year so far.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 01:05 PM   #30
redoulent

I haven't pre-ordered half life 2, but I do want it! I don't like to preorder as I hate it when the release dates get missed. That and pre-orders don't arrive the same day as they do in stores unless you pay for over night shipping. FARK that! I'll buy it in a store and let them eat the shipping.

I would pick Far Cry over Doom 3 for game of the year. More my play style.
redoulent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 01:19 PM   #31
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redoulent
I haven't pre-ordered half life 2, but I do want it! I don't like to preorder as I hate it when the release dates get missed.
Heh, yeah, that's why the only game I have preordered right now is Halo 2 . Though that's mostly because it's the only way to get the collector's edition.

I usually never pre-order though, you can ALWAYS find the game in-store the day it's released, unless there's some pre-order bonus it's usually not worth it. Especially considering I usually wait for things to drop in price before I pick them up, unless it's a major online game that I know is going to be much more popular when it's released than later on.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 10:00 PM   #32
holmes

Eh, until the game is out I could care less about HL2. Honestly, I thought HL was overated and I never got into the CS craze, so I guess I'm not overly enthused about this game. Not like Doom3 anyway... I doubt I'll buy it when it's first released, more like until I see gamer reactions and some reviews, then I might take the leap. Right now I'm hyped about Battle For Middle Earth!

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-26-04, 06:49 AM   #33
Socos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezkal
Guys you need to calm down. It's coming. It will be released. The pre-load wouldn't have happened (read : distributing thier costly R & D'd I.P) if the game wasn't close to release.

So what if it's LATE. And yes it IS late. Very Late. But then Half Life 1 was 3 Years Late. Historically software releases, movies and archictecture are all late in thier release schedules.

I'm getting a little sick of people crying about the pre-loads as if they have a RIGHT to them. Be honest with yourselves. You pre-load the game in the hopes that you'll be the first on the block with it up and running. Well that's the catch with ANY type of early adoption, the bleeding edge cuts sometimes. Deal with it. Stop acting as if you actually count to Valve as much more then a Beta tester (in more ways than just bandwitdth btw, I'm sure they're measuring what sort of user dropoff this creates for thier potential subscription and supply service) for Steam. You don't. The guys who got thier cards from ATI should just be happy that they're getting a Triple A title that won't be old by the time its released too them. Well that and the fact that they can run CS : Source right now. Oh yeah and the Stress Test too.

Clamouring to the hills about how Valve BETTAH LERN ABT RELEAZE SCHEDOOLS IFN THEY WANN4 S3LL SOURCE is just plain dumb. Get it right. Gabe Newell (big man that he is Ho Ho ) is living his dream. You're just salivating over it. Stop bitching. Go and play some other game and let the team do what they do. Yeah it's LATE. WE KNOW. Get over it. Watching a kettle boil is pointless. Didn't your mothers teach you anything?

For the record : I Loved Half Life. I also adored Blue Shift (which I recently played again on my DreamCast -ssshhh). I'm anxious too. I want this game so bad I've actually dreamt about it. Even so @ 31 I've learnt that life just tests your patience sometimes. This is one of those times.
Don't worry about all the bishing.. All these guys will be first in line on steam to dload it when it is finally released...