Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-04, 03:58 AM   #1
Turtle

Default Nforce audio driver, weird errors

I just installed my Nforce audio drivers for my Nforce 3 250GB onboard audio. This driver (0283) has worked fine on other installs, but now that I have gentoo installed, it doesnt work.

It installed fine. I figured everything was going well. I turned up the volume on kmix, and then ran nvmixer. when I tried to change the audio settings in nvmixer, it will error when i click on any slide bar saying "Volume Set Failed". If I click on any check box, it will say something like "Mute Bit Failed" or "Swap MicIn Failed" depending on what box I check. Bottom line is that my audio drivers are going weird. I cant change any of the settings.

I do get audio, but only from the 2 front speakers of my 4.1 set. which means that the front speaker jack is working fine, but the rest of the jack's arent with my onboard audio, I can only assume because the drivers arent working. The drivers have always worked for me fine, but they dont now for some reason. I thought that maybe I needed to emerge gentoo's ebuilds of the Nforce driver, but they still only have the old drivers so I decided not to.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 11:15 AM   #2
Valheru

Default Re: Nforce audio driver, weird errors

What kernel version have you installed? Have you installed OSS as a module of compiled it into the kernel? And do you have to run with the kernel option acpi=off & noapic?

I'm even worse off - I can install the module, load it iff using the above kernel parameters and even get my JVC reciever to light up like a Christmas tree with Dolby Digital signal lights but I get no sound whatsoever. Neither through my JVC (which is hooked up to the SPIDF) or through my Altec Lansing 2.1 setup that is hooked up the the analogue output. It's very annoying, and I'm having to use ALSA and the snd-intel8x0 driver which doesn't to HW mixing or Passthrough which buggers my AC3-audio encoded DivX films, giving my only a Linear PCM signal on the JVC Home Theater. Using DMix, which since I have an Athlon 2600+ XP and 1 GB of DDR PC2700 isn't too bad, but still...
Valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 12:10 PM   #3
Catmandu

Their mixer util has always given me problems with linux. Just moving the mouse over one of the controls generates an error message. The programmers made a pretty common error--they are looking at a mouse move event on a control that does not need to be checked for a mouse move event. for instance, unless you move the mouse with the mouse button down over a slider bar there's no need to generate a mouse move event. If the button is depressed then you are looking at a change event or a mouse down event but not a mouse move. Hence, checking for a mouse move event over a slider bar and generating an error message is a sign of a pretty fundamental mistake.

They need to redo that utility and take out the extraneous triggers. I don't appreciate 5-10 error message back to back on that utility just because I moved the mouse over a slider bar without even depressing the mouse button...I think you can see what I mean.

Besides that, the mixer never worked on my nforce2 based boards. Another indication that more than obvious errors are being made in their programming.
Catmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 12:26 PM   #4
Turtle

I checked my kernel configuration. Im using kernel 2.6.8.1 and have alsa installed, not oss, and yes it is compiled into the kernel, not a module. I dont know about the acpi stuff. Ive been using this same kernel configuration for other distrobutions and it has worked fine, but it isnt working here.

Thanks for the fast reply.
Old 08-25-04, 02:03 PM   #5
Turtle

I compiled my kernel without support for the intel/nforce audio driver and reinstalled the driver. I now get sound out of all 4 speakers, but I still have big problems with nvmixer. I can change settings (though I still get the same errors as before) its just that before if I tried to change the settings, it would error and then set them back to default. now it will actually move the bar, thought it doesnt work. putting something on mute doesnt mute it, volume changes dont change, etc.

I may just wait for a new driver release to see if they fix the errors you were talking about.

Thanks a lot.

One step closer...