Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-04, 05:23 PM   #37
killahsin

Default Re: How did Valve get put on its pedastal anyway?

while i understand you can call it exploiting but for cliffe and goose it was called a dream comming true. The same goes for quite a few other mod authors.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:23 PM   #38
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
but it doesn't make Valve a good developer.
Just makes them an outstanding marketer that also happens to make games once every 5 years.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:26 PM   #39
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Just makes them an outstanding marketer that also happens to make games once every 5 years.
Right. And marketing is one thing they have mastered. It remains to be seen if their development skills are as good as their PR.

And killashin, please note that I did not have anything against Valve supporting CS officially, but it's not like they did it out of the kindness of their hearts or for the interest of their community. And there aren't a ton of successful developers spewing out lots of crappy games that I can think of.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:29 PM   #40
killahsin

cs beta 5 was made by barking dog library wise =p

totally pissed cliffe and gooseman off. Understand cs was given to valve for beta 5 it was theirs wholely belonged to valve, clifee and goose worked for valve than. Valve tried to pull the project away and gave it to barkin dogs who screwed alot of cs up and made alot of it better. Cliffe and goose went nuts and got alot of the stuff changed back(mainly animations) CS belonged to valve and was mainly paid for by valve except for some maps, from beta 5 on. Yes they kept releasing free updates. Thats my point =p

Quote:
And there aren't a ton of successful developers spewing out lots of crappy games that I can think of.
this is very much debatable lol
Old 08-24-04, 05:30 PM   #41
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

I used to play counter strike all of the time... I played since the first beta and I don't recall them closing beta after 5... if I recall correctly they went to beta 7 and then went to 1.0.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:31 PM   #42
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

OK, I guess I was wrong. I don't really care enough to look it up. Either way, that's still completely irrelevant to the discussion. And I haven't taken a patronizing tone with you, so I'd appreciate it if you could return the favor, and do away with the stupid "sticking your tongue out" smiley.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:34 PM   #43
killahsin

mr hunt what i meant by closed is it belonged to valve at and after beta 5. I did not mean closed in terms of closed beta and whatnot but by closed development.
Old 08-24-04, 09:07 PM   #44
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

The actual story of HL was exactly the same story as half of the shooters before and since. Teleportation + Evil Aliens. It's goofy. And although people talk about the story in Half-Life, there wasn't much of a 'story' at all, there were maybe 2 plot elements: G-Man and...well, there was G-Man. Half-Life was good because it was immersive, the NPCs acted a lot more like people instead of props...but literarily, HL wasn't any big deal, I could make up that story at random, its just some cliches.

Old 08-24-04, 11:45 PM   #45
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

Well, here's my two cents:

I wouldn't know of or play Half-Life if it wasn't for Counter-Strike. I'm sure it's a great game, but I barely touched my copy. I went straight for Counter-Strike, and as of today, it is still one of the best damned game out there...if you disregard the hackers, heh.

I guess I consider myself to be one of the millions of 'regular' gamers. Most know what HL is, but countless many more know Counter-Strike, and thus found out about HL and Valve. I think HL's popular stems from Counter-Strike. To me, if it wasn't for CS, I wouldn't have even given much of a damn about HL. I was too busy with RTS games and much prefer other games at that time. That's just how I see it. Fire your opinions away.

And about HL2, I'm getting the game just because of CS. I'll play HL2, but I won't drool over it - and most likely I won't even finish it (heh, I never got past the 3rd level in Half Life). The graphics are too dated to be awed by it anymore, IMO.
Severian126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:07 AM   #46
aAv7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
Jesus, you sure get emotional on these message boards, don't you?! The poor guy just suggested that Stanley Kubrick was FAR more talented in his respective field than Gabe Newell (an opinion I happen to agree with). There's no need to make personal attacks on him! After all...

You said it best yourself!

We're just gonna have to put up with his ignorant comments until the mods realize he's a thorn in everyone's side and finally ban him. He seems to sleep better at night knowing he can out smart 16 year old Billy from nvnews. I guess it helps him make it through the day too. Or maybe it helps him write his kick ass music. Y'know? The important music he composes and mag's he writes for. He's HUGE in Australia....but...somehow...he finds all this time to grace us all with such bitterness on the forums. If only we could all be like Mezkal, hated, and full of pride....must be nice to live in your own little world where you tell yourself you know all.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:19 AM   #47
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

I think probably the best way to sum it up would be, i can't wait for Half Life 2. In the meantime, however, i'm going to go finish Doom 3. Only when Half Life 2 is released can you truly cast your vote. I can see people eating their words either way HL2 falls.
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:21 AM   #48
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
He's HUGE in Australia....but...somehow...he finds all this time to grace us all with such bitterness on the forums.
Strange... i've never heard of him...

WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote