Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-25-04, 01:36 AM   #49
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick
Default Re: How did Valve get put on its pedastal anyway?

Half Life did not become popular untill counter strike became popular.

Also valve did invent the scripted secquences that arent cut sceen, that is their claim to fps fame, however not much more innovation in anything else than gameplay really. Maybe cool map design where its all connected.
Old 08-25-04, 03:49 AM   #50
Greg

I think...

Valve goes up because:

o Half Life was a good game, so we reckon Half Life 2 will be even better.
o Counter Strike is fun and popular.

Valve goes down because:

o We have waited 5 years for Team Fortress, Half Life 2, better Counter Strike, with some release dates promised or associated hype.
o We realize that beyond Half Life, Valve hasn't made jack.
o Gabe said stuff and made people unhappy.
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 06:12 AM   #51
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

either way, it was not a very nice thing to do, lieing to ppl that is.
as much a hl2 can be a great game, and im sure it will be. however, ppl will never look at valve the same way, no matter what.
Old 08-25-04, 11:14 AM   #52
killahsin

No offense to you all but HL was game of the year previous to Counter-Strike, heh. Than the CS and TF additions made it game of the year again.
killahsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 11:16 AM   #53
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheimison
The actual story of HL was exactly the same story as half of the shooters before and since. Teleportation + Evil Aliens. It's goofy. And although people talk about the story in Half-Life, there wasn't much of a 'story' at all, there were maybe 2 plot elements: G-Man and...well, there was G-Man. Half-Life was good because it was immersive, the NPCs acted a lot more like people instead of props...but literarily, HL wasn't any big deal, I could make up that story at random, its just some cliches.
HL's story = evil aliens + teleportation, this is true, but only a very generalized way. The good stuff, the story, is in the details. There are (at least) two stories in any video game: the story that provides the framework for the game, in this case evil aliens + teleportation, and the story the the player actually plays through: "I'm a really smart scientist dude in this secret research facility; OMG! This experiment just went *way* wrong, what am I going to do? Everyone's dead and wth are those crab-things?!"

The second story has a lot more to do with level and game design, atmosphere, gameplay, interactivity and immersion, and is the more important one. A good example is Metal Gear Solid 2 - fantastic second story, great immersion and atmosphere, stellar gameplay. The quality of the primary story is definitely up for debate.

Valve got put on their pedestal because they are masters of the second story. Whether or not it's deserved (I think it is), that's why they're there. I don't think their technical prowess is nearly as advanced as Carmack and Company, but video games are all about playing out a fantasy, that second story, and that's where Valve has shown itself to excel.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 11:40 AM   #54
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
I don't think their technical prowess is nearly as advanced as Carmack and Company, but video games are all about playing out a fantasy, that second story, and that's where Valve has shown itself to excel.
While this is true, my argument is that making just one good game does not make a company an automatic AAA developer.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 11:51 AM   #55
Vash
Angel Arms

Also very true - and I agree with you - though I'm not sure there's any official standard as to what it takes to make a AAA developer. If there is, it probably has to do with number of units sold, similar to the recording industry's gold and platinum sales status. If that's the case, then Valve might have the numbers required. Half-Life sold a *lot* of units.

But whether or not they fall under the AAA category or not, they are one of the Big Ones, precisely because HL was executed so well. If HL2 is as good or better than HL, then in my mind their status as AAA developers will be cemented.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:04 PM   #56
H3avyM3tal
SB's Twin Blades

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Just makes them an outstanding marketer that also happens to make games once every 5 years.
was that supposed to be a joke???

Old 08-25-04, 12:12 PM   #57
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Only if you want it to be.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:18 PM   #58
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
But whether or not they fall under the AAA category or not, they are one of the Big Ones, precisely because HL was executed so well. If HL2 is as good or better than HL, then in my mind their status as AAA developers will be cemented.
Yes, I agree completely, and I hope they pull off Half-Life 2. I do think it's a little silly how high peoples' expectations are, however. History has shown us that, in general, hugely anticipated sequels often fail to satisfy when the hype has built to a fever pitch, like with this game. But then again, history is doomed to repeat, so I guess it doesn't really matter either way.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:21 PM   #59
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjaman09
History has shown us that, in general, hugely anticipated sequels often fail to satisfy when the hype has built to a fever pitch
Ain't that the truth. That said, I still have my HL2 Collector's Edition on order, and I'm hoping against hope it comes with HL1: Source.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 12:22 PM   #60
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

as an end user, i just hope that hl2 doesnt suck, like some other game, ahem*unreal2. and as for the mod community comment i made way back. i should refine it by saying that its more user friendly. plus, there are more GOOD mods for hl than ut2003/4 and q2/3. and dont say team fortress, thats out for every game.

great mods (in my opinion) for: hl: counter strike (duh. well, i only liked it when it was still a beta and before valve bought it and pretended they created it), esforces, dod, rocket crowbar (awesome mod), science and industry, and vampire slayer. there are more, but i liked these the most

ut/2003/4: red orchestra, godz, strike force. and mutators are great, ill give them that.

q2/3: hmmm...well i dont remember playing any mods for either 2 or 3.

again, this is just my opinion, if anyone wants to flame me.. well, i really cant do too much about that now can i?
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote