Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-04, 06:16 PM   #1
oldsk00l

Default ATI under fire ahhhhhahahahaha

I only signed this petition yesterday, and it was at 2,612 signatures. Checked today and it's 3600+

Anyone who wants to sign it be my guest, nVidia users welcome. Just stated "I run nVidia, especially because of ATI's crap drivers".

http://www.petitiononline.com/atipet/petition.html

roflmao
oldsk00l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 01:53 PM   #2
AthlonXP1800

Default Re: ATI under fire ahhhhhahahahaha

Oh I thought ATI headquarters are under fire.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 02:48 PM   #3
DivotMaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsk00l
Anyone who wants to sign it be my guest, nVidia users welcome. Just stated "I run nVidia, especially because of ATI's crap drivers".

roflmao
Don't know if it is just me, but why would an nVidia user care about an ATI driver petition? What exactly do you have to gain?
DivotMaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 04:47 PM   #4
Thunderbird

Really ignore that petition. For some months they have been working on REAL linux drivers. Those drivers are different from the ones they are currently maintaining. Just watch out for future ATI driver releases ..
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 06:01 PM   #5
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

hey, maybe ati will get off their asses finally and realize that they shot themselves in the foot when deciding not to do linux drivers properly... any time i get in this argument with someone, they claim "well, there is no money to be made with linux" bull****, i bet less than 1% of all linux users even know about this petition, and it is up to 5,000 signatures already (4,991) -- at $300 per video card, that's $1,497,300 -- no money to be made for linux my ass. i understand not all of them are getting $300 video cards, but some are getting higher than that. the majority of the vote from what i saw had a $100 or higher video card.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 07:34 PM   #6
oldsk00l

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Really ignore that petition. For some months they have been working on REAL linux drivers. Those drivers are different from the ones they are currently maintaining. Just watch out for future ATI driver releases ..
Well, honestly I do hope that petition would force them to let out a beta, heck, alpha version of those drivers. By all indications though, searching for cygwin and mtippett is really really discouraging. Based on the evidence I've seen I'm not convinced they are working on any different codebase from what we've seen in public knowledge. Also, because of how they are developing from cygwin we won't likely see any 64-bit drivers until a 64-bit windows environment shows up. I also don't like that they are using gcc really to compile the core of their driver code.

I kind of think you have it a bit backwards. The 3.2.8 drivers were a strong foundation to build from, for whatever reason three series of drivers after that release were slower, and it wasn't until the latest release that the performance at least matched that version of driver. It would appear they scrapped that code and started maintaining newer, unfortunately horribly optimized and slow code. From what I gather, ATI had a developer contracted out of Germany, wanted him to relocate to CA, and he gave them the middle finger. Linux drivers downhill since.

[edit]
Also, the current driver does not even conform to OGL 1.0 standards. If they are working on an uber-driver, it'd sure do them alot more good than bad to release something now.

@BigBerthea

You're right, to the NV community it's kind of a double edged sword. You sign the petition saying "bwahaha, ATI is teh suxX0rs my nVidia drivers pWn j00!!!!" and then ATI looks at that and writes some AWESOME drivers complete with a control panel etc etc. Then you haven't gained anything, on the other hand spiting ATI sure is fun lately......
Old 08-22-04, 09:16 PM   #7
hlfmanhlfamazng

Originally posted by BigBerthaEA

Don't know if it is just me, but why would an nVidia user care about an ATI driver petition? What exactly do you have to gain?

-------------------------------------

It's just you...........

You have ******ALOT*********** to gain by signing it. Nvidia's linux drivers are pretty good, yes. but like anything else they could always be better.

Nvidia for the time being has zero competition in this field so if they screw up or take their time it's not like you have anywhere to go anyways. You should sign that petition knowing that it puts nvidia in a corner, and at least lets them know that users want an alternative. You think they're not watching taht thing skyrocket as much as ATI is?

I've had a few of my friends that aren't even linux users sign it.
hlfmanhlfamazng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-04, 09:20 PM   #8
hlfmanhlfamazng

Kamel, I agree. One thing that people fail to remember/mention is that DRI supports ATI cards up to the r200 series. Granted that it's not fully supported(meaning advanced functions such as FSAA and AF and even HyperZ, me thinks but not completely sure) the majority of your important functions are gonna work, and work well(like most other open source drivers).

My current card is a FGL 8800.

Old 08-22-04, 10:36 PM   #9
holmes

ATI's linux drivers were the single greatest factor in my getting the 6800GT...

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 05:22 AM   #10
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

ati's linux drivers are the reason why i traded my 9800 pro aiw for an fx5900u.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-04, 11:09 PM   #11
oldsk00l

The [H] sure had an ATI friendly tone in their ATI Linux interview..

NOT!!!! BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA
If I could somehow capture that laugh that Dr. Betruger had in Doom3 when he imploded the monorail bridge in Doom3, I think that'd just about illustrate how I reacted to that interview and petition happening in a relatively short timeframe.
Old 08-24-04, 09:59 PM   #12
hlfmanhlfamazng

Oldskool....

The market is cycling yet again. Have you seen this recent article over at the inquirer?

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=18029

Just as ATI caught nVidia with their pants down a few years ago, life has come full circle. It's once again nVidia's turn. They've caught ATI with their pants down. Good for them.

That's why it doesn't pay to be a zealot.

The only thing that keeps me with ATI for now is the fact that they opened up some of their specs to the DRI. When I go to upgrade from my 8800, if ATI hasn't released more I'll most likely have a Geforce 8000 or whatever.