Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-19-04, 12:41 PM   #25
Valheru

Default Re: no sound with latest nforce drivers (1.0-0283)

That's really wack, are you sure that the only parameter you changed was the processor typre?
Valheru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-04, 02:55 PM   #26
brblueser

FYI: I had sent an email to nvidia staff (an "official bug report") a while ago, using their own script to generate technical info and such. A couple of days ago I've been contacted by one of their developers saying that they're aware of these problems and they seem to be specific to 2.6.* kernels, and that they're working on a new version that (hopefully) will fix them.
brblueser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 03:04 PM   #27
prego

Hey, brblueser, that sounds great.

Could you post it here, if you see something arround about the new version.

greetz p
prego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-04, 11:30 AM   #28
quan777

so is there any update on this problem? im currently experiencing the same thing, the drivers installed w/o a problem and the sound card SEEMS to get detected, however I get no sound! and when i run applications like VideoLan Client it dies and says that it cannot find the soundcard, or when I shutdown, the computer complains when ALSA is saving sound settings - it says it can't find a sound card either. This is really frustrating cuz i followed the instructions but it doesn't seem to work for me or the rest of you guys... =\

I have a ASUS A7N8X-E Deluxe
quan777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 02:53 PM   #29
hawklen

Don't know if I should post this here, but I get the sound driver installed by the installer fine, edit out the intel alias in the conf files, add the nvsound ones, when it reboots, it hangs on the nvsound module. (Im running gentoo 2004.2, 2.6.8 kernel)

Ive read if you disable acpi it will work. Thing is, Im running a SATA drive, seems it needs it on, stops when loading the scsi drivers. Can ctrl-alt-del fine tho, no hang up

even compiled a kernel with no acpi support. same thing as passing acpi=off to the kernel.

Really frustrating. sound works in 2.1 (I have a 5.1 setup) with the intel modules.

Any suggestions? Should I whip off an email to nvidia? Thanks for any help. Im banging my head here.
hawklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 11:53 AM   #30
prego

Hi again,

got it finaly working.

I had to install kernel 2.6.7 cause i can't burn with my IDE-Drives (they made some security issues to the Devices, don't know exactly). After that i tried again with the nvaudio-drivers. And surprisingly it worked.

I've tried also with 2.6.9RC3 - but I can't compile the nvidia-grafik-driver there. So i switched back to 2.6.7. Even my special Dolby-Amplifier setup works fine. NVMixer works great.

Hope that helps someone.

greetz p
prego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-04, 02:18 PM   #31
Valheru

Quote:
Originally Posted by prego
Hi again,

got it finaly working.

I had to install kernel 2.6.7 cause i can't burn with my IDE-Drives (they made some security issues to the Devices, don't know exactly). After that i tried again with the nvaudio-drivers. And surprisingly it worked.

I've tried also with 2.6.9RC3 - but I can't compile the nvidia-grafik-driver there. So i switched back to 2.6.7. Even my special Dolby-Amplifier setup works fine. NVMixer works great.

Hope that helps someone.

greetz p
****ing unbelievable I thought about installing the 2.7 kernel at one stage and then forgot about it. THis finally works for me - over my SPIDF output to my Dolby Digital reciever then. Kaffeine with Passthrough enabled works like a charm with AC3 encoded files - no luck with analogue audio though. i'm off to fix things Thanks for the heads up - sound never sounded better, even in Windows :up:
Old 10-05-04, 06:19 PM   #32
Valheru

Ok, it works. Lots of problems though - to get sound in games you have to pipe the sound through aRTs :x Doom3 runs fast as buggery when you don't, but the sound stutters like hell. When you do pipe it, the frame rates are in the single digits UT2004 won't get sound no matter what.

Music is brilliant though. And watching films on my home cinema set rocks harder than ever

Please NVIDIA, port this driver to ALSA and resolve these issues FFS. This si a really good piece of hardware and it would be nice to use it in Linux as well as is possible in Windows.

Old 10-05-04, 08:56 PM   #33
hawklen

Yes nvidia. I agree with valheru. ALSA please

On gentoo, with 2.6.8 kernel. Some how I got my rear speakers working (analog) So, no I have 4.1 sound. Using the intel 8x0 driver, since the nvsound module still hangs my system No idea what I fiddled with to get my rear speakers working. Center doesnt work, and I can control the LFE but, still, DVD's sound alot better.
hawklen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-04, 05:31 PM   #34
Valheru

Well. They just released new drivers. Still OSS, but hey. They work. Flawlessly. As far as I can tell. Both analogue speakers and digital speakers work now. At the same time, even. I havn't tested any games yet, but at least I can watch films and play MP3's flawlessly. If I was a ****sucker, I'd be sucking dev dick until Christmas Thanks devs Now please port this to ALSA.

/edit : UT2004 works flawlessly as well. Looks like I'm going to be spending quite a while on my knees