Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-26-04, 04:38 AM   #1
pfudd

Unhappy Fedora Core 2 - works fine, except freezing in bzflag after 5 minutes

Hi...

I'm so close to a perfect system, I can taste it.

The screen looks good, the Nvidia installer worked without a problem, and the changes to the xorg.conf file were easy. Glxgears works fine.

My problem is in my favorite game: bzflag.

After 5 minutes (or so) my screen freezes for 20 seconds. Up until that, everything is rock solid, fast, I can turn the 'quality' setting way up and finally turn on texturing. The system comes back after a while, but will go away again shortly. If I get out of the game between freezes, I can use normal 2d applications (mozilla, evolution, rxvt) without difficulty (no more freezes).

I'm using a 2.8Mhz Pentium 4 with hyperthreading, linux kernel 2.6.8.1 with 8k stacks that I compiled myself, framebuffer turned off, and 900mb of ram. I installed NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run, and apart from having to compile itself, there were no problems.

lspci says:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440] (rev a3)

Help!
pfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-04, 02:52 PM   #2
pfudd

Default Re: Fedora Core 2 - works fine, except freezing in bzflag after 5 minutes

I'm back... remember when I said all it would do is freeze and come back?

I tried to play through all that, and after a while the screen filled with a repeating pattern and the computer froze. I had to hit the reset key to get out of it.
Old 08-27-04, 02:18 AM   #3
pfudd

Default Re: Fedora Core 2 - works fine, except freezing in bzflag after 5 minutes

- your video card
GeForce4 MX 440
- your driver version
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run
- your distribution
Fedora Core 2
- your video bios revision (look in /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0 while X is running)
- your processor
Pentium 4
- your motherboard model (especially if you're having lockups)
ASUS P4P800-VM-UAY
Old 08-27-04, 02:24 AM   #4
pfudd

For what it's worth, I'm attaching my xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log files.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.8 KB, 224 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (29.8 KB, 174 views)
Old 08-27-04, 02:28 PM   #5
maveric7911

I had alot of problems with core2 until I downloaded a new kernel non fedora. I am using the ck core from http://www.linux-militia.net/ . Maybe give that a try seems it fixed most of my bugs in core too. Its right on the top right of the screen.
maveric7911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 04:22 PM   #6
energyman76b

Hi,

try without hyperthreading (in most cases it will cause a slowdown) and check your fans.
This looks a lot like overheating!
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-04, 05:32 PM   #7
maveric7911

well as I was saying I am usuing a ht cpu as well but the fedora kernel is fubar trust me grab that kernel and compile it my system is 2x faster and its actually working correctly. Fedora core 2 kernels really just arn't great and cause alot of problems.
maveric7911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 02:36 AM   #8
pfudd

About the kernel: I got rid of the FC2 kernel early on. I might try turning off SMP.

About overheating: Is there a way to use lmsensors (or some other program) to read the temperature, or do I need to hold a thermometer to the card? Opening the cover is going to disturb the temperature.

Oh, and further testing shows that running glxgears will cause the system to crash, although I didn't stay around long enough to see it happen. There's nothing quite as boring as waiting for a crash!

Old 09-01-04, 01:43 AM   #9
pfudd

Hi again...

Well, I found two or three more things out...

1) When bzflag or glxgears lock up, I can still ssh in. The mouse still moves. The keyboard doesn't work (Ctrl-alt-backspace and ctrl-alt-f1/f2/f3 don't work).

2) If I tell bzflag to use a lower resolution than 1600x1200, I can play a lot longer (but bzflag just froze a few minutes ago; when it unfroze (15 seconds later) I immediately hit F12 to get out). However, some resolution settings cause the display to explode into a lot of pretty colored pixels. If I leave bzflag, the display doesn't restore itself. If bzflag has any display settings at all in its configuration file, starting it will cause the pixel explosion, even with display settings that work. I have to manually edit the config file before starting bzflag, then pick a lower resolution (1024x768 preferably) once bzflag is started.

3) When I've sshed in, bzflag.elf and X are the top two processes, using all cpu. I can kill off bzflag.elf, but when I kill off X (which is restarted immediately by kdm), the display goes black, and the new X process cannot be killed off, even with kill -9.
Old 09-06-04, 04:41 AM   #10
pfudd

Exclamation Re: Fedora Core 2 - works fine, except freezing in bzflag after 5 minutes

Whoohoo, what a rush. Played bzflag on the very same machine, but with windows 98se and the latest drivers. Cranked up the resolution, turned on all the features, and played until it locked up.

That took about 5 minutes from start of game to freeze.

So, the lockup problem is not linux.

Note: I installed win98se *today* just for the express purpose of testing bzflag and my nvidia card. Latest windows updates, directx, nvidia drivers.

Someone said that this may be an overheating problem. What do I have to do to fix this?

Thanks!
Old 09-06-04, 10:26 AM   #11
comag

As energyman76b allready says its look like your CPU is overheating. (maybe freqency throttle down )

download gkrellm and look at your temperatures !
comag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 10:36 AM   #12
energyman76b

Hi,

as I said, check your fans!
Is your CPU cooler adequate and clean?
Is your northbridge cooler clean?
Is the cooling solution of your card adequate and clean?

After cleaning your heatsinks and fans, let your case open, when playing bzflag, and, as comag said, get gkrellm and controll your temps and (!) voltages. Some PSUs are breaking in, if they have to power a high loaded system, while an idleing system is not a danger. And PSUs are full of dust too, so, cleaning it, would be a good idea, but be carefull, do not touch anything inside the PSU! (this is the moment, where you should buy some compressed air.)
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote