Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-08-04, 02:34 AM   #13
pfudd

Default Re: Fedora Core 2 - works fine, except freezing in bzflag after 5 minutes

I've set up lmsensors, and ran burncpu on it until it maxed out. It went to 53C, and didn't crash.

What temperature range is associated with crashing?

And if it's not the CPU temperature, could it be the GPU temperature?

Note, this box is 6 months old; never had a problem until I put in the GeForce4 from my old computer.

Hmm. I've *finally* taken the case off, and it appears the GeForce4 fan may not be spinning. I'm going to take a closer look with the power off.

*blip*
pfudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 02:35 AM   #14
pfudd

Default Re: Fedora Core 2 - works fine, except freezing in bzflag after 5 minutes

Err, I mean, I'll see if it's clogged with the power off, not whether it goes round and round with the power off... :-)
Old 09-08-04, 03:23 AM   #15
pfudd

Exclamation Re: Fedora Core 2 - works fine, except freezing in bzflag after 5 minutes

Ok, yes, the GPU fan had stopped. I forced it around a few times by hand, and it got a bit easier, and I made it spin even faster and better with the vacuum cleaner. When I put it back together it now spins, but slowly, like 100rpm. Yes, I really mean it goes around twice a second. *sssslllllooooowwwww*

Time for a new fan (or a new card). Where can I get one of these dinky fans? Or is there a better solution?
Old 09-08-04, 09:17 AM   #16
comag

yes, you can hold the vacuum cleaner over the GPU to suck the hot air away and play with the other hand.
comag is offline   Reply With Quote