Smile Interesting thread on Doom 3 outdoor environments

http://forums.3drealms.com/ubbthread...o=93&fpart=all
Seoulstriker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 02:41 PM   #2
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman
Default Re: Interesting thread on Doom 3 outdoor environments

Meh, the link doesn't work.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 03:26 PM   #3
Seoulstriker

did you click on the link?
Old 08-27-04, 03:30 PM   #4
ragejg
nV News Alumni

Send a message via AIM to ragejg

it works.

2010-2011 Reviews: GTX 570 | GTX 580 | GTS 450 | GTX 460 | GTX 465
Pre-2010 Reviews: 6600 GT | XMS 4400 DDR | SilenX Cooler | 6800 | 5900 XT | Personal Cinema | 5900 NU

Phenom II x6 1090t @ 4.0 ghz | Asus M498TD-EVO Am3 SLI nForce 980a | 2x EVGA GTX 560 SLI | 2x4gb DDR3-1333 | Antec EarthWatts EA650 PSU | 60gb Mushkin Calisto Enhanced Sandforce SSD | 2x WD2500KS RAID 0 | Sunbeam Tuniq 3 case | 24" Asus 19x10 LED LCD | 26" Panasonic 720p TV | Sidewinder X5 mouse | Logitech MX5500 & Revolution mouse | Altec Lansing 5.1 THX-Certified audio | Win 7 Ultimate | desk | couch

ragejg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 03:45 PM   #5
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seoulstriker
i had done a similar test one year ago in the beta wanted to know how big outdoors in DOom3 can be but without eye candy.. just designed a huge empty box in the editor of a ridiculous big size... with a huge source of light.. the map was so big that no matter how much lights i added it was all black most of the time. so added a path of light in a straight line to not be lost in the level running in circles ,and it took me ~7minutes in fly by fly (noclip mode) to reach the end. it means that in Doom3 any Mod with flyable vehicles can be done can be done . any FArcry/Hl2/Halo outdoor map will fits nicely in DOom3 many times . if you were running (no flying) in the level ,it will take near ~ 1hour crossing it. for comparisons the Stalker beta map leaked on the net ,can be crossed entirely to its the limits in much less than 5 minutes.. however the retail game will be far bigger since every map will be conected together to create just 1 big level.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 04:01 PM   #6
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

My bad, it does work. Not enough patiance to wait for it to load... On the topic, who cares what engine can do what? I'm not paying $50 for an engine, I want a the damn game.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 04:28 PM   #7
holmes

The surface_beta map linked to somewhere in the thread is pretty interesting. The textures up close don't look so good, but it's a start..

The Rig
ASRock 970 Extreme3 AM3+
AMD Athlon II x2 260
DDR3-1600 (2x2GB) Kingston HyperX
Western Digital caviar 1TB
ECS GeForce GT 220 1GB
Cooler Master Storm Scout ATX case
Corsair 750W PSU
holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-04, 05:01 PM   #8
Nv40
Agent-Fx

btw.. there is a debate there ..where some "Experts" says doom3 can't do detailed large outdoors enviroments.. just like Hl2.. and they are wrong. they "detailed" doesnt depends on the engine or game limits but on the level designer. if the level designer doesnt have any skill it will be impossible for him to create a "detailed" outdoor no matter which game he use. the only valid point overthere is that Doom3 outdoors will be more limited than Hl2 by the performance of your hardware . but that is because you have in DOom3 much nicer ligting and more advanced graphics. doom3 can do detailed large outdoors enviroments in the same way Call of Duty have done it with the quake3 engine. but of course with more advanced graphics. once Call of duty2 is released in the Doom3 engine people will have a diferent idea about what Doom3 can do or not. but also QUake4 will awe everyone when they see the huge list of driveable vehicles the game will have.. wanna gues where does 4x4 vehicles will be used in quake4 ??
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-04, 04:51 AM   #9
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

"I'm not paying $50 for an engine, I want a the damn game."
With the mod community like it is anymore, I'm more interested in the engine than the game.
Old 09-06-04, 12:26 PM   #10
Drumphil

EH?? doom3 looks great and the engine is great, but it isn't optimised for large outdoor areas. You couldn't replicate farcry graphics with a doom3 mod. The engine in its current form isn't capable of doing that sort of thing. Same thing goes the other way round. I don't see what all the fighting is about.

Quote:
the same way Call of Duty have done it with the quake3 engine.
the people who made call of duty have said that the basically the only quake 3 code left in the engine is the menu system. And its still not capable of anything like the outdoor scale of the farcry engine.
Old 09-06-04, 04:09 PM   #11
Kamel
Hardware Mass Murderer

Send a message via ICQ to Kamel Send a message via AIM to Kamel Send a message via MSN to Kamel Send a message via Yahoo to Kamel Send a message via Skype™ to Kamel

lol, so you're telling me they spent the money on licensing the engine only to use the menus? riiight, and i bought my car just so i could use the rear view mirror. give me a break, that's retarded. if you were proficiant with the q3 engine, you would be able to tell just how much code stayed the same without asking the devs, and believe me, it was not "just the menu system".

i'm always willing to give someone the benefit of the doubt though, just give me links.
hardware murdered so far: geforce 5900u, deceised: sat on it. geforce 6600gt deceised: improperly mounted heatsink. 3 asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboards, deceised: unsure. mobile amd xp2600 processor, deceised: chipped core due to compusa heatsink. dfi lanparty ultra b, deceised: unsure, third memory bank went out. samsung cd burner 48x40x48, deceised: unsure, will only read pressed cd's very slowly. samsung TH552C dvd burner (dual layer), deceised: same as other samsung . 10gb seagate 5200rpm drive, deceised: tried fixing a pin that was pushed into the drive by inserting an ide cable upside down. 40gb maxtor drive, deceised: maxtor manufacturer. 80gb western digital, deceised: unnatural causes. swan xt10, deceised: brutal pre-meditated murder, even video taped (it wasn't y2k compliant). logitech mx510, deceised: death by electricution. ati remote wonder, deceised: death by electricution.
Kamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 04:40 PM   #12
Seoulstriker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumphil
EH?? doom3 looks great and the engine is great, but it isn't optimised for large outdoor areas. You couldn't replicate farcry graphics with a doom3 mod. The engine in its current form isn't capable of doing that sort of thing. Same thing goes the other way round. I don't see what all the fighting is about.

the people who made call of duty have said that the basically the only quake 3 code left in the engine is the menu system. And its still not capable of anything like the outdoor scale of the farcry engine.

What in earth are you talking about? FarCry is very doable in D3, but not the other way around. FarCry is just a technologically inferior engine.