Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-04, 01:55 AM   #25
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Default Re: finally stable 61.11? [patch inside]

I am running reiser4, so no 4k stacks...

The acpi_skip_timer_override makes (afaik) only sense for an nforce2 mobo which bios is made from an outdated reference bios (good morning Abit... ).

BTW, yesterday I got the famous soft lockup, where the cursor stil works, but nothing else. I guess nvagp doesn't like speedfreq too much. If it happens again (now testing w/o speedfreq), I'll switch back to agpgart, as this worked with speedfreq w/o problems.
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 01:59 AM   #26
ViRgiLiO

The life is imposible with these drivers (series6). I have to restart my machine every one or two hours (sometimes even after few minutes). I m sick of trying kernels, config, struggling with lilo putting exotic parameters (usepirqmask, etc...), and nothing happens. The patch from PrakashKC was an dream come to a nightmare: doesnt work.
Please. Please. Do something. New release. A few words from Mechan. Whatever. But, I can t live with nithgtmare.
Attached Files
File Type: txt config-kernel.txt (25.9 KB, 192 views)
File Type: txt lilo.conf.txt (671 Bytes, 157 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.6 KB, 218 views)
ViRgiLiO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 02:41 AM   #27
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

I am back to AGPGART. It is stable while NvAGP is not. It seems FastWrites should definately be deactivated. It locked up using both, NvAGP and AGPGART
Old 09-09-04, 02:55 AM   #28
ScofieldKid

I guess that would be something for me to try also. I mean before shucking out another $200 for another boat anchor. I could kick this 2885 Thunder down to AGP 4X and disable fast writes. It just seems so lame to be turning off features. Damn, so close to a good working hardware/software platform. Just simply not stable/predictable.
ScofieldKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-04, 07:27 AM   #29
ScofieldKid

Ugh. Couldn't do either of these things successfully. One the BIOS wouldn't do, the other made system non-bootable. So we iz stuck...
Old 09-18-04, 08:03 AM   #30
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Can't you force both settings via nvidia module parameters?
Old 09-18-04, 09:32 AM   #31
ScofieldKid

I'm trying 2.6.8-1.521smp right now. We'll see how this goes.

As for passing options to nvidia, is that documented somewhere?
Old 09-18-04, 12:24 PM   #32
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

There shouldbe a README coming with the nvidia driver...

Old 09-18-04, 12:31 PM   #33
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

ParkashKC.. KC = Khadka Chetri?
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-04, 06:03 PM   #34
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

Nope.
Old 09-18-04, 11:02 PM   #35
ScofieldKid

Thumbs down Re: finally stable 61.11? [patch inside]

Ok. It looks like to force 4X the most appropriate method would be to edit the file os-registry.c and set "NVreg_ReqAGPRate =4"; You also have to see the nv_pararms section there to have ReqAGPRate set to 1 to activate it. So that seems to work. It puts it to 4X here. So I'm trying that now. I think this is my last go.

The Fedora Core 2 2.6.8-1.521 SMP config, well, I could never get that to fly on this K8W with dual opterons. But a straight non-redhat version of the kernel, 2.6.8.1, that is what I am running with. I tried virtually every possible combo of agpgart and rivafb framebuffer avoidance settings from none-to-module-to-static on the FC2 2.6.8-1.521 code, the nvidia driver would always produce a black screen and hurt the machine badly when using "NvAgp". If you let it use the poorer agpgart that is the default, well then you would have X. But the performance under that is awful.

So two choices for 2.6.8-1.521: either black screen of death, or really bad performance on the agpgart. What an adventure in pain. I think other people will likely be posting on this. There really is no good combination if you update, fb, agpgart, it don't matter... it is a show stopper if you want to run NvAgp under 2.6.8-1.521. The really bad part of that is you miss out on the lovely tweaks that the FC2 folks have done in other places. Sad.

So I'm just going to fly like this, 2.6.8.1 non-rpm. It gets you most of
the way to where you want to be... but it does take you off the track
in terms of RPM handling... 2 cents.

And... voila. Just had a lockup. So 4X with Fast Writes disabled, still bad. Ugh. I'll probably move this card to a different platform, different motherboard, different chipset and see what happens. I'm starting to think that the TYAN K8W just might not be worth attempting if you want to do this kind of stuff. It is kind of crappy that all of the early reviews of the K8W under Linux were so positive.

It still is quite cool that NVIDIA is supporting this OS, nevertheless.

Last edited by ScofieldKid; 09-23-04 at 10:29 PM.
Old 09-24-04, 11:23 PM   #36
madpat

Like ScofieldKid I've been messing around with various combinations. Board is a Tyan K8W populated with two Opterons, 2 GB memory in 4 DIMMs, 2 per CPU, and a Geforce 6800GT AGP card. I've had no end of problems trying to get decent speed out of the K8W, some 32 bit builds seem fine but 64 bit builds very slow. Tried PCI Radeon 9200, PCI Geforce4 MX440, PCI GeForceFX 5200, AGP Radeon 9800XT, all slow (unusably so) on 64 bit build. The 6800GT is the first card that runs at sensible speed on x86_64.

Tried initially with FC2 2.6.8.1-521smp kernel which resulted in a hard lock some time while the machine was unattended. Built a vanilla 2.6.8.1 and frobbed the nvidia source code as ScofieldKid has suggested, so far seems stable enough. But I found a weird "feature" accidentally, pertaining to the NvAGP option. Being too much in a rush I didn't RTFM and I set Option "NvAGP" "on". This threw up a warning in Xorg.log.0 but ran fine, and returned decent speed. Very decent speed. Realising the error of my ways I set NvAGP to 1, checked Xorg.log.0 and hey presto, using the internal AGP support. Odd thing is, it's slower than it was before. OK, try it with NvAGP set to 0, and that too is damn slow. Set it back to "on" and curiously it's quick again!

Dunno what others are getting on glxgears, this puppy is reporting around 12,300 frames per second, yet with the NVidia internal AGP on it's down at 4000 frames per second.

Will keep an eye on it to see if it remains stable or not....
madpat is offline   Reply With Quote