Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-02-02, 03:58 PM   #1
TNT

Default Linux won't boot

Hello, I have a problem booting linux. Neither lilo nor grub will boot linux on my machine, while they are able to boot windows.
I have an SCSI hard drive on a PCI Adaptec 19160 controller, and it is the primary boot device (I have win98se installed there).
On my motherboard (Asus A7V KT133) there are 2 integrated IDE controllers. On the first controller, secondary channel, I have attached a CD ROM drive and a CD-RW drive, while on the second controller, as primary master, I have an Ultra ATA100 hard disk... and that's where I installed linux (Mandrake 9). I think it's needless to say that from DOS I can't see the hard disk on that controller (and yes, there is also a FAT32 partition on it and it's accessible from Windows). Now lilo or grub on the MBR (that would be on the SCSI hard disk) fail to load linux leaving me with a black screen and a blinking cursor... while booting windows works, and booting linux from a floppy works too.
Any ideas anybody?
Thanks for helping.
TNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-02, 01:20 PM   #2
Klaus-P

Hmmm, could you please post your /etc/lilo.conf
after booting from a floppy or linux CD/DVD.
Klaus-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-02, 12:25 PM   #3
TNT

Here it is. I've just done an installation upgrade to fix a thing, and I reinstalled LILO so I could copy lilo.conf for you. I had removed LILO before (fdisk /mbr from D.O.S prompt) 'cause it was pretty useless since it wouldn't boot linux.
Obviously lilo.conf was still there, so the labels MandrakeLinux and Windows98 were the ones I had put the first time I installed lilo. All the others linux-related labels were put by lilo itself when I re-installed it.
Anyway, even as a novice to linux, I don't see anything weird in my lilo.conf.
Attached Files
File Type: txt lilo.conf.txt (1.1 KB, 198 views)
Old 11-05-02, 06:21 AM   #4
Klaus-P

I'm assuming that hde is really correct (do also check it in your /etc/fstab) and not hda or something else but hde

Well, write in SEPARATE LINES in /etc/lilo.conf

disk = /dev/sda
bios = 0x80
disk = /dev/hde
bios = 0x81

and run lilo again.

Well there is a lot of more stuff about lilo configuration (and lilo versions etc,..) to check and to test, etc,...
Btw the default setting would be to use your ide drive with linux as boot device and configure lilo
appropriately.

But maybe my suggestion will help.
Klaus-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-02, 05:05 PM   #5
TNT

It's working now. Thanks for helping.