Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-04, 04:30 PM   #1
coldflameuk

Unhappy HELP! Slackware 10 problems with a pair of nvidia cards

Setup:

in AGP slot:
NVIDIA geForce 2 MX400 card, connected to a Philips 170S4 TFT monitor.

in 1st PCI slot:
NVIDIA geForce 2 MX200 card, connected to a Philips 170S4 TFT monitor.

512MB RAM, Athlon XP 2000+ CPU, etc etc etc

View my /etc/X11/xorg.conf file here: http://www.pastebin.com/94216

Problem description:

With the current xorg.conf file (as shown on the pastebin URL) is used, X starts normally and everything is fine. however, this file only uses the "nv" driver. I have spent 9 hours straight today trying to get the "nvidia" drivers to work. if I do nothing else to this config file and I just replace the "nv" with "nvidia", X hangs completely, taking the keyboard and screen with it. the only way to recover from this is to ssh in from another box and reboot the machine remotely. I have tried recompiling the kernel without the rivafb module included (because there is a problem with the nvidia drivers and that module apparently) and I get exactly the same problem. I've tried everything I can think of on this - I've tried using every single nvidia linux driver from 4496 up to 6111 and they all give the same problem.

This exact same setup worked perfectly first time with Slackware 9.1, however I had different problems on that OS that I couldn't solve which is why I have upgraded to 10.

Has anyone else experienced similar problems? does anyone have a solution???
coldflameuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-04, 04:33 PM   #2
coldflameuk

Default Re: HELP! Slackware 10 problems with a pair of nvidia cards

by the way, the output from /var/log/Xorg.0.log is not very helpful at all. This is all I get before X hangs:

http://www.pastebin.com/94217
Old 08-23-04, 10:12 PM   #3
kirkengaard
Former IT Slave

Send a message via ICQ to kirkengaard Send a message via AIM to kirkengaard

Your pastebin URLs don't come up with information, so I can't read your output to debug. We'll start from the top.

X hangs are a pain, because X reaches through so many layers of the system, and doesn't always play nice with lower-level software.

What I hear you saying (and infer) is that X works with default kernel and the nv driver. When you compile 6111 (or any other), load the nvidia module (check for nvidia in lsmod output), and change the driver name in xorg.conf, starting X locks up hard.

I'm going to assume you're also loading glx and not loading dri or GLcore, as per TFM.

1) X doesn't dump you back out to CLI, so we can presume at least enough is right with your xorg.conf to at least grab a terminal and load a driver. At this point in diagnosis, it would help to know where X hangs (blank screen, nVIDIA logo, GUI splash, etc).

2) everything else is responsive (i.e. your system will respond to remote access), so not everything is out to lunch, just X and local I/O

so, we're down to driver snafu where X is choking on something after initializing. It appears to be dependent on nvidia.o being present, but not version specific, which usually leaves kernel drivers. You mention recompiling the default kernel. Have you gone through and tailored the kernel to your hardware, or did you just unset the rivafb option? Have you tried a more recent kernel than 2.4.26 (2.6 is lovely and stable, and 2.4 is in rc for .28); later kernels fix bugs in earlier kernels, by and large. The output from 'grep [y/m] /usr/src/linux/.config' would be useful.

Also, you said it worked 'first time' in 9.1. You wouldn't happen to have tarballed your /etc before reinstall/upgrade and thereby have your XF86Config lying about? The syntax is the same in xorg.conf, just with a different name; you might try swapping in your old, but functional, config and seeing if that makes a difference. Also assuming that you had the nVidia driver working under 9.1.

I also have no experience with dual video cards, so I don't know what you have to do special to get those working; I'm starting from what I do know, and working up.
Abit BE7-RAID - 2.8GHz P4 - 1.5GB PC2700 - Chaintech GeForce FX 5900XT (450/750 stable) - Slackware-current, 2.6.[MOST RECENT]-rcX-[mmX,rtX]. KIDS: DO TRY THIS AT HOME! (just not on production equipment)
kirkengaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 05:44 AM   #4
coldflameuk

Hi,

The old XF86Config file from Slackware 9.1 that worked perfectly is here: http://www.linux-forum.co.uk/stuff/XF86Config

To be honest, I've not actually tried this file yet. (I know, I should have....!)

I am going to give it a go when I get home from work, and I'll post and advise the outcome of that.

if it fails (which I suspect it will), I will post the output from 'grep [y/m] /usr/src/linux/.config'

Currently, X hangs on a blank black screen when trying to run, before the NVIDIA logo comes up.

I will paste again later today when I get home and test the old XF86Config file (I can't believe I didn't think of that before!)

Thanks
Old 08-24-04, 11:12 AM   #5
coldflameuk

OK - update - I tried the XF86Config file I posted above (and yes, I removed the load dri line and renamed it to xorg.conf ) and tried it with the 6111 driver...

no joy. still exactly the same symptoms as before. the second card initialises (that is, you see the graphics card bios come up on the screen with the name of the card, etc) and then both screens go to black and the system becomes unresponsive to the keyboard. the only way to recover is again to remotely ssh in and reboot.

I am going to try a 2.6 kernel, and see how I go with that...
Old 08-24-04, 09:21 PM   #6
Steve@Vislab

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldflameuk
Has anyone else experienced similar problems? does anyone have a solution???
Yes, its a 6xxx driver issue. Downgrade to 5336 and that should fix it:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=35421

Cheers,
Steve
Steve@Vislab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-04, 10:47 PM   #7
kirkengaard
Former IT Slave

Send a message via ICQ to kirkengaard Send a message via AIM to kirkengaard

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldflameuk
OK - update - I tried the XF86Config file I posted above (and yes, I removed the load dri line and renamed it to xorg.conf ) and tried it with the 6111 driver...

no joy. still exactly the same symptoms as before. the second card initialises (that is, you see the graphics card bios come up on the screen with the name of the card, etc) and then both screens go to black and the system becomes unresponsive to the keyboard. the only way to recover is again to remotely ssh in and reboot.

I am going to try a 2.6 kernel, and see how I go with that...
That's sorta what I expected, means your xorg.conf is probably fine, or at any rate isn't the key, which you probably figured out already. But first rule of tech support is rule out the stupid stuff first.

Sounds like it's not a kernel I/O issue; my experience tends to be that they crop up without killing X outright (just making your system pretty AND locally useless).

curiosity (b/c now I'm itching to nab a second monitor and try it): the second card is only outputting X, and not normal command line, so it's only initialized through xorg.conf?

related smack of head: so the kernel doesn't touch the PCI video card? (maybe I have my head on sideways, anyone??) Have you tried it without the second card and does it make a difference?

It's nice that 10.0 speaks 2.6 fluently. I've had no problems, except for those caused by me cutting myself on the bleeding edge (sharper than rcX/preX, which tend to be nonlethal). And it's nice to have a capable replacement for devfs in udev/sysfs/hotplug. Another thought is to try your last functional kernel version (from 9.1; the default or whatever you had working, with old config. Cut down variables one at a time...
Abit BE7-RAID - 2.8GHz P4 - 1.5GB PC2700 - Chaintech GeForce FX 5900XT (450/750 stable) - Slackware-current, 2.6.[MOST RECENT]-rcX-[mmX,rtX]. KIDS: DO TRY THIS AT HOME! (just not on production equipment)
kirkengaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-04, 07:16 AM   #8
discord

Yeah I'm having the same problem I'll try that 5336 driver also. Man what a headache.
discord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-25-04, 07:33 AM   #9
discord

IM having similar problems with only one video card agp GF2MX and I tried the 5336 driver but it still crashes although it seems to get past the inital boot which the 6111 driver did not for me. After this as soon as I run an application such as mozilla or konqueror it crashes.
discord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-04, 10:25 AM   #10
coldflameuk

OK update... I've tried the 2.6.8.1 kernel on this system, and the 2.6.7 kernel, and neither of them work. they both produce the same problem again. I've tried the original kernel from the slackware 9.1 box (the one that worked fine before in slack 9.1) and I got the same problem. it works fine with just one card in, but with a second, it fails with the same problem as before.

I am now at a loss for this one... I have no idea what on earth it could be. I've now tried every single nvidia driver again from 4496 to 6111 and none of them work on th e twin screen setup.