Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-02, 12:48 PM   #25
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

I was surprised at how well it performed on my friend's 1700+ ti4600 system. Both are at stock speeds. It really gave me the creeps. Everyone should just calm down. If anything this alpha made me salivate over the final thing even more. It didn't ruin anything in my eyes, but that's just my $0.02.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
Old 11-05-02, 05:38 PM   #26
DoinkyBottoms

Send a message via AIM to DoinkyBottoms

I guess I should be glad. Nothing says I have to get it. This way I can get a feel for what I need to upgrade.
Old 11-06-02, 06:10 PM   #27
MikeC
Administrator

Ultimately, I think this will turn out for bettering the gaming industry. From my observations, it's clear that Doom III will lead the way in bringing us the graphics that so many of us have been craving for over the years. I think it's great that someone in the industry is finally going to be putting the "lighting" component of modern graphics accelerators to good use.
Old 11-06-02, 06:32 PM   #28
sebazve

Default Re: Doom 3 Alpha

Quote:
Originally posted by DoinkyBottoms
I hope the person responsible has his head bitten off and his ass fired.
we should give him an award for this
Old 11-06-02, 06:33 PM   #29
Red Dog
Join Norml today!

Im just glad to see some bump mapping action put to good use.

always thought it was one of the most promising technologies.
Old 11-06-02, 06:41 PM   #30
Red Dog
Join Norml today!

something tells me a head will be served on a platter. (maybe with some fava beans and a nice chianti)

too big a fubar to not have at least one sacrificial lamb.

especially since the software was watermarked.
Old 11-06-02, 06:47 PM   #31
A-KO

Send a message via AIM to A-KO

Doom 3 will be the game of the decade, it will set the pace for new games to come.

On a good note, i'm pleased to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this demo, despite the fact it runs like ass on my PC. Yes, that's right, runs like ****. Not that my PC is anything to write home about, simply put, the highest end systems are over 3x in clock speed than mine.

I ran it on a friennd's P4 1.5Ghz and had put my Ti4200 in his system...it ran great...We really didn't try any other resolution, but I must say it ran absolutely incredible....I am very pleased with it.

On the note of the 'first 3d game'..That is wrong. There are many games that used 3d. The most famous of which was Descent, which had the 'sector over sector' polygon-design for years before FPS' got it.

On a note of 640x480: I honestly have not noticed that it's 640x480, and have not evenn cared...my eyes have been concentrating on all the bad ass **** going on around inside that little demo.

On another note, I read a forum post on another forum where a guy had slandered ATI, saying ATI did it to bolster their R9700. He went on to say that ATI was stupid and that he would never pay $350 for a video card to run a game at such a low resolution(i believe he stated 800x600). It's obvious he's not a game veteran.

For those that remember the days..how much did a P2 266 cost? $500? WHat about the motherboard? And please dear god don't mention the cost of RAM. oh......and he'd **** a gold brick at the cost of the VIDEO system alone, where some people paid over $700 for a decent 3d video system BY ITSELF. This was the cost of 2 12MB Voodoos2 + the cost of a decent primary card.

It simply amazes me the amount of people that I have seen slander the game...if anything this is what makes me want to upgrade my PC. In the past 2 years I've seen nothing to make me really want to upgrade. Only the absolute latest technology has finally made me consider it. The specific items are Windows Media Player 9(the halo 2 wmv), UT2003(runs good, but with players on the screen it starts to hurt), and none other than Doom 3.

I love when such games come out because it GIVES a reason for an upgrade. There's no "WOW MY 120 FPS IS NOW 300!" It's more like "wow, I can actually play that game just barely at 35 FPS with all the details kicked up."

For the ancients that really remember...think of how Doom ran on a 386sx 33....that's how it runs on my PC....I have had the burden of both speeds, haha.

Upgrades, Upgrades, and more upgrades. Ahhh the joys of the PC world.
Old 11-06-02, 06:56 PM   #32
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

no kidding man..

p200mmx
4.3gb wd 3200rpm hd
64mb simm ram
matrox mystique 4mb
sony 17in 200sf
toshiba 12x cdrom
1.44mb floppy
yamaha yst-m15 2piece wit sub
microsoft mouse
generic keyboard

all that cost $3000!

the only thing i still use is the sony and yamaha speakers.
one great thing about purchasing quality components. they last for years

i don't think doom3 will be game of the decade..but the games using that engine surely will.

11118 3DMarks

Old 11-06-02, 06:59 PM   #33
The Baron

Quote:
Doom 3 will be the game of the decade
It was supposed to be a cinematic demo--you cannot make an actual opinion of the final game except MAYBE the tech involved from it.

Old 11-06-02, 07:09 PM   #34
A-KO

Yeah...I've been thinking more about it and I've realized that it won't have the profound impact that previous games had.

Lemme run them down:

Quake: Required us to upgrade to Pentium systems off of our aging 486s...for those that didnt have the $ for a brand spankingg new $3,000 P200. It needed more...it wanted more cpu...This wasn't very profound, though.

Quake 2: really introduced OpenGL into the FPS series. This was where it really took off. You absolutely, possitively, had to have the latest Pentium 2 system with at least an 8MB voodoo2($240) to run the game with OpenGL. That was *the system* to have. Though I did run it on a P166MMX with a 4MB Diamond Stealth 2. At this time, the voodoo2 was the god to have...and in SLI mode..LOL....

A lot of things happened duuring the QUake 2 era to make us upgrade..more and more games came out that wanted more frame buffer memory(800x600), and more texturing...not to mention UltraHLE, the n64 emulator, which *required* a voodoo2 and a P2 350 to run well. Not to mention when Unreal came out...that was *that*.

On a side note, on other parts of the 3d world, the company Rendition did some pretty good **** with their 3d gpus. For one, the v2x00 chips supported 32bit color at 640x480. They also, truthfully, had Edge Anti Aliasing available in Verite Quake 2. This was *extremely* early, and Vquake2 had other issues(no dynamic lighting, etc.), but by now just imagine where that would've taken off(considering it was introduced sometime in early 1998).

This was a prime combination that my friends and I had...so we had the best of both 3d worlds.

So yeah, Doom 3 won't have that profound of an impact...considering it will run decently on 1.5Ghz with a decent 3d card(Ti4600/R9700/NV30).
Old 11-06-02, 07:18 PM   #35
A-KO

SSC:

Your viewpoint is flawed. For one, this is obviously a pretty good representation of the final graphics involved. I cannot, and will never say that the final game will look any worse than it does *at this time*. Because it won't. If anything, the forecasts I have are for:

Optimized lighting - Soft Shadows are a no-no already, as i believe that was confirmed in carmack's .plan. Yet I still think there's a little bit that can be done to make them slightly more believable.

Higher Resolution Textures - It runs great on my 128MB card....I am quite sure these are probably 64MB textures in this 'tech demo', and I would expect to see no less than 128MB textures...I really hope to have 256MB on the game's release.

Maybe some optimizations to the bump and gloss mapping techniques.

I've seen other issues but they are perfectly acceptable considering the early date of this tech demo. I really can't see Carmack "dummying down the game" for all you people who are BITCHING about your systems not being able to handle the highhest details. Again, the idea is to make sure it requires the best of hardware. As I have explained, that has been a common aspect of every major id software engine release. So I really wont expect to see anything less. In fact, I really expect to see quite a bit more.

As for the Ti4600/R9700 performance difference.. That could be very well explained by the fact that the NV20 optimizations were not fully in place yet....However, I find this HARD TO BELIEVE considering again, in yet another Carmack plan, he stated he will not program it to look and play significantly better on one platform than another(i.e. you won't see doom 3 x86-64 nor will u see ATI's Truform on Doom 3). So it could be very possible that this performance difference is a 'natural' difference due to the fact that the 9700 renders the game in less passes than the Ti4600.....but again, this could be entirely shot down considering this 'demo' was not intended for the public, so they probably did do a quick optimization for the 9700 to show the game off..Not that I'm complaining about that, as I surely don't own a R9700 nor a system fast enough for me to even whine about the video card being the bottleneck in this game

He will try to get the games to run their best on the hardware but won't go out of his way to make a small niche happy.

I haven't really had any problems out of it..it's still amazing to look at nonetheless. I watch it from time and time again....and I am perfectly happy with this game in a 640x480 res....as the 640x480 is TOLERABLE to the immense detail that wennt into the game....

but I really hope for some higher res textures....
Old 11-06-02, 07:40 PM   #36
The Baron

Quote:
Your viewpoint is flawed. For one, this is obviously a pretty good representation of the final graphics involved.
Let me reiterate something.

VERSION ZERO POINT ZERO TWO.

This is about as early of something semi-playable as they come.

Quote:
I've seen other issues but they are perfectly acceptable considering the early date of this tech demo.
Uhh.... since when is an alpha that was made about a year before the game comes out considered a tech demo? I mean, hell, with that logic, I can call the Unreal 2 leaked alpha a "tech demo." But... it really has very, very little to do with the final game.

Quote:
As for the Ti4600/R9700 performance difference.. That could be very well explained by the fact that the NV20 optimizations were not fully in place yet....
Once again... V 0.02! ! ! ! ! ! !

IT'S NOT OPTIMIZED AT ALL! IT'S TO SHOW THE PRESS!

Jesus, Carmack was right when he told people not to make judgments based on the alpha. It was running on an R9700, it's going to contain R9700 stuff by default.

Hell, judging by the alpha, it's going to take up 12 gigs of hard drive space because everything will be uncompressed....

Closed Thread