Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 11-06-02, 06:51 PM   #37
A-KO

Send a message via AIM to A-KO

Dude, whhat in the **** are you talking about?

You are acting as if I'm sitting here saying that it requires so much and that OMG IMMA HAVE TO RUN OUT AND BUY A NEW SYSTEM.

It's obvious you're not getting a clue as to what Im saying.

I am actually very dissapointed if Carmack makes the final version of the game any LESS than this. In fact, If anything, I'm not sitting here saying the game has to be powerful, I am saying that I *WANT* the game to be powerful.

Let me reiterate something. When I sat there and said the game ran like **** on my computer, I am not lying. How the **** would you expect it to run on a Pentium 3 667Mhz computer, non overclocked, on a 133Mhz FSB?

It's not like I'm whining about perforamnce with an Athlon XP or Pentium 4..I'm whining about performance because my cpu is flat out *OLD*. Let me point it out to you, *OLD*. I know the performance issue has absolutely *0* to do with this alpha. It is 100% clearly obvious that it has to do with my *old ass cpu*.

I'm not making any judgements about the game. I could care less if it wanted mt to have the highest end system and hardware to play it at 30 FPS at 640x480. In fact, I am damn well INVITING that to happen. If anything, iwant it to mangle every piece of silicon in current ssystems just so it jumpstarts the computer market.
Old 11-06-02, 06:55 PM   #38
volt

OMG, sewage coming out of your mouth
If you don't calm down I will close this thread and that will be all for Doom 3 comments.

Wanna compromise?
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
Old 11-06-02, 06:58 PM   #39
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Quote:
Let me reiterate something.

VERSION ZERO POINT ZERO TWO.
Yeah really... people are spazzing out too much over this.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
Old 11-06-02, 07:05 PM   #40
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

woh..its just doom 3 alpha. point 0.02 for the press. there is no way you can make any assumption on what kind of hardware this game will need.

11118 3DMarks
Old 11-06-02, 07:11 PM   #41
A-KO

Well I've stated time and time again over what I would like to see in the game, where games have been and where they have come, and what expectations should be in place for Doom 3.

For the most part I've had some fairly decent and very knowledgeable posts, as anyone with an IQ greater than that of the Doom 3 leak revision can agree.

But what I have a problem with is when peopple come flat out and treat me as if I'm making these big, giant, huge complaints with this big system as if I'm some junkie whining thhat I just spent $2,000 on a system and it wont run higher than 30 FPS.

If anything, the person that is bringing such 'sewage' up, in fact is probably one of these people. Praying to god that he won't have to upgrade his system for Doom 3. Hiding behind the veil of 'it's just really old.'

If anything this person is probably whining himself over the fact it doesn't get a high FPS that everyone is so used to. It's upsetting....more and more is being placed on this 'frame rate' than there is to the actual increase of the usage of the hardware in games. Hiding behind "I dont want to see Displacement Mapping used in a game until about 6 generations of 3d hardware down the line when it can be done at 500 FPS."

It appears people have gotten so thrown off by a comment that Carmack made. He made, and still to this day, holds true to this comment that "Doom 3 requires nothing more than what is available on Geforce 2-class hardware."

Which is true....he's 100% true on that....but he NEVER stated anything about the performance of the features. He's just merely stating that Doom 3 will not use Pixel Shaders nor environment bump mapping. That's all he's stating. Yes, the geforce 2-class stuff can run Doom 3 with the features....there's no objection to that, it's just how *fast* they run it that people didn't seem to get here.

When he made the comments that GF3 was to be the target for 30 FPS, he clearly made this when the Geforce 3 was first introduced. It has long been past that, and I'm sure he has found that most people have upgraded to at least Geforce 4-class hardware, with R9700 out and NV30 on the way, and the target date of this game being Q1-Q203(though not official, i would imagine this is the time frame), that he could raise the bar on the performance requirements quite a bit from the GF3 remarks he made such a long time ago.

Face it people..this is the whole point behind id software engines and computer hardware. This is something that i pointed out in previous posts about it! That it is inevitable that one must upgrade.
Old 11-06-02, 07:15 PM   #42
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Red face

Quote:
Originally posted by A-KO
Dude, whhat in the **** are you talking about?

You are acting as if I'm sitting here saying that it requires so much and that OMG IMMA HAVE TO RUN OUT AND BUY A NEW SYSTEM.

It's obvious you're not getting a clue as to what Im saying.

I am actually very dissapointed if Carmack makes the final version of the game any LESS than this. In fact, If anything, I'm not sitting here saying the game has to be powerful, I am saying that I *WANT* the game to be powerful.

Let me reiterate something. When I sat there and said the game ran like **** on my computer, I am not lying. How the **** would you expect it to run on a Pentium 3 667Mhz computer, non overclocked, on a 133Mhz FSB?

It's not like I'm whining about perforamnce with an Athlon XP or Pentium 4..I'm whining about performance because my cpu is flat out *OLD*. Let me point it out to you, *OLD*. I know the performance issue has absolutely *0* to do with this alpha. It is 100% clearly obvious that it has to do with my *old ass cpu*.

I'm not making any judgements about the game. I could care less if it wanted mt to have the highest end system and hardware to play it at 30 FPS at 640x480. In fact, I am damn well INVITING that to happen. If anything, iwant it to mangle every piece of silicon in current ssystems just so it jumpstarts the computer market.

Well I've stated time and time again over what I would like to see in the game, where games have been and where they have come, and what expectations should be in place for Doom 3.

For the most part I've had some fairly decent and very knowledgeable posts, as anyone with an IQ greater than that of the Doom 3 leak revision can agree.

But what I have a problem with is when peopple come flat out and treat me as if I'm making these big, giant, huge complaints with this big system as if I'm some junkie whining thhat I just spent $2,000 on a system and it wont run higher than 30 FPS.

If anything, the person that is bringing such 'sewage' up, in fact is probably one of these people. Praying to god that he won't have to upgrade his system for Doom 3. Hiding behind the veil of 'it's just really old.'

If anything this person is probably whining himself over the fact it doesn't get a high FPS that everyone is so used to. It's upsetting....more and more is being placed on this 'frame rate' than there is to the actual increase of the usage of the hardware in games. Hiding behind "I dont want to see Displacement Mapping used in a game until about 6 generations of 3d hardware down the line when it can be done at 500 FPS."

It appears people have gotten so thrown off by a comment that Carmack made. He made, and still to this day, holds true to this comment that "Doom 3 requires nothing more than what is available on Geforce 2-class hardware."

Which is true....he's 100% true on that....but he NEVER stated anything about the performance of the features. He's just merely stating that Doom 3 will not use Pixel Shaders nor environment bump mapping. That's all he's stating. Yes, the geforce 2-class stuff can run Doom 3 with the features....there's no objection to that, it's just how *fast* they run it that people didn't seem to get here.

When he made the comments that GF3 was to be the target for 30 FPS, he clearly made this when the Geforce 3 was first introduced. It has long been past that, and I'm sure he has found that most people have upgraded to at least Geforce 4-class hardware, with R9700 out and NV30 on the way, and the target date of this game being Q1-Q203(though not official, i would imagine this is the time frame), that he could raise the bar on the performance requirements quite a bit from the GF3 remarks he made such a long time ago.

Face it people..this is the whole point behind id software engines and computer hardware. This is something that i pointed out in previous posts about it! That it is inevitable that one must upgrade.
Calm down, if games get you this crazy and out of control, then maybe you should stay away from them and get some therapy.
Old 11-06-02, 07:18 PM   #43
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by A-KO
Higher Resolution Textures - It runs great on my 128MB card....I am quite sure these are probably 64MB textures in this 'tech demo', and I would expect to see no less than 128MB textures...I really hope to have 256MB on the game's release.
Carmack already said Doom 3 would use, on average, 80MB of texture memory at any given time. although this probably include compressed textures.

anyway, i'm SURE the game will have more detail once it is released, so everything you said is more or less true. Doom 3 will look at least as good as the Alpha does.

however, nothing can be said about performance. the card was run on a R9700Pro, and it was planned that way. it obviously means that it will run best on that card, although given the early nature of the game, there are still certainly optimizations to be made for all cards.

Old 11-06-02, 07:21 PM   #44
A-KO

On a note, Assumptions can be made as to what hardware will be required based on past history of id software enginnes, the current market, and comments that were made.

It's obvious that 1:

-It will require something that can run Geforce2-class effects at fast speeds.

- Something that will render multiple light sources on an object at any given time. That will render it fast(think the 8 light source test in 3DMark). THis is a key element in Doom 3.

- Based on the current market, 1.5-2Ghz CPU systems are commonplace in the market. There is most certainly no less than 1Ghz even in Celerons that are being sold in stores. So it's obvious that it will require more than 1Ghz. UT2003 requires 733Mhz, for example.

- Based on previous history of id software games and 3d hardware, I would imagine that the top end cards of 'today' and 'tomorrow' will be prime candidates for this game and the rendering power available. Carmack did state a bit back(around the time of E3) that R9700 and higher classed cards will simply run the game much better than previous generation hardware(i.e. Ti4600).

- 256MB+ ram is commonplace in a majority of systems, many gamers have 512MB.

So in the end, one can say that as long as you have at least an Athlon XP 2000+ or P4 2.26Ghz 533Mhz FSB with a Radeon 9700 or NV30(which both will be plentiful way before the damn game comes out), with at least 256MB-512MB ram, and maybe 2-3GB of HD space(the alpha leak uses wav files for audio, which I doubt will change since they provide the highest uncompressed quality available. using mp3 or ogg for this would kill the feel for the game. Considering in an earlier interview that Doom 3 uses something around twice the sound sources in any given scene than any game previously released, one can say that a majority of the HD space willbe takenn up with audio). Combine that audio fact with things such as high quality textures and models, and it's EASY to see it use 2-3GB of HD space on an install. Which, also shouldn't be a problem. You should experience the game quite well.

Old 11-06-02, 07:22 PM   #45
StealthHawk

um, there aren't really any people complaining about Doom 3's performance in this thread(maybe 1?). i don't think anyone is surprised by it being bad either. just who are you directing your comments at?

Old 11-06-02, 07:24 PM   #46
sebazve

Quote:
Originally posted by [eNv]-LORD-eX-Bu
Calm down, if games get you this crazy and out of control, then maybe you should stay away from them and get some therapy.
MEGA LOL
ROFLMAO
Old 11-06-02, 07:27 PM   #47
sebazve

WAVs lol what a waste of HD space
Old 11-06-02, 07:37 PM   #48
A-KO

I was directing my comments at SS Baron. For his statements that got caught up on when I said previously that it ran like crap on my system. He obviously did not understand the conditions at which I run them, which is far below what the minimum for the game will be.

Many of his comments pointed out to me that he is sort of hoping that Doom 3 will be cut down. That this 'alpha leak' is merely a hyped up version as far as it can go to just show off and oooo and ahhh the people viewing it.

But come on now, us experienced gamers know this is far from the truth. The leak was merely to show off what they were doing at that time, and that it's clearly obvious that there is definitely more to come.

If you really watch the demo, this is most definitely obvious. I didn't point out any specifics but now I will.

For one: the 'ragdoll' physics are on no other character other than maybe that body lying down in e3_3, and that one guy that you can shoot down the stairs and he sort of rolls down them. There is virtually no other character in here that has that yet. So it's obvious that there will be quite a bit more of a requirement in CPU power when you factor in that every character in the game will have this ability.

Certain items were not clipped correctly, such as the pipes. I didn't bother to say anything as people would feel my specifics would be complaints, which they are not. They are merely pointing out that these things had yet to be added and so that the final version will more than likely require a bit more than what this alpha leak does.

Not to mention that this 'tech demo' is not nearly as complete as the final game will be....Im sure the levels will have much more complete audio, textures, and detail. So again, the final version will definitely eat more.

Again, though, it's the comments that "statements on performance cannot be made" that get to me simply because some of these people are expecting the exact opposite of what this leak has in it.

On the note of waav files : it's not a waste of space. When your prime factor in this game is audio..which is really what will be used to engulf you into the game, make you feel as if you're there, you want the highest quality obtainable. WAVE files are uncompressed, getting every little single detail in that audio that was meant to be. There's nothing in there that you don't want to hear, since it's not something similar to a recording artist mixing music, as all of these sounds are digitized and created on the highest end equipment available.
Closed Thread