Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-04, 03:29 AM   #13
Lfctony

Default Re: John carmack on next game engine.. cool stuff.

Good graphics ie PA with great gameplay.
Fafnir: Intel Core 2 Quad 6600@3.2Ghz|eVGA 780i SLI|PNY GTX480 |Kingston DDR667 4096MB|WD Black Caviar 500GB|Seagate SATA 250GB|Seagate SATA 200GB| Seagate SATA 160GB|OptiArc AD-7173S DVDRW|Nec 3351 DVDRW|Creative X-FI XM|LG Flatron W2261V|Logitech X-530|Thermaltake Armor|Amptac 850W SLI PSU|Logitech G9 Mouse|Xigmatek HDT S-1283 CPU Cooler|Windows 7/FW 257.21

PS2 - Wii - Xbox - Xbox360 - PSP - GC - PS3 Owner

Boycott Starforce...

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes?
Lfctony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 08:38 AM   #14
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Superb!!!

now all we have to do is :

wait 1 year for some screenshots
1 year for a leak
1 year for videos
1-2 years till the game is out .

thats maybe 2009 (along with the GeForce 11800 introduction) .

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 11:37 AM   #15
gmontem

I think people can become completely immersed in a game if it makes them forget they're sitting in front of a computer monitor and keyboard regardless of the graphics. I would like to see one day wide acceptance of head mounted displays (the ones with a mini monitor for each eye) and head tracking units. Would be interest if id's next engine natively supports those devices such that the person can use his head for freelook without affecting the crosshair and keyboard/mouse for body position and crosshair movement. Maybe then input devices with gyroscopes will take off since you can hold them in the air like a real gun. Now that would be interesting, a Logitech mouse that looks like a gun.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 08:12 PM   #16
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Send a message via ICQ to Skrot

Quote:
Originally Posted by SH64
Superb!!!

now all we have to do is :

wait 1 year for some screenshots
1 year for a leak
1 year for videos
1-2 years till the game is out .

thats maybe 2009 (along with the GeForce 11800 introduction) .
Apparently they want the development time to be less than Doom3. Carmack said (in the very thing that you're replying about), "I would expect that by the end of this year we'll probably be rendering some demo scenes that will be indicative of what the technology is eventually going to be producing." Now If you ask me, that sounds like that this year they're going to be able to create some screenshots of what the game will look like. Now whether they release them is another thing.

I realise that your post was probably in jest, but it looks to be a somewhat incorrect joke. At this stage anyway...
Skrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 08:24 PM   #17
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

The whole head movement thing is a gyp anyhow - to really simulate the human experience of vision you need saccades, and for that you'd need to actually monitor EYE movement. Yipezers.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 08:47 PM   #18
gmontem

Monitoring head movement isn't a gyp when you consider the cost of buying enough monitors to surround yourself. You'll need enough horsepower or computers to render all of the screens as well. Sounds more economically feasible with a head mounted display. I don't disagree you with monitoring eye movement though. It's the only way of using depth of field correctly.
gmontem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-04, 08:47 PM   #19
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Yeah so we really just need something a la the Matrix, and be able to stick a metal rod into our brains.
Old 09-05-04, 09:27 PM   #20
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrot
Apparently they want the development time to be less than Doom3. Carmack said (in the very thing that you're replying about), "I would expect that by the end of this year we'll probably be rendering some demo scenes that will be indicative of what the technology is eventually going to be producing." Now If you ask me, that sounds like that this year they're going to be able to create some screenshots of what the game will look like. Now whether they release them is another thing.

I realise that your post was probably in jest, but it looks to be a somewhat incorrect joke. At this stage anyway...
Well i really hope that it wont take very long , but thats the usuall trend for big games ... theres always delays & other complications that prevent the game to get released as the developer intended .
seeing that UE3 is slated due to 2006 .. i wouldent be suprised for the next JC engine to take 4 years or so .

anyway i'm exited to see the features mentioned there in action .. the lighting & shadwoing techniques are the most subjects that interest me when it comes to graphics .

& yes .. i can tolrate a game with bad gameplay elemnts for a high quality graphics . it just depends on the player .

Old 09-05-04, 10:27 PM   #21
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

Quote:
i wouldn't be suprised for the next JC engine to take 4 years or so.
The engine or the game? I'm confident that Carmack knows approximately how long it'll take to modify the Doom3 engine with the changes he has in mind (I think he's already implemented many of them).

Quote:
anyway i'm exited to see the features mentioned there in action .. the lighting & shadwoing techniques are the most subjects that interest me when it comes to graphics.
Indeed, me too.
Old 09-06-04, 08:02 AM   #22
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skrot
The engine or the game?
Sorry , i meant the whole game development .

Old 09-06-04, 09:38 AM   #23
Intel17
Is not an Intel fanboi

in UT2004 voice "Holy ****!"

It's a new renderer, with all those new features, and he expects it to be up and running by years end... plus his whole Aerospace thing and his new kid...

He's not human!

This, ladies and gentlemen, is why he's called "Teh Carmack"
Intel17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 09:58 AM   #24
Skrot
The 5900XT that could.

It's not a new renderer. It's the Doom3 one with more spiffiness.