Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-04, 04:08 PM   #1
Karlzbad

Default Help plz N00B forceware question

How do you install drivers 'over the top' of others. I just switched over from a 9600xt and before that 9700 pro AIW(made that swtich due to selling the 9700 pro AIW in anticipation of the XT that never came but was on order for 2 months)to a 6800 OC which is a cool card, way more powerful than either of my ATI's, which I expected of course, and for the money.... $300 including full version of Doom3.

But I'd like to try these newer better drivers I see here and people say they installed them over others. I dl'd it but it's a zip file no setup that I see. Am I correct in assuming that would entail in my case having run the 61.77 setup exe, then doing the old school 'update driver' and pointing it at the inf file in the unzipped contents? What about those exe's and stuff in the zip file, will I be using the ones that came with the 61.77? I'm tempted to just try that but you know, I just got this card and I want to keep it for a few months at least...
Karlzbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 04:48 PM   #2
Elvin Presler

Default Re: Help plz N00B forceware question

Uninstall the old drivers.
Disconnect from the internet to stop Windows from going to Windows Updates and forcing in some old crap driver.
Reboot into Safemode and run Driver Cleaner to clean old nvidia and ATI drivers out.
Have it clean any service pack CAB files while you're at it so it won't ram one of those old drivers in.
Reboot again and it should ask you for a driver. Point it to the new ones.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 05:19 PM   #3
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

You don't have to do all that! Disconnect from the internet? LOL I would, however, uninstall any display drivers that are showing under Add/Remove Programs from your ATI cards. As for Nvidia drivers, you really don't have to uninstall them to install new Nvidia drivers. The best way to update is Manually under Device Manager, by right-clicking on your Display Adapter and select Update Driver. Don't let is Search for one, check that you Have Disk and Browse to where the .inf file is of the driver you want to use, i.e. 65.73. I make a folder in My Documents with the name of each set, i.e. 6573, 6600, 5303, etc., that way I can always go back to the ones I want, if I want. I doubt I'll leave the 65.73 set any time soon. Good luck.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 09:11 PM   #4
Karlzbad

Cool thanks, yeah I got the ATI ones completely uninstalled with driver cleaner and I have 61.77's installed, I was really asking how to install 65.73 that don't come with an installation program and what people mean by installing them 'on top of' existing ones, which still seems like from what you say, not uninstalling old(61.77).
Karlzbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 09:41 PM   #5
Elvin Presler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTâ„¢
You don't have to do all that! Disconnect from the internet?
If you don't Windows XP will automatically go to Windows Update and get a crappy old driver and force it in without any option to stop it before you can install the new one you want. Now if you have SP2 and have told it not to do this, I don't think it will anymore, but I didn't want to go into all that.
Elvin Presler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 11:12 PM   #6
SLippe
R.I.P. Babe Thread

Right-click on My Computer and select Properties. Then select the Hardware tab, then the Device Manager tab. Once that is open, click the + sign beside Display Adapter. Right-click on the video card's name that appears. Select Update Driver... A dialog box appears and yes, with SP2 it gives you the option to search Windows Update, click No, not this time. With SP1 I'm not sure what it says here, but if you can, bypass it. Okay, after selecting the No option and clicking Next, another box appears that gives you the option to either Install automatically or Install from a specific loacation. You want the Specific location option, select that and click Next. On the next screen, select the bottom option which should be Don't search, I will choose the driver to install. Click Next. On the next screen that appears, you want to click on the button that says Have Disk.... A Install from disk box appears, select Browse... and point to the .inf file of the 65.73 set (remember where you extracted). Once you have found the right folder and selected the .inf file of that set, click Open. Then select OK. On the next screen, select Next. After that, it should be smooth sailing. I know this sounds like a long way around it, but once you have done it a few times, it is very easy. This is the way I install all drivers, official or not. Hope this helps. I would suggest updating Windows XP to SP2 or at least DirectX.
SLippe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-04, 11:26 PM   #7
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: Help plz N00B forceware question

Sometimes you don't have to do anything at all , like me turn computer off , change cards , boot up install new driver .