Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-07-04, 08:53 AM   #1
baturcotte

Default A stumper...Mandrake 10.1 module won't build

Trying to install the NVIDIA drivers on a Mandrake 10.1 rc, and every time I try to compile them I get the following errors:

/root/tmp/selfgz4395/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c: In function 'nv_acpi_event':
/root/tmp/selfgz4395/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:3967: error: "PM_SAVE_STATE' undeclared (first use in this function)
/root/tmp/selfgz4395/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:3967: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/root/tmp/selfgz4395/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.c:3967: error: for each function it appears in.)
make[4]: *** [/root/tmp/selfgz4395/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1/usr/src/nv/nv.o] Error 1
make[3]: *** [_module_/root/tmp/selfgz4395/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1/usr/src/nv] Error 2
make[2]: *** [modules] Error 2
NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
nvidia.ko failed to build!
make[1]: *** [module] Error 1
make: *** [module] Error 2
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.

Using kernel-2.6.8.1-8mdk, on a Dell GX260 with an NVIDIA Geforce4 MX 440.

Anyone else seen this? Is there a patch or other fix, or will this combination plain not work?

Thanks,

Brett Turcotte.
baturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 09:07 AM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: A stumper...Mandrake 10.1 module won't build

Try replacing PM_SAVE_STATE with PM_SUSPEND_MEM in usr/src/nv.c.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 01:20 PM   #3
baturcotte

Zander,

Thanks...that did the trick!

Brett.
baturcotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 04:01 PM   #4
Erwin2004

i have the same problem but i can't find the file nv.c

can somebody help me?

thx
Erwin2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 11:36 AM   #5
fazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erwin2004
i have the same problem but i can't find the file nv.c

can somebody help me?

thx
Me too!

fazer
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 11:47 AM   #6
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

You'll need to extract the .run installer with --extract-only, then change to the newly created directory and edit usr/src/nv/nv.c; you can then install the driver with ./nvidia-installer in the same directory.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-04, 02:25 PM   #7
fazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
You'll need to extract the .run installer with --extract-only, then change to the newly created directory and edit usr/src/nv/nv.c; you can then install the driver with ./nvidia-installer in the same directory.
Thanks. I managed to figure that bit out myself. I ran ./nvidia-installer and the driver installation completed without any error messages (I checked the nvidia-installer.log to be sure). I edited XF86Config as directed and changed the runlevel back to 5 in inittab.

Unfortunately, now I only get a command prompt - no X with the "nvidia" driver. I've had to revert to the "nv" driver to boot up properly. Any suggestions?

Looking at the X logfile, everything seems hunky-dory right up to the last bit. It would appear that the nvidia module loads OK, but fails to initialise. Not sure where to go now, maybe I'll try an earlier version of the nvidia driver tomorrow if I have time.

Thanks

fazer

UPDATE: I've tried the previous nVidia driver as well as an earlier version that I was using with an old Fedora Core 1 installation; neither worked. The previous version had the same error messages in the log file. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the "rivafb" module conflict that is warned about during the installation (I got the idea that I could just ignore that), if so, how can I unload that module?
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (14.1 KB, 227 views)

Last edited by fazer; 09-13-04 at 01:37 PM.
fazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-04, 11:04 AM   #8
zebaze_kana

Hi,
Configuration: Dell Inspiron 8200, Nvidia GeForce 2 Go

I had similar problem while trying to compile and to load the module nvdia.

going through the Xorg log it appears that nvidia module though compiled without any problem (if the change is made in nv.c file) , will refuse to load.

The solution is to load it at boot time using your prefered method ( /etc/modules.conf, modprobe, /etc/modprobe.preload ...).
Adding the following ligne in /etc/modprobe.preload solves my problem
# begining
nvdia
# end

Reboot the system and enjoy your X nvidia
zebaze_kana is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-18-04, 04:44 PM   #9
pnielsenz

I had the same problem, and located the solution here in the previous replies.

I did notice that I had to copy the previous saved XF86Config-4 over the current one, which was modified on bootup, I think, to use the nv driver.

Thanks to zander for the solution. When is Nvidia going to fix the distribution?
pnielsenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-04, 04:23 PM   #10
crac

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer

UPDATE: I've tried the previous nVidia driver as well as an earlier version that I was using with an old Fedora Core 1 installation; neither worked. The previous version had the same error messages in the log file. I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the "rivafb" module conflict that is warned about during the installation (I got the idea that I could just ignore that), if so, how can I unload that module?
its related to the new kernel but has nothing to do with rivafb. you will get the same problem also without enabling rivafb ... btw. another problem arised with the latest kernel 2.6.9, so a new nvidia module has to be expected.
crac is offline   Reply With Quote