Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-06-04, 11:26 AM   #1
martinjreed
Martin Reed

Default Control backlight for GeForce FX Go 5200

I would like to turn off my laptop LCD backlight when I shut the lid, in particular when working in the office connected to an external screen (the laptop gets very hot and previous experience with a Dell Inspiron has shown turning off the backlight makes all the difference).

I am using an Dell Inspiron 5150 with GeForce FX Go 5200, running Gentoo linux with vanilla kernel 2.6.7, xorg-x11-6.7.0, and the nvidia module from 1.0-6111.

Just for interest when I run:

xset dpms force off

It blanks the screen but does not turn off the backlight. (Note that I am not really wanting dpms becuase I want the internal panel off but the external display on.) My previous laptop had an ATI GPU and I could used the "radeontool" package to control the LCD. Does something like this exist for the linux nvidia cards so that the backlight can be controlled?

Martin
martinjreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-04, 06:24 AM   #2
kahuna0k

Default Re: Control backlight for GeForce FX Go 5200

When you switch displays with Fn+F8 you can select what you want on and what you want off, I mean, just press Fn+F8 until LCD is off and external monitor is on.
kahuna0k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-04, 07:07 AM   #3
martinjreed
Martin Reed

Default Re: Control backlight for GeForce FX Go 5200

Quote:
Originally Posted by kahuna0k
When you switch displays with Fn+F8 you can select what you want on and what you want off, I mean, just press Fn+F8 until LCD is off and external monitor is on.
Actually using the twinview options in Xorg and the nvidia driver the Fn+F8 no longer works (it does mention this somewhere in the nvidia driver README I seem to rememeber). Even so when I am in console mode (Fn+F8 does then work), the backlight is still on when I switch...

Thanks for your reply anyway... does anyone have a solution to this?
martinjreed is offline   Reply With Quote