Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-04, 06:43 AM   #13
radarmicro

Default Re: Poor OpenGL performance 4 drivers, 2 kernels, 6 different configs

i have just exchanged my geforce4600ti with a fx5700 and have similar results (glxgears framerate was 4900 before, now 2000). same applies for other apps

i'm running gentoo with nptl enabled, and kernel 2.6.8-gentoo-r3, with kernel premption enabled.

i was wondering if maybe either
- nptl, or
- kernel premeption

could cause the driver to behage strangely...
radarmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 07:43 AM   #14
roli
Joropero

Ok energyman, i found out that gkrellm 2 is causing slow performance, when i quit gkrellm everything works faster, it's not the session manager, it's gkrellm...

ok, but altought i now traced this part of the problem, performance is not as good as expected, (like when i said the thing with 5336, it's somewhat usable, but somehow, its still a little choppy)

The other thing is, how to solve the "version information on libGL" thing, libGL.so does indeed point to /usr/lib/opengl/nvidia/lib/libGL.so.1.0.6111, i really don't know what's causing this message..

Ok, we are getting there, let's see...

P.D. thanks

EDITED: ok, digging some more, and fiddling with nvidia-settings, proved to be unuseful, disabling sync to Vblank or disabling/enabling flipping didn't do anything either....

Aparently any medium to high 2D work in the screen (gkrellm, changing windows, etc..) highly affects 3D performance, now im very confused?, is this supossed to happen?.

This was not the case a some weeks ago. so now im sitting on a void here....

Last edited by roli; 09-09-04 at 08:01 AM.
roli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 08:18 AM   #15
radarmicro

>>> Aparently any medium to high 2D work in the screen (gkrellm, changing windows, etc..) highly affects 3D performance, now im very confused?, is this supossed to happen?.

same here, in general, any other operations that are running at the same time dramatically slow down everything. this is not the case with the ti4600 (i've just tried, plugin the 4600, and everything is fine again, back to fx5700, everything slow) ... so it cant be the configuration
radarmicro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 01:09 PM   #16
energyman76b

Hi,

just looked into your conf again:

# Load "dbe" # Double buffer extension
# Load "fb"
Load "fbdevhw"
Load "bitmap"
# Load "shadowfb"
# Load "int10"
Load "GLcore"
# Load "shadow"
# Load "xaa"
# Load "vbe"

should look more like this:
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "extmod"
Load "dbe"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
Load "speedo"
Load "ddc"
Load "bitmap"
Load "truetype"

without dbe EVERYTHING is slow. That should have came into my mind earlier. Preemption usually does not impact performance (at least for me, the performance differences with/without preemption are negligible, but without preemp. the box is not so prone for wired behaviour (no wired behaviour without preempt. Sometimes wired with preemption).
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 03:05 PM   #17
roli
Joropero

well energyman, i put it, exactly as you show above, and it keeps doing the same, if i don't do anything 2D instensive, then glxgears works fine, if i do, stuttery all over

Loading dbe didn't work out for me, i even tried to make X load automatically everything, nothing worked

Stuck again
Old 09-09-04, 11:30 PM   #18
energyman76b

could you please post you last xorg.conf/XF86Config (I hope, you have only one of them) and the xorg.log?

glxgears stuttering when you are doing stuff is normal. glxgears is no benchmark. The only good thing it is to do, to show that glx works. Not more
Old 09-10-04, 08:20 AM   #19
roli
Joropero

Ok here's my current xorg.conf, and i don't have any other config file in /etc/X11 like XFree86-4 or XFree86.conf
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (12.6 KB, 121 views)
Old 09-10-04, 09:16 AM   #20
energyman76b

Hi,

hm, most of your config looks very normal. Do you have any changes, when you remove this options?

Option "CursorShadow" "True"
Option "CursorShadowAlpha" "66"

Old 09-10-04, 12:45 PM   #21
roli
Joropero

no energyman, still no change
Old 09-10-04, 12:56 PM   #22
surfed

Just wanted to say that i am using an fx5200 under 2.6.8.1-nitro5 kernel, xorg 6.7.99.904 with the 6111 nvidia drivers in TwinView with two gkrellm2's running (one for remote box), and things are smooth, not fast (cant expect that from an 5200) just smooth. X gets started with kdm.
And your glxgears performance is good, I get less than 500 in twin view and above 800 in single screen mode....
surfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 01:43 PM   #23
energyman76b

Hi,

hm, do you only test with glxgears?

You should try an opengl-game (I recommend vegastrike, with maximal details, you should get around 100FPS, depends on your CPU).

glxgears not really a test for the card, more for the cpu ;o)

If your total ogl-performance is low, you should post your .log again, maybe there are some peobs.

surfed: I am using xorg 6.8 now with xcompmgr and transset. Moving windows around is smooth, resizing not always. So, the fx 5200 is indeed powerfull enough for rea eyecandy ;o)
Old 09-10-04, 07:04 PM   #24
roli
Joropero

As long as i don't put gkrellm2 on the desktop or anything 2d intensive, namely gdesklets, (something or anything that constantly updates the 2d desktop), opengl works fine, but if i put something,then games like: armagetron (at full or at low detail), Kobo Deluxe in GL mode (note: Kobo Deluxe uses an Opengl 2D SDL rendering, this one shouldn't be as affected as full 3d Games) get choppy, stuttery, in conclusion: unplayable!, i could understand for example if this happened with Opengl SDL games, but for example any GL Visual in Xscreensaver also gets the same effect (and the most basic Visuals in Xscreensaver doesn't use SDL, im not sure if ALL of them don't use it, but for example the "engine" visual in Xscreensaver is affected by this problem as well)

Also is to note, that doesn't matter if the games are at Fullscreen or in a window, they still get affected

Well, i have no clue, the log shows no errors, only a warning for the apm_bios
and some not default resolution modes.