Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-04-02, 08:02 PM   #1
Phaete

Default nVidia driver install error

I'm a newbie trying to complete an install of SuSE 8.0 on a Gateway AMD 400Mhz with STB Velocity 4400 video card. I received the following error after running the kernel rpm package:

linux:/home/dan/Documents/nVidia # rpm -ivh NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123.suse80.i386.r pm
NVIDIA_kernel ##################################################
linux:/home/dan/Documents/nVidia # rpm -ivh NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123.suse80.i386.rpm
file /usr/X11R6/bin/switch2nvidia_glx from install of NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-3123 confli cts with file from package NVIDIA_GLX-0.8-178
file /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o from install of NVIDIA_GLX-1.0- 3123 conflicts with file from package NVIDIA_GLX-0.8-178

I'm too new to make heads/tails outta it

I haven't restarted the box, yet, but I'm afraid I may have no video if I do as there appears to be a version mismatch of the GLX part of the install.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Phaete
Old 11-05-02, 11:53 AM   #2
bwkaz

It seems that either you or your distribution has installed an old version of the NVIDIA_GLX package. You'll have to either get rid of it first, or upgrade it to the one you're trying to install.

Instead of -ivh, try using -Uvh, U for upgrade rather than install. If that doesn't work, then do:

rpm -qa | grep NVIDIA_GLX

Then rpm -e whateverthatprintedgoeshere to remove it. Then try to install the GLX you have.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-02, 06:11 PM   #3
Phaete

Well, I got the following:

dan@phaete:~> rpm -qa | grep NVIDIA
NVIDIA_kernel-0.8-178
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123

... apparently I have two kernels installed but no GLX. Neither of the kernel versions listed are what the NVchooser proggie suggested (1.0.2313)

dan@phaete:~/Documents/nVidia> sh NVchooser.sh
NVIDIA does not provide a prebuilt binary driver for your
distribution at this time. Please download:
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.tar.gz
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.tar.gz
package kernel-GB-2.4.18-4 is not installed
NVchooser.sh: [: : integer expression expected
Please download and install the following files:
NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-2313.src.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-2313.i386.rpm

I wonder if I need to 'rpm -e' both NVIDIA kernels. Sounds a little scary, tho.

What say you experts??
Old 11-05-02, 06:36 PM   #4
bwkaz

You seem to be using an old version of NVchooser.

Try to re-download it from the 3123 driver page. You probably have to rpm -e all of the NVIDIA_kernel packages, yes, but as long as you don't shut down X between the time you remove the old one, and the time you install the new one, you shouldn't run into any other problems. Of course, you might (post back if you do, obviously ), but I don't think so.
Old 11-05-02, 06:55 PM   #5
Phaete

Aargh!

I grabbed the tar files from nVidia's site, untarred and ran the 'make install' per the README instructions. BIG snafu, though - got the following:

phaete:/home/dan/Documents/nVidia/kernel-3123/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123 # make install

You appear to be compiling the NVdriver kernel module with
a compiler different from the one that was used to compile
the running kernel. This may be perfectly fine, but there
are cases where this can lead to unexpected behaviour and
system crashes.

If you know what you are doing and want to override this
check, you can do so by setting IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH.

In any other case, set the CC environment variable to the
name of the compiler that was used to compile the kernel.

*** Failed cc sanity check. Bailing out! ***
make: *** [gcc-check] Error 1
phaete:/home/dan/Documents/nVidia/kernel-3123/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123 #

Well, I thought I DID know what I was doing!? Apparently not. Of course, I DID 'rpm -e' both of the NVIDIA_kernel versions, so now I'm afraid to shutdown.

Old 11-06-02, 12:36 PM   #6
bwkaz

You'll see that error message when the gcc version from /proc/version and the version that cc -v reports are different. If they are, then one way to fix the problem is to recompile the kernel. Another way to fix it would be to remove the cc -v version compiler and install the /proc/version version. Although I wouldn't downgrade if I were you...

Otherwise, if you know that the version compiler that /proc/version is reporting is installed, but isn't the default, you can set the shell's CC environment variable to that version. If it's, called, for example, /usr/bin/gcc-3.2-i686-pc-linux-gnu or something, then you would do an export CC=/usr/bin/gcc-3.2-i686-pc-linux-gnu and then try re-running make install.

But it all depends on what /proc/version and cc -v report.
Old 12-11-02, 01:28 AM   #7
Wonder

Default CC_MISMATCH sanity check

bwkaz,

I have a problem similar to one you've addressed. I have SlackWare 8.1. My kernel was compiled with gcc 3.2, and now I'm running gcc 3.2.1, so I also get the sanity check when building my NVidia kernel.

I tried the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH option, which ran with some complaining about a "tainted kernel". Is that good?

I'd like to "change the CC environment variable", but I don't really know how to do that (very newbie to linux). I finally got my command line to take "export CC='gcc -V 3.2'", so that if I type "$CC -v", I get "...gcc driver version 3.2.1 executing gcc version 3.2". I can set this on the outside (command line), or inside the Makefile, and I still get the "sanity check". Should I set the IGNORE... flag again, and see if I'm still tainted?

The third option option I can see is to recompile my Linux kernel with the new gcc 3.2.1 compiler. This sounds bold and daring, but appeals to me, unless it will result in a mismatch of my kernel and everything else on my distribution (I don't really want to recompile _everything_, especially since I'm so new to Linux, and can barely blow my own nose with it.) Is this what you were recommending in the above post (linux kernel, not nvidia kernel)?

Help me, Doctor of NVidia--you're my only hope!

BTW, thank you for all your inputs to this forum. My confidence is renewed after seeing all the info you've dropped here, that I can do this Linux thing right wrt my Ti4200. I've already thrashed about for 30 hours before I got XFree86 to talk civil (mouse problem!).

Thanks
Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-02, 06:57 AM   #8
bwkaz

Quote:
I tried the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH option, which ran with some complaining about a "tainted kernel". Is that good?
It doesn't really matter at all. If you check the web page that should have been referenced by that warning (yes, warning not error ), you can see the reason it happens. It doesn't really have anything to do with the compiler at all, just licensing issues.

Quote:
"export CC='gcc -V 3.2'"
Heh heh, that's exactly what you should have done. But as it turns out, the NVIDIA_kernel Makefile is a little picky about which word in the version string it uses -- it grabs the 3rd word in the last line, which in the new $CC -v command's output, is "version".

This is clearly wrong, as it should grab "3.2", but there isn't really any good way to find that out... anyway, you'll get the sanity check message because "version" doesn't match "3.2", but again, it shouldn't be a big deal (in the first case, it was still remotely possible that the code was incompatible, even though 3.2 and 3.2.1 should keep binary compatibility, whereas in this case, you know the compilers are actually the same, even though their version numbers aren't).

Compiling your own kernel is another possibility. Again, moving from 3.2 to 3.2.1 should not have introduced binary incompatibilities, so it is very unlikely that you will have to recompile anything else. Just make sure you know what hardware you have, and which filesystems you use, and that kind of information, and it shouldn't be too hard. You can even, actually, use Mandrake's .config file (just make mrproper oldconfig from their /usr/src/linux) to get all of their settings.

There are also kernel compiling HOWTO's at www.tldp.org (the Linux Documentation Project) and NHF's at www.linuxnewbie.org (Newbieized Help Files) -- but note that a lot of these are outdated.

In any case, neither the second nor the third step you are talking about are strictly necessary -- the IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH, in this case, seems to be a good idea. Although if your system locks up when you modprobe the NVdriver kernel module, then consider trying one of them. However, this (modprobe'ing the NVdriver kernel module) is actually what gave you the tainted message, so you should be OK.

Old 12-11-02, 10:45 AM   #9
Wonder

Outstanding! You're the best.

Ok. Eventually, I will want to do each of these options, because I will probably be required to in another context anyway. But for now, I will focus on trying to get that cool NVIDIA screen everyone keeps mentioning. Ok, maybe I'll do the gcc -V 3.2 Makefile with IGNORE first. Then to configure XFree86!

Thanks for the lightning response!!!

EDIT:
Recompiled with perfect taint. Used XF86config supplied by NVIDIA, modified for my monitor vert and horiz rates, fonts, and mouse. "startx -- -layout AGP" got me that beautiful nVidia screen. Life (with linux) is good!!! tnx

Last edited by Wonder; 12-13-02 at 02:14 PM.
Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote