Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-09-04, 08:41 PM   #1
jlacroix

Default Freezing Problems, Still Unresolved. (PLEASE anything)

Hello there everyone. I am still having the notorius freeze problem. I'll be using my computer as normal and then the mouse will move but nothing reacts to clicking and the screen completely stops. I don't have this problem with Windows. This has happened when clicking the Kmenu, minimizing windows, opening weblinks, playing games, not playing games, clicking icons, you get the hint. I can't seem to find any pattern at all. It seems to do it whenever it wants.

The reason that I know its the driver is because if I were to set it back to NV, I would not get the problem. In fact I let it go for almost a week with the stock opensource driver with no problems, but as soon as I switch it to the nvidia driver, it froze within 15 minutes.

My question is if Nvidia has a fix yet. Are they aware of this problem at all? Is there a fix from anyone else if Nvidia doesn't have one? Please understand the urgency, I use this PC for college work, writing and things, (games to pass the time) and I need this to be stable. I can't use the NV driver because if I did I wouldn't be able to play any games...
It's just annoying when I have to save my work every two minutes because I cannot trust my computer.

Anyway enough rambling, the fact is this: Whomever gives me a fix for this will be considered LORD OF LINUX AND ALL THAT IS HOLY. (You would have my thanks).

PC: Intel MOBO, PIII 500mhz
RAM: 768MB
Video Card: Geforce FX 5200 128MB (Driver 6111)
Fedora 2 with all updates

Summary:
It freezes random times
When it freezes the screen stops, the mouse doesn't
When it freezes I need to give it a hard reset
This problem does not happen with Windows (I need to get rid of Windows once I fix this)
This problem does not occur at all with the NV driver

Please, ANYTHING I can (hopefully) try without sacrificing video performance.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.7 KB, 128 views)
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (24.0 KB, 131 views)
jlacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 10:18 PM   #2
Thoreau

Default Re: Freezing Problems, Still Unresolved. (PLEASE anything)

What does the end of dmesg say?
Thoreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 10:28 PM   #3
jlacroix

Please excuse my ignorance but what is dmesg?
jlacroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-04, 11:56 PM   #4
mj chivers

I had a freezing problem, OpenGL programs would crash on exit, eating up all my cpu resources. I fixed it by disabling AGP. ie "NvAGP" "0" under the device section in xorg.conf. The reason: my motherboard chipset is not supported by AGPGART or NvAGP. It's no solution but it provides me with a stable system untill i can find a Linux AGP driver for a Radeon chipset. I don't think that your problem is the exactly the same but give it a try anyway.
mj chivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 10:11 AM   #5
tornado419

jlacroix, I have the exact same problem. I switched to the NV driver but I can't play NeverWinterNights due to not having GLX. If you can go to another computer when yours freezes you will find that you can SSH in and safely reboot your computer. everything is still running normal, except for they physical console. I used previous nVidia drivers and I didn't have a problem until I upgraded(?) to 61.11. The next thing i'm doing is going to the archives and downloading 61.06.

does anyone know if the nVidia developers look at this forum?
tornado419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 12:46 PM   #6
momenman

Hmm .....

I am suffering the same problems and it appears that there is no apparent solution in sight ( unless you call using the nv driver a solution ). Tried 46.20, 53.36,61.06,61.07, 61.11 ..... same problem persist with FX5700. I am using Mdk_9.2 2.4.22-37mdk if
that is of any relevance. Also the X is x-org-11-6.7.0 .....

M.
momenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 01:07 PM   #7
hylje

Thumbs up Re: Freezing Problems, Still Unresolved. (PLEASE anything)

My problem is now almost solved on this issue. 2 days running and no X crashes what so ever.
I'm using Fedora Core 2 and Geforce4 ti4400

Here's what I did :

-updated all what is to update/upgrade with yum.
-followed instructions that were found on web :
http://rpm.livna.org/

1. Add the following entries to /etc/yum.conf:
-----------------------------------------
[livna-stable]
name=Livna.org Fedora Compatible Packages (stable)
baseurl= http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/$releasever/$basearch/yum/stable
gpgcheck=1

2. Import the Livna.org GPG key in order to verify the digitally signed NVIDIA RPM packages.
rpm --import http://rpm.livna.org/RPM-LIVNA-GPG-KEY

3. Install the NVIDIA driver RPM and dependencies.
yum -y install kernel-module-nvidia-`uname -r`

4. Modify /etc/X11/XF86Config to use the NVIDIA driver.
/usr/sbin/nvidia-config-xfree86 enable

Restart the X Window System to use the NVIDIA driver.
-----------------------------------------

It needs kernel that is brought by fedora updates. I haven't tested with others.

It installs atm 6106 drivers but that doesn't bother me as long as X doesn't crash again. I hope this solves your problems.

Sad to say that this probably solves only redhat/fedora users prob. but please do report if other distros users solve the problem too.
hylje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-04, 04:47 PM   #8
RustyPaint

I've had problems like this with my GeForce2 TI, my TNT2 experienced the same problems, and my AMD Irongate 76x chipset. I could not run any Sideband Addressing or any Burst mode. Plus I had to disable APIC (on uniprocessors) and MTRR (Memory Type Range Registers) in my kernel to have a stable system. Otherwise I would have random lockups. They were more frequent when I pushed the card in 3d programs. Now AGP 2x works fine.
RustyPaint is offline   Reply With Quote