Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-04, 10:14 AM   #13
kmare

Send a message via ICQ to kmare
Default Re: RenderAccel Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartman
There is now RENDER Testsuite in X.org cvs. So NVidia can fix RenderAccel support.
Exactly... plus as far as I know the RENDER extention is not fully done (in the x.org tree)... you know version 1.0 (now I think it is 0.8 or 0.9). But reading the mailing lists I think that it is reaching that state...
BTW: in the last X.org 6.8 there were a new feauture added, accelleration for trapezoids, which should speed up some things...

so... it's not really an NVIDIA fault... and for me it's working well (no lockups...) and it is pretty fast... (FX5900)
kmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 10:24 AM   #14
kmare

asdfw

EDIT: sorry about that post... if a moderator could delete it, it'd be great...
Old 09-13-04, 11:58 AM   #15
wizdom

Well, if somebody could just explain to me why it doesn't work on my GeForce 4 Ti 4200, that would be good enough.

I'm even considering upgrading my card in the near future, but it's not very reassuring that two of my previous cards have had the RENDER acceleration issue.

When you say it's "stable", have you actually tried xcompmgr with the settings described in my initial post?

I found the acceleration to generally work fine, and fast, but when you hammer the server with RENDER extension requests, it deadlocks. I suspect it's some threading bug.

Could be my glibc, even?

Edit:

Also, how can you say it's not their fault? The software RENDER works fine, it's only when you enable acceleration that it deadlocks. It's got 0% to do with Xorg. Think about it. This is a bug, plain and simple.
wizdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 01:15 PM   #16
kmare

...about the "not their fault", yes I take back... maybe it's an Nvidia fault. But it is really stable to me. And yes I've run "xcompmgr -cf". And it worked pretty well (it was stable), but I had some redrawing issues, like a part of a window not completely drawn. That's why now I run "xcompmgr -c" only. Besides the f option will only give you an instant effe (fading?) which I don't really need... but I like the shadows and transparencies.
Anyway I'm using gentoo without nptl. But I tried it on suse 9.1 and it acted with the exactly same behaviour (it was the same FX5900 but another smp motherboard), but certainly not lockups.
Maybe the problem is the drivers with your card. It might be your agp. I don't know, but I really hope it get fixed for you with the next driver realease.
Old 09-13-04, 02:31 PM   #17
PrakashP
gentoo ~x86_64 user

xcompmgr -c is stable for me, mving something rapidly around is no problem, but it doesn't like -f. It is stable, but my windows disappear when I switch for one desktop to the other....ie. I see the shadows of it on my wallpaper but no apps... Tested in kde-3.3.0.

I use ~x86 gentoo with nptl.
PrakashP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 05:01 PM   #18
dpw2atox

xcompmgr -c is stable for me as well. I downloaded my copy from the freedesktop.org cvs as of about 3 days ago and it works fine minus a few bugs here and there with renderaccel. I also submitted a bug report to the linux nvidia email address with the bugs I found and i recieved a reply that the renderaccel bugs will hopefully be resolved in the next driver release. now comes the good old hurry up and wait. who knows though maybe with the new cards coming out we will see a new driver release soon.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 06:32 PM   #19
wizdom

Hi,

Thanks for the feedback guys, I'm beginning to suspect it's some conflict between the driver and my X setup.

Has anybody got a host.def handy (or the one gentoo or whatever uses) so I can rebuild X to make sure?

I've attached mine below; if you see anything bogus let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: txt host.def.txt (2.5 KB, 130 views)
Old 09-13-04, 06:34 PM   #20
wizdom

I thought maybe you'd like to see my xorg.conf, just in case.

I'm fairly sure it's configured properly.
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (2.7 KB, 216 views)

Old 09-13-04, 07:05 PM   #21
dpw2atox

looks very similar to my setup, only difference is I don't have the hardware mouse setting but that shouldn't make a difference.
dpw2atox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 07:25 PM   #22
wizdom

Just in case somebody tried to claim it was my optimisations, I've rebuilt the server with the host.def attached; it more closely matches gentoo's.

I've removed a lot.

I reproduced the bug instantly in the same manner as the original post. Suggestions?
Attached Files
File Type: txt host.def.txt (2.3 KB, 129 views)
Old 09-13-04, 07:37 PM   #23
wizdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpw2atox
looks very similar to my setup, only difference is I don't have the hardware mouse setting but that shouldn't make a difference.
Ahah! This fixed it! Genius!

I've had this disabled since the days of animated Xcursors, because the NVIDIA driver used to shear them when HWcursor was enabled. Setting HWcursor to on completely fixes the renderaccel bugs (if you want to have some fun with your X server, set Option "HWcursor" "0"; it should lock up pretty quickly when you use xcompmgr).

So this IS a driver bug as I expected -- using SOFTWARE cursors and RENDERACCEL in combination creates the 100% deadlock; using both settings with acceleration completely fixes it.

Thanks a lot for your time, especially dpw2atox for bothering to review my config.

NVIDIA, read, learn, fix the problem.

Last edited by wizdom; 09-13-04 at 08:20 PM.
Old 09-13-04, 08:14 PM   #24
kmare

great man... maybe you just helped a lot of other plp with renderaccell on...