Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-04, 12:18 PM   #1
tekkie

Question GLX problems

I know everyone's seen these posts time and time again, but I still have not been able to resolve my issues.

Im currently refining my fresh install of RH 9, on a 7ZXE Gigabyte board, with AMD 2025MHz proc. 1.25GB ram, and nVidia GeForce FX5200, blah blah blah...

Problem is, I've updated the kernel in Redhat to latest (31.9) I believe, and re-installed the nVidia driver from their website, and I finally got the nVidia splashscreen to work, which to me, is a sign of progress. However, anytime I try to start x, it errors out, signal 11 error. So, I comment out the glx, and restart X, it works fine, but obviously no hardware accel. Im still rather a n00b to linux, and have spent quite some time on this, but I've had more luck getting my winmodem to work than my video card. Seems a little wierd that Im having better luck with a winmodem than a video card.

Im open to any suggestions, and unfortunately, I cannot provide my config files or log files, as Im typing this from work. Feel free to e-mail if you can come up with any solutions. I'd like to at least be able to get 3D working, then I can start with the remaining patches, updates, etc.
tekkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 10:38 PM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Re: GLX problems

Do a search of this forum for 'signal 11 error' and there should be some answers for this problem there.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-04, 11:29 AM   #3
tekkie

Thanks, I found the post from vputz, in reference to a TLS problem, and looks like I'll check the symbolic link to verify it is correct. Hopefully that'll be an end to my problems, and I can start writing 3D apps in Linux. -TBC

Old 09-15-04, 06:31 AM   #4
tekkie

I tried 2 different approaches. First, I found a post that said to backup the /etc/lib/tls folder, and remove it, uninstall the package from nvidia, re-install the package, and it should work. No good. Second, I checked the symbolic link to the libraries, and they were correct. To verify, I unlinked, and re-linked. when I tried to start X, it still crashed on GLX. Still "caught signal 11". Any other ideas?
Old 09-15-04, 07:33 PM   #5
tekkie

Angry Re: GLX problems

I was finally able to get my XF86Config file and the Xfree log to post, anyone have any ideas? Im starting to get weary....

Once again : Gigabyte mobo with ViaKT133 Chipset, 1.25GB memory, Red Hat 9.0 with latest kernel release (31.9) FX 5200 AGP card, using 6111 drivers, but have 6106 and can get prior versions as well. So here goes the log and stuff....

Attached Files
File Type: txt XFree86.0.txt (26.9 KB, 149 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config.txt (3.1 KB, 180 views)
Old 09-16-04, 01:46 AM   #6
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

I've compared your XF86Config.cfg to my one. (I'm running RH9 here to, at work) And I can't see a problem with that.

What does the output of 'glxinfo' say??

The only difference with your system and mine (eg motherboard & monitor) they are basically the same. The only other thing may be the libraries.

Wolf
Old 09-16-04, 03:32 PM   #7
tekkie

I'll have to get back into Linux to check the glxinfo, (still haven't solved my authentication issue with ppp), but last I checked, when typing glxinfo, I get something along the lines of a display error. I'll double check and re-post.
Old 09-16-04, 03:55 PM   #8
tekkie

Unhappy Re: GLX problems

This is what I have from X when glx is disabled, so that I can utilize the gui.

glxinfo
name of display: :0.0
Xlib: extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
Error: couldn't find RGB GLX visual

Also, with GLX enabled, and in single user mode (non graphical), I get the following error:

ERROR: Unable to open display (null)

Old 09-16-04, 08:33 PM   #9
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

You ran the Nvidia Installer?? Just curious.. As I'm thinking it might be a corrupted file causing this.. A possible re-download of that file and installing it might fix the problem??!! ... Just poking at straws..

Wolf
Old 09-17-04, 03:51 PM   #10
tekkie

I can't get this forum any longer at work, so I had a friend look up this post, and told me to re-download, so I did. I haven't installed yet because I'm waiting on cable tech to come drop off cable modem stuff so I can install it. I'll try in a little while to re-install the fresh download. Problem is, though, that I've already downloaded 2 different versions, both 6111 and 6106, and they're both doing the same exact thing. I think I might just re-install again, even though I don't want to re-install.....
Old 09-17-04, 08:59 PM   #11
tekkie

Okay, I've re-installed the 6111 driver from a fresh download, no good. Also, I decided to roll from 'nvidia' driver to generic nv driver to see about glx error, and I still get "unable to open display" 0:0. Something like that, anyhow. Any other ideas out there? If not, I guess I'll re-install RH9 (again)
Old 09-18-04, 01:07 PM   #12
Cartman

nv driver doesn't do 3d . So glxgears will not run with it.
Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote