Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-11-04, 03:33 AM   #1
drrandom

Default Latest nvnet network driver prevents setting MTU < 1500

I have an nforce2 based motherboard, and recently upgraded from Mandrake 9.2 to 10.0 (a bit late you might say). I am using the 2.6.3-7 kernel build.

I have the latest (6111 think?) nforce drivers installed, and everything seems to be working well, except that the nvnet driver refuses to let me set the MTU to a value less than 1500. This is the maximum size of network packets, and given that somewhere on my ADSL connection the fragment messages are lost, I have to set this to 1458 or less for certain things to work (sending large emails, visiting some websites).

I think this might also explain some of the earlier posts, specifically to do with visiting websites with content bigger than a certain size.

Looking at the nvidia documentation, it suggests MTU should be set to a value between 1500 and 9000ish, but I always used to have it set to 1458 with a previous nvnet driver.

Anyone got any ideas as to how I can change this?

The symptoms are:

"ifconfig eth0 mtu 1458"
results in the error message

"SIOCSIFMTU: Invalid argument"

Thanks for any help,

Cheers,

Tim
drrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 07:14 AM   #2
drrandom

Talking Re: Latest nvnet network driver prevents setting MTU < 1500

replying to my own post.....

I changed to the forcedeth driver (alias eth0 forcedeth) instead of the nvnet driver, and everything works fine, I can set the MTU value to whatever is required. Anyone else seeing odd network problems with sites above a certain size, or emails bigger than a certain size failing should probably try this....

(FI, by editing /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and adding MTU=xxxx - in my case xxxx=1458)

Seems an odd restriction to make in a network driver, I thought any packet size was valid, right down to 0 (not that just sending the header and no data would do you any good, but hey).

Cheers,

Tim
drrandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-04, 02:43 PM   #3
ahpook

Default Re: Latest nvnet network driver prevents setting MTU < 1500

You are right that any value should be OK, and I agree that this is a weird lapse on the
part of the nvidia driver, but I would point out (having had similar trouble myself) that this
is at least documented in the release notes, under "Module Parameters"

Quote:
MTU
The "mtu" module parameter controls the MTU size in bytes. This parameter takes a value between 1500 and 9202, inclusive. By default, a 1500 byte MTU is used. This parameter is only relevant when hardware offload mode is turned on.
ahpook is offline   Reply With Quote