Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-05-02, 12:05 PM   #1
borchard

Post Linux distros with nvidia drivers

I am currently looking for a rundown of which distros are shipping with nvidia drivers installed. I would like to know because I have managed to toast Redhat several times, and I am tired of messing with their strange compile errors. Like most linux noobs, I don't want to spend hours configuring, I just want to play.
Ben Orchard
borchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-02, 02:56 PM   #2
Anthaus

As far as I know, no linux distros have the fully operational nvidia drivers (no 3D-acceleration).
Some people claim that Xandros or Lindows have 'em, but I doubt it. Nvidia's drivers are not open source and, therefore, cannot be shipped with any Linux distro.

Really, installing and configuring nvidia's drivers is not that difficult. If you don't want to spend some hours doing so, just use the rpms with a fresh Red Hat 7.3 installation and tweak the XFConfig-4 file. Besides, there's a bunch of people here in this forum ready to help you.

C'mon, give it a go.
Old 11-05-02, 05:28 PM   #3
borchard

Default redhat

the trouble is that I tried it several times, with no success. I didn't do anything strange--I did exactly what the directions said...and toasted my install
Old 11-06-02, 04:25 AM   #4
lunix

Send a message via MSN to lunix

Gentoo linux has them, but that toatally defeats your motivation to get a dist that just works with no configuring :/
Old 11-06-02, 08:28 AM   #5
ThorsHammer

SUSE 8.0 doesnt come with them on the disk , but when you run update and choose to automatically install the updates, the Nvidia driver files get Dled and installed for you. And they work.
So far SUSe was the best an easiest for Nvidia.
ThorsHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-02, 03:24 PM   #6
borchard

Default Thanks

Thank you. I appreciate your help, as I have only played around with RedHat. What is the story with SlackWare?
Old 02-25-03, 02:40 PM   #7
drovar

>Some people claim that Xandros or Lindows have 'em, but I doubt it.

Xandros does indeed have them installed. The drivers are installed and configured on installation.
drovar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-03, 02:52 PM   #8
borchard

Default Thanks Everyone

I appreciate the help everyone gave me. I finally was able to configure Suse 8.1 with the drivers, and I enjoy it immensely. I am now playing UT2003 on my boxen at 800x600, and getting ~30fps, depending on the map.

I REALLY enjoy this game, and hope other companies will start to release their games in a similar fashion.

Old 02-22-04, 02:22 PM   #9
doug_q

response to xandros... they weren't automatically installed on my 2.0 install....
doug_q is offline   Reply With Quote