Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-14-04, 11:17 PM   #1
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Default Rifles in Raven Shield and Reality

I've noticed that Raven Shield is unintentionally realistic. What I'm talking about is this:
There is no reason not to use the biggest gun you possibly can, IE the M14. There are a few reasons I find this interesting:
#1 That's how it is in reality. Cops carry handguns because they're not storm-troopers. If they are in a situation where they intend to rush in and kill people, they equip AR15s and MP5s.
#2 Okay, but what about MP5s? Well the reason you use an SMG is mainly very closed enviroments - like a house. This makes sense if you were to charge into my tiny two bedroom house. An m16 would be unweidly. However, most levels in Rainbow Six (any of them) are fairly large and open. The only reason not to use a high powered long gun is considerations of firing speed and whether you can physically move it. If you're in a city street, or even a large living room, an AK-47 beats a pistol or SMG any day.
#3 Terrorists can't hear you through doors. I once fired an M249 SAW right outside of the hostage room in a long term (20-30 second) engagement with multiple snipers. And the terrorists didn't even NOTICE. Now this is pretty unrealistic, but it makes suppressed weapons worthless in game, although some people online still insist on using crappy M4s with silencers that do -15 points of damage and actually heal enemies...but whatever.

I picked this fact up in a playing FAQ somewhere and tried it out, and it's absolutely true. Using an M14 with a scope makes all of the levels easier. It's true it doesn't function very well 'spraying', but one shot takes down anybody, so I don't need a bullet-hose.
Old 09-14-04, 11:37 PM   #2
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Default Re: Rifles in Raven Shield and Reality

IMO RVS is intentionally realistic not unintentionally. The M14 is probably good for single player but for multiplayer its not very good. Its not stable and worthless from a distance even though its a rifle. Also multuplayer is where its at not single player.
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 12:41 AM   #3
Cheimison
Not Even Trying Anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
IMO RVS is intentionally realistic not unintentionally. The M14 is probably good for single player but for multiplayer its not very good. Its not stable and worthless from a distance even though its a rifle. Also multuplayer is where its at not single player.
I think all the rainbow six games tried to make SMGs useful, actually, it's just not sensible.
The M14 works fine multiplayer. It's got great range, best of any rifle that isn't a sniper rifle, and accuracy and damage. The only problem is it adjusts slowly when you're moving a lot and recoils like a bitch. In certain areas I can see an AUG or MP5/10 being better, but generally it works fine as a medium range weapon in MP.
Old 09-15-04, 12:48 AM   #4
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Hehe good luck with it in any server I am playing in unless your sitting in the dark.
Old 09-15-04, 10:44 PM   #5
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
Hehe good luck with it in any server I am playing in unless your sitting in the dark.

Let me guess, a cmag full auto kinda player? jk

I myself prefer single shooting from mid to long range, full auto when rushing or in close (dont use cmags on primary never)
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-04, 11:33 PM   #6
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

Nope! I cant stand cmags unless its for a side-arm. I am a run and gun player most times with MP5A4+scope and a 50.cal Eagle. Most new players pick the M14 because it can kill with one shot but soon find out its worthless unless under their tent.