Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-13-04, 07:41 AM   #1
Subtestube
Anisymbolic

Default Stop calling everything photorealistic!

I was unsure of where to put this - please feel free to move it.

WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic. I was browsing a 1997 PC Gamer the other day, and it described a game as photorealistic. I examined the graphics, and was smug in my noting that 'No, this doesn't look at all like a photo. In fact, it doesn't even begin to look like a game now. Ha ha ha." HOWEVER, now it's all happening again. THESE GAMES DO NOT LOOK LIKE PHOTOS. They don't even look NEARLY like photos or film. Go ahead, actually compare them. See if I'm wrong.

The only computer graphics that I actually have difficulty picking are:
a) Some VERY high quality film effects that are slipped in with Real Life footage.
b) Radiosity and Photon Mapped high res static renders of VERY well modelled scenes.

Note that I'm not saying we will never get photorealistic games, but guys, STOP LYING TO YOURSELVES! Current games are not photorealistic - we're still at least a few years from that milestone.
Dr Possible: Core 2 Duo E6400 on Gigabyte GA-965P-DS4. Galaxy GeForce 7600GT. 2GB Corsair XMS 2 DDR2-6400 RAM (CL5). ATi Theatre 550 Pro. Windows XP MCE. All stored in Piano black Antec Sonata II, with a broken door.

Mobile: ASUS M2400N, Pentium M 1.5 GHz. 512 MB DDR RAM. Intel EXTREME graphics. Windows XP SP 2 / Ubuntu 5.10.

Ridiculous DOES not have an 'e' in it. It comes from "ridicule" and has less than nothing to do with the colour red.
Subtestube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 08:03 AM   #2
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk
Default Re: Stop calling everything photorealistic!

This thread is photorealistic
Old 09-13-04, 08:21 AM   #3
zakelwe

Me and my wife will have to rename our 2nd child now I guess , shame, I thought it was a good name.

At least it will stop our dog wandering over when we mention our childs name, he is called Photorealistic too.

Regards

Photorealistic.
zakelwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 09:19 AM   #4
stncttr908

Send a message via AIM to stncttr908

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube

WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic. I was browsing a 1997 PC Gamer the other day, and it described a game as photorealistic. I examined the graphics, and was smug in my noting that 'No, this doesn't look at all like a photo. In fact, it doesn't even begin to look like a game now. Ha ha ha." HOWEVER, now it's all happening again. THESE GAMES DO NOT LOOK LIKE PHOTOS. They don't even look NEARLY like photos or film. Go ahead, actually compare them. See if I'm wrong.

a) Some VERY high quality film effects that are slipped in with Real Life footage.
b) Radiosity and Photon Mapped high res static renders of VERY well modelled scenes.

Note that I'm not saying we will never get photorealistic games, but guys, STOP LYING TO YOURSELVES! Current games are not photorealistic - we're still at least a few years from that milestone.
You said game(s) six times and you don't know where to put the thread.
PC - | Core i7-2600K @ stock | Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD3 | 4GB Patriot Sector 5 DDR3 | Galaxy GTX 460 1GB @ stock | Corsair Force 120GB SSD | Seagate 1TB 7200RPM | 320GB Seagate 7200.10 | 2x Seagate 500GB USB 2.0 | Lite-On 20x SATA DVD+RW | Silverstone TJ-09 | Corsair 620W PSU | Logitech Z-5500s | Sennheiser HD-570 headphones | Samsung 2494LW |

Laptop - | Dell Inspiron 1420 | C2D T7300 (2.0GHz, 4MB cache) | 2GB DDR2-667 | 160GB 7200RPM HDD | DVD +/- RW | 14.1" WXGA+ (1440x900) | Broadcom 802.11g | NVIDIA 8400M GS 128MB |
stncttr908 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 09:40 AM   #5
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Stop calling everything photorealistic?
Quote:
WHY must people INSIST on describing every new game as photorealistic.
What games are these? With all the shiny overdone effects in games of late I dont see how anyone could say this. The playstation 2 has more photorealistic games coming out than the computer.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 09:52 AM   #6
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by stncttr908
You said game(s) six times and you don't know where to put the thread.
lol, good point
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 10:12 AM   #7
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ|
lol, good point
Thats some awesome photorealistic moderating there JuiceZ
Old 09-13-04, 10:16 AM   #8
Arioch

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
What games are these? With all the shiny overdone effects in games of late I dont see how anyone could say this. The playstation 2 has more photorealistic games coming out than the computer.
You almost sounded convincing until you put Playstation 2 in there.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-13-04, 10:42 AM   #9
Fatman

Send a message via ICQ to Fatman Send a message via AIM to Fatman

I'm going to have to call BS on this one. Many modern games use real photos for textures, Max Payne, STALKER, etc. Granted the resolution is not as high as real world, but it is photo-realistic. Take a look at some flight sims, namely IL2 and LOMAC. Mortal Kombat is another good example. That game is 10 years old, the characters are 2 dimensional, yet photo-realistic.

Mobile Rig: Inspiron 8600 - Pentium M 2.0GHz - 1GB PC2700 - ATI Radeom Mobility 9600 128MB - Hitachi 60GB 7200RPM HDD
- 8X CD-RW/DVD-ROM Drive - 15.4" WXGA Wide Display
Fatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 10:42 AM   #10
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
Thats some awesome photorealistic moderating there JuiceZ

I hate to talk about the guy but really, is it that serious? So someone says a "game" looks photorealistic, no biggie everyone has the right to their own opinion.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 11:19 AM   #11
majortom
Done

Send a message via AIM to majortom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subtestube

no, YOURE too photorealistic! i'll have to drop my LOD.
- cool!
- oh wait, never mind. i just peed on myself

---------------------------------------------------------
Mein Comp!:
MSI 6380 kt266| XP 1700+| 512M PC3200 @ 266mhz | 80 gig | MSI radeon 9800 pro 128m (r360 core)| nec 2500a 8x single layer burn (dl hack)| thermaltake silentpower 420W PSU| POS generic case| Grado SR 60 headphones
majortom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-04, 11:34 AM   #12
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
You almost sounded convincing until you put Playstation 2 in there.
Playstation 2 has Grand Turismo 4 and Ace Combat 5 coming. I played both of the previous ones and there replay feature were near photorealistic and this time around they say the graphics has improved. Most PC racing games running at higher resolutions cant even come close to the reply feature of Grand Turismo 3 that sometimes looked as if you were watching TV and not a game.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote