Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-02, 04:51 AM   #1
one

Question downgrading nvidia drivers ( howto remove newer drivers?)

Hi!

I have Riva TNT, and yes I too noticed that with the latest drivers starting X takes forever. Too bad I allready installed them before I came here . So, Now I want go back and use version 1541.
I installed from tar so I dont know howto unistall the 2960. Installing the older version just top of the newer doesent work. Could someone give specific instruction howto to downgrade the drivers. thanks.
Old 08-11-02, 11:26 AM   #2
furtzi

hi,

if you are using redhat or similiar rpm using system you could try "rpm -e nvidia_glx" and nvidia_kernel

-e means uninstall..and "new-old" drivers you propably know already how to install them.
Old 08-11-02, 01:42 PM   #3
one

like I said I installed from the tar file..
hmm, now I wonder, since I am using redhat but still installed the tar version, would it help if I just reinstall that latest version but now the rpm version.. and then uninstall it.. in theory it should make it just like there's never been any nvidia drivers ?? well I guess it's worth the try, now I have to download the rpm's.
Old 08-11-02, 01:51 PM   #4
Phyre

If I'm not mistaken, installing the drivers via a tarball should install over any older or newer drivers, right?

Phyre
Phyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-02, 02:09 PM   #5
one

Quote:
Originally posted by Phyre
If I'm not mistaken, installing the drivers via a tarball should install over any older or newer drivers, right?

Phyre
that what I thought but it didnt work.. there was few more files on the newer tarball, so I guess that was the reason..?

anyway, I leechded the rpm's, installed them, then uninstalled and then installed the older version, and now everyhthing seems to be working the way it should.
Old 08-11-02, 03:48 PM   #6
Thunderbird

If you really want to downgrade follow the following steps:
1) do "updatedb" in a console
2) do "locate libGL"
3) remove all libGL files you got from locate (except libGLU and perhaps libGLw)
4) do "locate libglx"
5) again remove all libglx files
6) remove /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o
7) remove /lib/modules/(YOUR_KERNEL_VERSION)/kernel/drivers/video/NVdriver

After this your install should be fresh again.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote