Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-04, 03:37 PM   #1
LinuxHatesMe

Default xorg 6.8.0, failed loading GLX, no module......

I'm running xorg 6.8.0 using v. 6111 of the nvidia drivers. I'm doing this all on slackware 10 with a 2.6.8.1 kernel. The problem is that I had updated xorg up from 6.7.0 and all the sudden my GLX module can no longer be found/loaded. No changes in my config other than changing "Keyboard" to "keyboard" as per the README. Everything else went smoothly though, attatched is my config and log file.

ps. Perhaps someone should edit the sticky "If you have a problem, PLEASE read this first"

Quote:
The forums now accept attachments with .log endings, so you don't have to append .txt anymore.
Not true. Said invalid attatchment when I tried uploading my log file.
Attached Files
File Type: txt Xorg.0.log.txt (27.4 KB, 114 views)
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (14.1 KB, 112 views)
LinuxHatesMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-04, 07:02 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: xorg 6.8.0, failed loading GLX, no module......

Xorg has overwrote the glx library - reinstall the nvidia drivers.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-04, 01:26 PM   #3
LinuxHatesMe

Angry Re: xorg 6.8.0, failed loading GLX, no module......

Yeah I thought to try reinstalling the drivers shortly after I posted it although it was saying it couldn't because an 'nvidia' driver is already loaded... even though I had closed X out and was doing this from a commandline. Then I tried to remove it and couldn't due to it stating my kernel didn't allow unloading modules so I just went ahead and deleted the module right out of the directory and rebooted. This prevented the module to load, nice dirty fix.

So I went ahead and tried reinstalling.. this time it compiled but as soon as it finishes it errors stating it couldn't load the module because it was most likely using the wrong kernel source.

I double checked and it seams slackware decided to relink my /usr/src/linux symlink to a prior version because 2.6.7 is what they have as the "recent" kernel since they say it is most stable. But I downloaded by kerenl from kernel.org and am using 2.6.8.1, never had a problem with it til now. So I symlinked it back to the proper kernel source and I still recieve the same error.

Even tried using the installer option to specify the proper path to the original directory not the symlink, same issue. Any suggestions? I use my box for gaming alot so I really need to get 3d accelleration working. Thx in advance.

edit: Uploaded log file of installer.
Attached Files
File Type: txt nvidia-installer.log.txt (13.6 KB, 107 views)
LinuxHatesMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-04, 09:53 PM   #4
sphincter

Default Re: xorg 6.8.0, failed loading GLX, no module......

As root:

init 3
rmmod nvidia
cd /path/to/nvida/source
make clean && make install
init 5

If you haven't already done it, run NVIDIA-xxxx.sh --extract-only somewhere before you start. That'll be the path you cd to.