Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-04, 01:59 AM   #1
RandomHacksaw

Cool FYI - Nvidia driver, tv-out, frame buffer, splash screen, console - all ok

Sorry if this has allready been put up here (but I couldnt find it)...

Anyway I have a Mandrake 10 installed with an (almost) vanilla 2.6.7 kernel and I to suffered from the garbled console problem when I had tv out enabled (gf4 440 - 6106 driver). This was a problem because I really couldnt live without a boot splash screen on my tv, X, the nvidia driver and occasionally console input (via pressing Ctrl-Alt-F1 etc...). So heres what I did to fix it.

Go see spock here now this guy has got patches for the vesa frame buffer (the thing that the nvidia driver doesnt get along with). So apply what ever patch suits your kernel (2.6.7 for me) follow his instructions and bob's your display driver! Then I just re-ran the boot splash scrips (note: I did not use the gen-splash utilities).

Then it was _almost_ all good.... Fonts not displaying properly.... Well spock the good lad also has a fix for that! Just go to his
archive and get the miscsplashutils-0.1.2.tar.bz2 or later, un-tar and run make make install on this puppy reboot and your fonts are fixed!

And now Im sitting back switching from console to X to console to X like a pro!

Hope it helps.
RandomHacksaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 03:00 AM   #2
ateam
Interweb Lover

Send a message via AIM to ateam
Default Re: FYI - Nvidia driver, tv-out, frame buffer, splash screen, console - all ok

Currently, spock has the file http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/project...afb-rrc.tar.gz forbidden on his site, so I cannot download it. Do you by any chance have this saved somewhere that you could possibly send to me? I emailed the guy weeks ago asking for him to change the file permissions, yet he hasn't.

Thank you in advance
ateam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 03:31 AM   #3
ateam
Interweb Lover

Send a message via AIM to ateam
Default Re: FYI - Nvidia driver, tv-out, frame buffer, splash screen, console - all ok

Nevermind, I was able to find it. However, I'm confused by the kernel parameters he says you have to change. He says, " 6. Don't forget to add the video option and remove the vga option from the kernel parameters." What lines did you add, remove or change in your lilo.conf file?

Thanks in advance
ateam is offline   Reply With Quote