Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-04, 05:54 AM   #1
TedJ

Exclamation Still having XVideo performance issues (2.6 kernels)

I've been looking through this forum and have noticed many people posting regarding poor video performance under 2.6 kernels. Exactly HOW long has this been discussed without resolution?

I'm beginning to get a little discouraged here... I thought nVidia were pretty good at responding to problems raised in this forum.
TedJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 02:43 PM   #2
rschultz

Default Re: Still having XVideo performance issues (2.6 kernels)

As far as I can tell, it's been this way for the entire 2.6 series. The problem appears to be that using a PCI video card with the proprietary drivers causes the X server process to shoot up to 100% CPU usage (or thereabouts), and full-motion video playback becomes impossible.

There seems to have been some confusion as to when the problem occurs - I remember seeing several posts about problems when using two cards, one AGP and one PCI, but I haven't seen any posts confirming success with a 2.6 kernel and any PCI card (irrespective of other cards in the machine). Can anyone report success (i.e., video playback works without stuttering) with a 2.6 kernel, the NVidia drivers, and a PCI video card?
rschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 12:09 AM   #3
Spudman

I've been trying since the 2.6.2 release, but despite many attempts I've had no luck getting a PCI card to work well with the NVidia drivers & a 2.6 kernel, either with or without an AGP card installed. It's not unstable, but the performance drop from a 2.4 kernel renders it unusable.
Spudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 05:32 AM   #4
Pinky's brain

Some people seem to have had better luck with the nv driver, but only XFree86 4.4 and X.org have xvideo support for that (which doesnt do me much good at the moment, running debian.)
Pinky's brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 10:46 AM   #5
rschultz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky's brain
Some people seem to have had better luck with the nv driver, but only XFree86 4.4 and X.org have xvideo support for that (which doesnt do me much good at the moment, running debian.)
That's not true. The nv driver in XFree86 4.3 supports the xv extension. I'm running 4.3.0.dfsg.1-4, straight out of testing.
rschultz is offline   Reply With Quote