Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-21-04, 08:38 PM   #1
aAv7

Default Started playing Halo again...

So I started playing Halo again. I got tired of Painkiller (finally) and have put FarCry on the side until Crytek releases a patch with HDR-or until someone comes out with a total conversion mod. ( So yea...FC wont be played till at least June 05 =P ) Doom 3 was un-installed the minute I beat it and I hate to say it....but even UT2K4 is losing my interest.

So, I went and loaded up Halo and gave it another shot. I have to say, now that it actually runs @ a high resolution with respectable frames...this game isnt so freakin bad! I mean, it's not the "greatest game ever" like so many mags said back in 2001 when it hit the xbox...but it's damn fun. The A.I is sick when you put this game on it's hardest level....guys sneak up behind you, actually duck from gun shots, etc. Alot of people seem to bash the graphics, but I have to say....they look pretty nice to me @ 1280X1024 I know there's spots with low res textures, but all in all, it looks alot better than 75% of the games out there to me....my only gripe is AA still doesnt work. =/

I may just have to download the custom edition...anyone else ever actually like this game? Can you suggest some mods for it? ( I'm desperate here...I need something to play)

It'll be kinda cool to beat this again before Halo 2 arrives, it will also be nice to use my xbox for more than NFL Fever 04. heh.
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 08:43 PM   #2
WeReWoLf

Send a message via MSN to WeReWoLf
Default Re: Started playing Halo again...

I currently am in the middle of playing Halo and Kohan II seeing as i've beaten every other game on my HDD. Halo is mainly to visit old memories, and Kohan II was something that i picked up out of jest, but it's actually quite good. One thing i hate about Halo is that damn Needler!!! I hate it! I like it's effects, but i hate it!
WeReWoLf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:04 PM   #3
Edge
3d animator for hire!

I love the needler. It PWNZ you! Sorry, had to say it. Too bad they're changing it for Halo 2, I liked the way it worked in Halo 1. And yes, the only way to play Halo is in Legendary difficulty, the game is very fun when you actually fear the enemies and are forced to use strategy. Custom Edition is nice, it adds a lot of options and the netcode/performance is much improved. No real reason not to, since it's basically the full multiplayer game in a stand-alone setting.

BTW Ultimate, check out Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders for the Xbox when it's released in a couple weeks, that looks like it should be really fun (well, if you like Dynasty Warriors type action with RTS elements).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:24 PM   #4
bmg

I still like Halo, expecially since it runs great at 1600x1200. You'll need to use the control panel to enable AF, or I can tell you how to add your video card to the config.txt file with AF enabled there.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:36 PM   #5
LiquidX
xxxxxxx

I have really come to apreciate Halo especialy being that I hated it on the X-Box and when I got it for PC I thought it was poo and badly coded because of how it ran on my last gen card. But with my GT its like a whole new game and even looks better than alot of games recently released.

Multiplayer is also fun but I wish there was more to it. Also am I the only one that connects to a server as soon as it is clicked? It takes me like 3 seconds to get into a server. Does anyone know how these guys are able to do this?
LiquidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:38 PM   #6
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

For me, I thought Halo single player was mediocre, with bits of excellence strewn about...but I have played much multiplayer with my brother and friends and enjoy it immensely...

I liked the ability to throw grenades without having to switch weapons...halo spoiled me with that...now when i play another shooter and i have to switch to grenades i start saying to myself "why can't they do it like halo?"

though UT2004 is still the best
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:46 PM   #7
Buenamos

I personally hate the pc version, the multiplayer is ridiculously laggy which makes it impossible to melee, which is a BIG part of battles.....I play halo on xbox over xbc all the time, that's where all the competition is at...
Gaming PC: KOOLANCE PC3-410BK / SILVERSTONE ST70F 700W Modular / Q6600 G0 @ 3.2 / Swiftech Apogee GT Block /Asus P5Q Pro / 2x2gb 1066 G-Skill / EVGA GTX570 / 2 x Asus VH242 1080p monitors / Audigy Xi-Fi Platinum / Seagate 160gb HDD / Seagate 500gb HDD

Laptop: Inspiron 1520 15.4" LCD/ Intel Core 2 Duo 7300 (2ghz) / 2 gb RAM / 8600m GT / 80gb HDD / N Wireless / Blue Tooth

Media Center: AMD 4400+ / 2 gb OCZ Platinum / EVGA 9800gt / Audigty 2ZS / 42" LG 1080p 120hz / 3 x 1.5tb HDDs

Xbox 360 / Wii
Buenamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-04, 09:51 PM   #8
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81

Fortunately when I play Halo the pings are low so lag really isn't an issue... and I'm not that good so i never get close enough to ever melee someone...hehe

SP wise i also enjoyed fighting "the flood"...i know a lot of people don't like that segment of the game but it always felt real intense to me...like you're barely able to stay alive fighting a mass of evil..kind of like the movie aliens...surviving against overwhelming numbers...
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-04, 10:16 PM   #9
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX
Also am I the only one that connects to a server as soon as it is clicked? It takes me like 3 seconds to get into a server. Does anyone know how these guys are able to do this?
Are you using Custom Edition? If so then yes, it's quite normal as it has a very good cache system. Ever notice that in single player there aren't any load times? Same with multiplayer, even in the Xbox version there was only a second or two to load a map.

Quote:
I personally hate the pc version, the multiplayer is ridiculously laggy which makes it impossible to melee, which is a BIG part of battles.....
Have you tried Custom Edition? The netcode is much improved.
Old 09-21-04, 11:36 PM   #10
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buenamos
I personally hate the pc version, the multiplayer is ridiculously laggy which makes it impossible to melee, which is a BIG part of battles.....I play halo on xbox over xbc all the time, that's where all the competition is at...
I still play Halo PC CTF quite a bit on the weekends. I normally get 33ms pings on the Bungie servers, which isn't too bad (I like the Bungie servers, other than the fact that Bloodgulch isn't in the map rotation anymore). I'm not great on knowing exactly how much to lead, but usually do ok.

I bought an xbox just to play Halo 2 when it comes out. I've been playing Halo on xbox for practice, and aiming with the controller is the pits. I reduced the sensitivity to see if that would help. Anyone got any tips on aiming with the controller? Probably just many hours of practice I guess.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 01:42 AM   #11
zaG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
....my only gripe is AA still doesnt work. =/

It seems to be a 6800 issue !! On a 5950 FX it works ... i tried the change in config.cfg "disablealphatexturetargets" and deleted the halo line for AA in nvapps.xml but no way to get AA on a 6800nu/GT/Ultra in Halo
zaG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-04, 02:01 AM   #12
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg
I bought an xbox just to play Halo 2 when it comes out. I've been playing Halo on xbox for practice, and aiming with the controller is the pits. I reduced the sensitivity to see if that would help. Anyone got any tips on aiming with the controller? Probably just many hours of practice I guess.
I had trouble aiming with the controller at first, but after I played the game for a few hours I really got the hang of it. Now I almost prefer the controller to the mouse in some ways (not being precision, of course), but it ONLY feels comfortable in Halo, in every other FPS I played on the Xbox the controller aiming just doesn't feel right. Halo must do some magic thing with the aiming that actually makes it feel responsive on a control pad, it just seems to flow better than any other FPS on a controller. It's strange and I can't really describe it, but anyway you should get used to it.