Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-20-04, 12:01 PM   #1
aAv7

Default Me thinks this may pose as a problem...(HL2 related)

Link
http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/33658

And for the lazy, such as myself-this is what the link offers...

" GameSpot has a lengthy update on the Valve vs Vivendi Universal lawsuit that has been going on since 2002 when Valve sued Sierra (part of VUGames). The Half-Life developer originally sued Sierra because the publisher put Valve games in Internet cafes in the US and around the world, which Valve alledges is a copyright infringement. Vivendi later counter-sued, saying Valve had made misleading statements to them about their online distribution plans. Vivendi also wants Valve to honor a previous agreement and publish whatever Valve is going to work on next, and they would like to be awarded ownership of the Half-Life franchise as well. Various motions will be heard by the court October 8 (the trial won't be until March 2005). How all of this will affect the release of Half-Life 2, we won't know for a while (though Vivendi Universal Games sure could use the money).

In court filings, Sierra/VUG says that the current distribution of Half-Life 2 via Steam exceeds the scope of the current software publishing agreement between the two parties. It is apparently seeking the court's assistance in compelling Valve not to use Steam as an avenue of distribution. On Friday, when asked if Valve was remained intent on making Half-Life 2 available to gamers via Steam, regardless of what was determined on October 8, Lombardi replied, "Yes."
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 12:28 PM   #2
karkrash81
Do you like dags?

Send a message via AIM to karkrash81
Default Re: Me thinks this may pose as a problem...(HL2 related)

Personally, I think it would be a big shame if valve lost the rights to the half life franchise to VU...even though the majority of game developers don't own the rights to their games, I feel that more developers should try to hold on to the intellectual property rights if possible...that sucks when a publisher starts wh0ring out good properties developed by someone else...
My System: Athlon 64 x2 3800+ overclocked to 4600+/2 GB Geil PC3200/8800 GTS 320 mb/Asus A8N SLI Premium motherboard/Logitech z-680's/Total of 760 GB of Hard Drive Space (2x300 + 1x160)/audigy 2/Two 20.1" Widescreen LCD's (Dell 2005fpw)
Favorite movie: Snatch/Favorite Game: NOLF/Song of the Week: "You Know I'm No Good" by Amy Winehouse/
What I'm Playing this Week: Nothing!
karkrash81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 12:35 PM   #3
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Long as this doesn't affect distribution of the CD and/or collector's edition of HL2, I couldn't care less what happens to Steam.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 01:00 PM   #4
aAv7

well apparently rumors have it that this will further hold back the shipping of HL2. =(
[SIZE="1"][B]CPU:[/B] AMD64 3200+ Winchester @ 2.2 [B]RAM:[/B] 2GB Kingston Dual Channel DDR 400 [B]Motherboard:[/B] Gigabyte K8 Triton nForce4 [B]VideoCard:[/B] eVGA GeForce 7800GTX 512MB [B]Hard Drive:[/B] WD 250GB Sata [B]OS:[/B] Dual boot, Windows XP Home/Windows Professional x64 Edition Retail[B] Audio:[/B] X-Fi Xtreme Music [B]Mouse:[/B] Logitech MX 310 [B]PSU:[/B] 500W Ultra Connect (34A on the 12V+)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][B]Xbox 360:[/B] w/ Intercooler @ 1280x1024 , Dynasty Warriors 5, Fight Night Round 3, Kameo, NBA 2K6, Perfect Dark Zero CE, and PGR 3[SIZE="1"][/SIZE][/SIZE]
aAv7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 01:12 PM   #5
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Gah, figures, the game finally has a release candidate sent out, and now they're getting into legal arguments about the release method. Great, so the game might go gold and be sitting on Gabe's shelf, but until the lawsuit is finished people won't be able to get their hands on it (well, unless Gabe pops it into his computer and then clicks on random email attachments ).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 01:39 PM   #6
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
well apparently rumors have it that this will further hold back the shipping of HL2. =(
Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic (and stupid) but I don't honestly see how it will delay shipping of the printed product. They are just rumors at this point so until I see something official, I'm still going to hold out for an early November shipment.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 02:09 PM   #7
nVestor
www.tntblowout.com

Well if there is a lawsuite issued, it should be in the public records of the disctrict they are in wouldn't it? I mean... it can be verified that way I would imagine.
nVestor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 02:32 PM   #8
Vash
Angel Arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic (and stupid) but I don't honestly see how it will delay shipping of the printed product. They are just rumors at this point so until I see something official, I'm still going to hold out for an early November shipment.

Man... I've been holding out interest in this thing for a long time. This killed it (again). I'll still buy the game and I'll still be there at midnight to get my preorder, but sheesh - talk about ridiculous.
Each pray'r accepted, and each wish resign'd.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-04, 02:38 PM   #9
ynnek

Well it says its been going on since 2002....... I wonder if this is partly why HL2 has been delayed..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Gah, figures, the game finally has a release candidate sent out, and now they're getting into legal arguments about the release method. Great, so the game might go gold and be sitting on Gabe's shelf, but until the lawsuit is finished people won't be able to get their hands on it (well, unless Gabe pops it into his computer and then clicks on random email attachments ).
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 02:52 PM   #10
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yeah, the actual legal battle has been going on for a while, but the Steam system just seems to have escalated it. Especially if Valve goes against Vivendi's wishes and actually releases the game on Steam, who knows what could happen. Hell, maybe the ONLY way to get the game will be through Steam at this rate
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 04:00 PM   #11
superklye

Did someone say, "Duke Nuken Forever"?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-04, 04:27 PM   #12
oldsk00l

This is all truly entertaining, and sleazy, I love all of it. Valve has sure been entertaining these last two years. "nVidia are scum, death, putrid, filth, garbage, LIARS, SCUM!!!"

They should hire Howard Dean to do a speech for them.
oldsk00l is offline   Reply With Quote