Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-14-04, 02:07 PM   #1
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

Question Unknown card, what damn card have i in my case??

Hello, 1 or 2 years ago, now i don't remeber , i bought for 50$ a video card described as GeforceMX440-8x.

The manufacter is Sparkle.. (damn youu lol )

after have installed RivaTuner i saw that the clocks were incredibly lower than a reference gf4mx440-8x

they are 250Mhz for the Gpu and just 266Mhz !!! for the ram, now i even don't know if its a 64 bit or 128 bit bus.

Anyway the incredible thing is that i an overclock it till 300 for gpu and 400!!! for the ram!!! and this card even has just passive cooling solution.

I even wrote to sparkle for explaination and they told me they have alot of versions for these chips so they can't help me.....

could it be because i use an AGP 2X ?

but how is possible to sell a card like the one i have bouht ?? lol

and hw is possible that somebody buy thsi ?? lol well about this question i can say i did because of the price , before of that i had a glorius TNT2Ultra that i still keep in my garage :P eheh
Old 10-14-04, 07:46 PM   #2
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: Unknown card, what damn card have i in my case??

Heh how could we know what you have in your case , and especialy from ~2 years ago , it must be ancient old noone would remember or care

All MX cards were low ends anyways , and yeah many many versions.
Old 10-15-04, 12:13 AM   #3
Kev1

Default Re: Unknown card, what damn card have i in my case??

Actually you have pretty good computer. It would play most but the latest games fairly well. Halflife and Q3 would run fine.

The Asus P2BF was great motherboard. It only supports AGP 2X, so your video card won't run at 4X or 8X agp. The board is based on the Intel 440BX chipset, one of the best chipsets for its time.

Nice overclocks on your video card. If you dont want to buy all new stuff I believe the P2BF supported up to a P3 800mhz slot 1 processor. You could put that in there and get a good boost in performance. Also, you could max out the ram if you want.

I believe your motherboard, even tho its only 2X agp, would support all but the latest video cards too. Maybe even them but Im not sure. Im pretty sure up to a GFFX 5900XT would work.

You could also put a Power Leap adaptor in it and run up too a 1.4 ghz P3 Flip Chip processor. Here is the link to their website:

http://www.powerleap.com/

I have an Asus P2BF motherboard with a P2 450 mhz cpu and 512 megs ram and GF3 Ti200 as a backup computer and it works GREAT I cant play the latest games but I can play most older ones fairly well.

If your happy with your computer, enjoy it Very good motherboard that still has lots of room for increased speed if you don't want to buy a whole new computer

Also, you could sell your computer if you wanted but would only get maybe $150 to $250 dollars. Your TNT2 was great card also, but isnt worth much now. Maybe you can collect them like I do I have like 7 or 8 old video cards now!
Kev1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-04, 04:49 AM   #4
Graphicmaniac
GraphicLover

Yes i know i can upgrade till 800Mhz but here in italy is like impssible find somebody who sell them

my best problem is my HD lol after 5 years it has something like 1mb of damaged clusters lol

yeah i'm sourprised my pc still leave me play a lot of games very weel at 1024

there is noone games that supporting my cpu doen't leave me play at 1024, i can play anygames i can install on my pc , NWN, Q3, UT, i think even ut2003 because when i installe dlast time i was using a tnt2U and it was nearly playable at 640-480 with all details turned off.

The thing that amde me super angry was that just after i bought my pc, 1 month later has been released geforce-256 and asusp3b-f loool ehe
Old 10-15-04, 04:58 AM   #5
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

I've seen something similar with a Gainward FX5200. It was a cheap FX5200 (64bit bus small PCB) with passive cooling. The card was simply advertised as being a 5200, no words on clock or bandwidth. It had 6nS DDR modules but they were clocked at 133MHz (266MHz as seen on NV control panel). The core speed was set at 200MHz!

This card came inside a cheap PC a gent' had bought at a "hard discount". This guy came to the shop I worked complaining about poor performance (no wonders! ) I explained to him the situation and offered to OC the card at 250MHz core / 350 RAM and to add, for a small expense, a decent fan instead of the small heatsink the card came with. Performance was still disappointing but it was the best I could do without making him pay for a new, better card.

Moral of the story: always ask for what there is inside a PC and, if you don't understand, ask someone with good know-how to explain (possibly not the clerk who is trying to sell you the crapware )