Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-24-04, 11:31 PM   #13
lIqUID
whip yo ass!
 
lIqUID's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 653
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

$103 for a game??!!? please tell me this isnt US! Oh I got in Phase 3 of WoW beta, and think I made a world record sell of it on Ebay yesterday. $150 in 5 minutes for that crappy game LOL.

Ill wait for GuildWars
lIqUID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 03:51 AM   #14
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

$100? That's ridiculous. I thought HL2:CE was expensive...
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 06:56 AM   #15
Arioch
Registered User
 
Arioch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,087
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

Ok let me break this down since people are posting that $100 is too much for a game.

Collector's Edition - $79.99 (No one is putting a gun to anyone's head to get this version but I want the extra goodies)
Standard Game - $49.99

Strategy Guide - $19.99 (This is an optional item and I am mainly getting it for the maps)

Tax - 8.25% in Texas

My total cost breakdown:
Collector's Edition $79.99
Strategy Guide $15.99 (Get 20% off when buying the game and guide together)
Tax $7.92

Total: $103.90

Price in Texas for just the standard game after taxes: $54.11 (Same as most other games) The price for the Collector's Edition is $86.59 - that is roughly $27 more than I paid for Doom 3 and I guarantee I will get more time out of this game in the first free month of game time than I ever did with Doom 3.


That ends today's lesson in Economics101. The Collector's Edition of this game costs the same as the one for Half-Life 2 by the way.

Have A Nice Day!

Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 04:51 PM   #16
ynnek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,364
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

You all notice this $55 charge for a new game trend thats starting now? I'm not thrilled at all with that extra $5 they are trying to tack on now..

And for WoW, don't you have to pay a monthly fee on top of it all? Geeez! talk about milking the cow!
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 05:11 PM   #17
Arioch
Registered User
 
Arioch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,087
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
You all notice this $55 charge for a new game trend thats starting now? I'm not thrilled at all with that extra $5 they are trying to tack on now..

And for WoW, don't you have to pay a monthly fee on top of it all? Geeez! talk about milking the cow!
It's a persistent MMORPG so it has a monthly fee to maintain the core staff of programmers, designers, game masters, etc. If you have never played a MMORPG then this doesn't make any sense probably.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 08:35 PM   #18
ynnek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,364
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

Oh don't get me wrong, I understand there's cost of maintaining and running a healthy MMORPG.. Still, they should rake in good $$$ with this game..

One of my coworkers that was in the beta said, the class/characters/etc felt too evenly balanced.. like there weren't enough weak and strong points between them..

Another coworker told me that he loved how when you goto quests, it kinda branches off in your own little world.. so you don't have 50 people trying to complete the same quest, then wait for the same item, only to have someone come in and statch it away..

Interestly, another coworker said he didn't like that aspect.. he loved the chaotic openness of MMORPG's..

Me personally, I used to mud and the sorts a while back.. I decided I will stay away from MMORPG's cause they would suck too much time away from me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
It's a persistent MMORPG so it has a monthly fee to maintain the core staff of programmers, designers, game masters, etc. If you have never played a MMORPG then this doesn't make any sense probably.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 08:42 PM   #19
Arioch
Registered User
 
Arioch's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 2,087
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

Well there are plenty of MMORPG games out there now or on the way for people that are looking for one and I am sure one of them will appeal to them. Many of these type of games are a love it or hate it proposition.

I also do not want to spend every waking moment playingf these type of games as I fell into that trap before with UO and DAOC. This game is set up to be a bit more friendly to the casual gamer than most games I have seen. For instance, you get a 200% experience bonus for an amount of time that increases the longer you have "rested", which is being logged out of the game. Also the leveling is quicker than other games from what I have experienced and reported by beta testers.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 09:27 PM   #20
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
Ok let me break this down since people are posting that $100 is too much for a game.

Collector's Edition - $79.99 (No one is putting a gun to anyone's head to get this version but I want the extra goodies)
Standard Game - $49.99

Strategy Guide - $19.99 (This is an optional item and I am mainly getting it for the maps)

Tax - 8.25% in Texas

My total cost breakdown:
Collector's Edition $79.99
Strategy Guide $15.99 (Get 20% off when buying the game and guide together)
Tax $7.92

Total: $103.90

Price in Texas for just the standard game after taxes: $54.11 (Same as most other games) The price for the Collector's Edition is $86.59 - that is roughly $27 more than I paid for Doom 3 and I guarantee I will get more time out of this game in the first free month of game time than I ever did with Doom 3.


That ends today's lesson in Economics101. The Collector's Edition of this game costs the same as the one for Half-Life 2 by the way.

Have A Nice Day!

That's all well and good, but $80 is still a ****ing retarded amount to pay for a game, especially when you have to pay a monthly fee on top of it. But hey, it's your time and your money...
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-26-04, 01:42 AM   #21
datamage
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 88
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

Quote:
That's all well and good, but $80 is still a ****ing retarded amount to pay for a game, especially when you have to pay a monthly fee on top of it. But hey, it's your time and your money...
Did you not read his post?

You can buy the regular version for normal price. The folks who want the DVD version, a nice art book, and soundtrack, etc., will pay the extra money. There is no such thing as a retarded amount to pay for something. A ton of people would think that paying $400 for a video card (like the one you own) is retarded. You don't care, right? Exactly. We pay for what we want, so if paying $100 for a collector's edition of a game is something Arioch wants to do, so be it. Some of you need to relax.

The bottomline is, what may not be worth it to you, might be worth it for someone else. Who is anyone to gauge what amount of money someone should spend. Ok, enough rambling.

- D.
datamage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 04:12 AM   #22
ynnek
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,364
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

yea... i just spent $150 for a the Logitech DFP wheel.. lol.. what have I done..... but its sooo much better than the crappy wheel i was using before...
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 05:32 AM   #23
vampireuk
**** Holster
 
vampireuk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: The armoury
Posts: 2,813
Send a message via AIM to vampireuk
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lIqUID

Ill wait for GuildWars
That was the most boring game demo I have played in my entire life, I was looking forward to that game until that was released.
__________________
I put children in microwaves.
vampireuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 12:08 PM   #24
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Prepaid for WoW Collector's Edition - Now the wait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by datamage
Did you not read his post?

You can buy the regular version for normal price. The folks who want the DVD version, a nice art book, and soundtrack, etc., will pay the extra money. There is no such thing as a retarded amount to pay for something. A ton of people would think that paying $400 for a video card (like the one you own) is retarded. You don't care, right? Exactly. We pay for what we want, so if paying $100 for a collector's edition of a game is something Arioch wants to do, so be it. Some of you need to relax.

The bottomline is, what may not be worth it to you, might be worth it for someone else. Who is anyone to gauge what amount of money someone should spend. Ok, enough rambling.

- D.
Hey, get the sand out of your vagina, okay? Here in America, we have this wonderful thing called "Free speech" and what that means is I can say what I want and have an opinion that is different than yours. My opinion is that $100 for a GAME is retarded. My opinion is that there is NO game worth $100, especially when you have to pay monthly fees on top of it. My opinion is that I would never, ever pay such a retarded amount for a game, but if someone else wants to, go right ahead.

The bottom line is, it isn't worth it to me and I can guage the amount of money people spend on anything. I can say and opine on whatever I want. Who are you to tell me I can't? Joseph Stalin?

EDIT: Hardware cannot be compared to software. This graphics card does more than one thing, which is what a game does. Can you use that game to hook another monitor up to your computer? Will that game allow you to play the latest games and use graphically intense programs? No. It does one thing, it has one purpose: it uses the video card that is NECESSARY for a computer.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Regression with 295.33 and GeForce GT 240 maro NVIDIA Linux 16 06-29-12 07:47 PM
AMD FX-8120 Black Edition CPU Review (with Asus M5A99X EVO) News Archived News Items 0 06-21-12 09:30 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.