Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-25-04, 08:02 PM   #49
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

Default Re: My run-in with a console boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate17
at this point my fiance grabs the game and me and we walk out, ...
You mean he didn't block the door way and hassle you to reserve a copy of Maddan 2006? Or how about the strategy guide for the game you just brought? This couldn't have been an EB or Gamestop you went to.

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-04, 08:25 PM   #50
DaveW
Its me! Hurray!

PC:

XBOX:

Core2 Q9400 @ 3.0, eVGA GTX 260, 4G DDR 800, Vista64
DaveW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 01:46 AM   #51
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
I dont see PC's playing catch up to Xbox2...the system will have a r500....by the time the system debuts, r520's will be available for PC Gamers...which imo makes PC still more powerful. How? Simple. I can play @ 1024X768 or higher on my PC....your stuck in low res with any console.

My two biggest gripes about consoles are
1.) Lows res gaming
2.) Lack of upgradable hardware
Erm, even the Xbox 1 has support for 720p (1280x720) and 1080i (1920x1080) resolution, they just aren't used very often because rarely can a GF3 run in that high a res. If rumors are correct, then every Xbox 2 game should support 1080i (or possibly even 1080p with the right TV), as native support for HDTVs is planned. That's one of the reasons they're putting such a powerful video card in it.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 04:34 AM   #52
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickfut
when doom3 comes out on xbox we shall see how good the console still is - remember its 3 years old , how many of you people could play doom 3 on your pc's from 3 years ago ? (yeah go and blow that dust off your amd 1.3's and see how far you get)

the xbox is a great system , maybe not as fantastic now as it was when it was released but still holds its head up high against many pc games of today.

hopefully the new xbox2 will lead for another 2 years until pc's play catch up and i shall be happily handing over my hard earned to play one
Have you noticed how you can't just slap a doom 3 cd into a Xbox? The Xbox simply cannot do what the PC does with Doom 3, it doesn't even come close
Old 09-26-04, 04:50 AM   #53
Diamond_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by vampireuk
Have you noticed how you can't just slap a doom 3 cd into a Xbox? The Xbox simply cannot do what the PC does with Doom 3, it doesn't even come close
clarify... the xbox version has to deal with having 64 mb ram total. not just for video... so i wouldn't expect it to be the same...
PNY Geforce 6800 (o/c 399/829)
Diamond_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 04:52 AM   #54
Diamond_G

Quote:
I dont see PC's playing catch up to Xbox2...the system will have a r500....by the time the system debuts, r520's will be available for PC Gamers...which imo makes PC still more powerful. How? Simple. I can play @ 1024X768 or higher on my PC....your stuck in low res with any console.

My two biggest gripes about consoles are
1.) Lows res gaming
2.) Lack of upgradable hardware

Lets say Xbox 2 IS more powerful...lets say it does take 2 years for PC's to catch up...well...after they do catch up, they end up leaving smoke in the consoles face...because as time go by...PC's continue to upgrade to bigger and better...while Xbox 2 is still pushing its online features =O

Xbox is a decent system, dont get me wrong. Very high-end when it comes to consoles. I just hate low res. I;ve heard rumors that they might incorporate pc monitor connectivity to xbox2...now that would be awesome. Granted your allowed to up resoltuion to more than just 800X600...if an xbox is able to connect to a crt and go to a 1280X960/1024 res...that would be very luring.
from what i understood, MS is licensing tech from ATI for use in the xbox 2. this is how MS is getting around the screwing they got from NVidia with the xbox.

-oh and have you guys seen the difference between a DVD and HDTV?
-when will computers get BD-ROMs and HD-DVD Roms?
-Hell we have had dvd-rom drives for a while but how many games have been released in said format?

there are things that pc's do quite well and then there are things that console do quite well also both have their place.
Old 09-26-04, 06:12 AM   #55
wickfut

Quote:
I dont see PC's playing catch up to Xbox2...the system will have a r500....by the time the system debuts, r520's will be available for PC Gamers...which imo makes PC still more powerful. How?
yeah - when the xbox was released all the pc's of the time where roughly about 1.3ghz models and the top graphics where geforce 3- now considering the xbox is a 700mhz cpu with a modded gf2 gpu in it - it took until geforce4 and 2ghz cpu's before pcs could compete on the level.

Quote:
have you noticed that you cant just slap doom into just any pc of today either?
you are comparing apples to oranges , one is a 3 year old console that is about to get a large update and one is a pc that you have prob purchased all the bits for in the last 6 months. the fact that the xbox can run doom with ALL the fx turned on but at lower resolution is testimony itself to how powerfull the console is.

Last edited by wickfut; 09-26-04 at 07:00 AM.
wickfut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 06:41 AM   #56
Diamond_G

Quote:
yeah - when the xbox was released all the pc's of the time where roughly about 1.3ghz models and the top graphics where geforce 3- now considering the xbox is a 700mhz cpu with a modded gf2 gpu in it - it took until geforce4 and 2ghz cpu's before pcs could compete on the level.

have you noticed that you cant just slap doom into just any pc of today either?
you are comparing apples to oranges , one is a 3 year old console that is about to get a large update and one is a pc that you have prob purchased all the bits for in the last 6 months. the fact that the xbox can room doom with ALL the fx turned on but at lower resolution is testimony itself to how powerfull the console is.
or how flexible the engine is.

Old 09-26-04, 07:41 AM   #57
vampireuk
**** Holster

Send a message via AIM to vampireuk

If it is a apples to oranges comparison in the first place why do people make it to claim how awesome the Xbox is, then complain when the same comparison is used to show it is not that awesome
Old 09-26-04, 08:02 AM   #58
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Quote:
The Xbox is a modified GeForce3 GPU.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-04, 08:18 AM   #59
wickfut

yeah sorry - nv25 - knew it had a 2 in it
Old 09-26-04, 08:29 AM   #60
|MaguS|

I play both consoles and PC games, My PC is very high end (AMD64 3200, 6800GT, 1GB) and I own every console.

While the PC is more powerful, I will never say its a better gaming system. Mainly because it has 1/4 the AAA titles consoles have. If a game comes out for the PC and Consoles, I usually end up purchasing the PC version because they usually are alike gameplay wise with the PC being superior in Graphics but this isn't always the case... FF games anyone? MGS Series?

So gameplay wise, I think consoles will usually always be ahead of PC's because they are dedicated to gaming and many developers ONLY make games for consoles while more PC developers are turning there backs to PC's and beginning to make more Console games...

Im still waiting on a Racing game on the PC to come even close to Gran Turismo on the PS2...Graphics, Physics and Gameplay wise...

Oh and to who posted the Doom 3 PORT shots... wana compare Final Fantasy VII on the PC and PS2 or even the PS1? PC is WAY below the quality of the console versions...