Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-29-04, 05:59 AM   #1
Lithorus

Default Nforce3 usb stability?

I am a happy owner of a L5D with debian unstable(+kernel 2.6.8.1) installed. Linux runs great on it and so does the graphics except for the well-known problem with the random "blinking". However recently I've had to use an external usb harddrive. The drive is detected as an usb 2.0 device (hispeed) just fine and it gets mounted just fine, but when I use it for big transfers the usb craps out on me after a short period and I have to reattach the drive and remount. I've tested with the same laptop and usb drive in windows where there is no problems with transferring.

My question is wether there are others who have had the same experience with the nforce3 and usb under linux.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-04, 10:06 AM   #2
alxp

Default Re: Nforce3 usb stability?

Yes I have exactly the same problem, using a 60GB USB 2.0 hard drive with Fedora Core 2 (2.6.5-1 kernel).

And also I read on various linux forums about guys having the same problem, without anyone having answered...

I'm interested in learning a little more about all this...

Alex
alxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 03:21 AM   #3
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxp
Yes I have exactly the same problem, using a 60GB USB 2.0 hard drive with Fedora Core 2 (2.6.5-1 kernel).

And also I read on various linux forums about guys having the same problem, without anyone having answered...

I'm interested in learning a little more about all this...

Alex
All nforce3 related or just in general? I would imagine it was due to a less mature driver in the linux kernel.
Old 10-08-04, 03:53 AM   #4
Lithorus

Update:
I reinstalled my system and "accidently" installed it with a 64-bit kernel. With this kernel I could transfer easily transfer over usb 2.0 without any problems, going at a steady 10MB/s. I'm going to try the same with a stock 32-bit kernel and a custom 64-bit if I can get it to compile.