Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-14-04, 03:23 PM   #157
marijnh

Default Re: Official FreeBSD drivers!

The nvidia FreeBSD drivers have been working decently for me so far, but I have one problem - when trying to draw a vertex buffer (a GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object thingy) the application promptly drops dead without saying anything. Is this a common problem or could it be something specific to my system?
marijnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-04, 09:18 PM   #158
darius
foo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SrowLain
hi there,
i'm using freebsd 5.1 and encountered the same probs
with nforce2-board and nvidia graphic card.
in my opinion the graphic-driver recognizes first the
nforce2-chipset ( thats why it says it does not rec. your gpu @ disenter)
and so the module is not loaded.
ugly bug-fix:

write "kldload nvidia" at the last line in your rc.conf
and it should work!!!
(with 1 or 2 error-messages)

this is a fine example of - software-engineering!!!
hope some folks of nvidia-crew takes care of this...

so long...
Uhh don't put executable stuff in rc.conf THAT's lame.

There is a proper fix for that, update your ports tree and rebuild the x11/nvidia-driver port as it has patches to stop it capturing devices it shouldn't and to work in later versions of 5.x (ie fix the wrong version message)
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 07:56 AM   #159
knick_

Unhappy Re: Official FreeBSD drivers!

Hello all,

I really like FreeBSD, and using it for a long period of time. I had ATI RadeON 9200SE Video card, for wich I could`t find drivers. It turned out that NVidia have drivers for its cards, I read README, and appendix of supported graphics card, were I saw that GeForce 5200 is supproted. So I buy it, and install drivers. But when I`m starting X, I got heap of charecters on screen, and PC hang. Nothing helps, because of cold reboot, logs from X server did`t saved. What is a problem? Is this card really supported? And if it not, why you write that it is? What to do? =(I`m running FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE XFree86 Version 4.3.99.15 and have ASUS V9520/TD (GeForce 5200) videocard

Last edited by knick_; 04-30-04 at 08:29 AM.
knick_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-04, 08:30 AM   #160
darius
foo

I have a GeForce FX Go5200 in my laptop and it works very well.
I am running FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT (dated Apr 2) and use the latest version of the ports/x11/nvidia-driver driver and it works fine.

Here is my config on the laptop -> http://www.gsoft.com.au/~doconnor/I8600/
darius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-04, 09:58 AM   #161
snabb

Unhappy Re: Official FreeBSD drivers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knick_
It turned out that NVidia have drivers for its cards, I read README, and appendix of supported graphics card, were I saw that GeForce 5200 is supproted. So I buy it, and install drivers. But when I`m starting X, I got heap of charecters on screen, and PC hang.
I have exactly the same problem with Dell supplied FX 5200 card on FreeBSD 5.2.1. I have had no problems with older Nvidia cards.

Looks like it is time for Nvidia to update the FreeBSD driver. Nvidia, care to comment when this is going to happen?
snabb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-04, 12:54 PM   #162
Bocha

Send a message via ICQ to Bocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by snabb
I have exactly the same problem with Dell supplied FX 5200 card on FreeBSD 5.2.1. I have had no problems with older Nvidia cards.

Looks like it is time for Nvidia to update the FreeBSD driver. Nvidia, care to comment when this is going to happen?
Right the same trouble with GeForce 5600. I think it's time to make new drivers!
Bocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-04, 02:14 PM   #163
erek

Send a message via ICQ to erek Send a message via AIM to erek

my FX 5900 non-Ultra works fine..

dmesg:
http://neoisp.tripod.com/dmesg.txt

FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p4 "pciconf -l -v":

nvidia0@pci2:0:0: class=0x030000 card=0x00000000 chip=0x033110de rev=0xa1 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
device = 'GeForce FX 5900'
class = display
subclass = VGA

XFree86 4.4.0 "scanpci":

pci bus 0x0002 cardnum 0x00 function 0x00: vendor 0x10de device 0x0331
nVidia Corporation NV35 [GeForce FX 5900]
erek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 06:57 PM   #164
mayo

Default GF MX 5700 chipset and NVidia driver on -CURRENT (and 5.2.1-RELEASE)

Hello,

I've been trying to get my video card working with the nvidia-driver on FreeBSD for a few days now with no luck.

The stats on the video card are:
Gainward Ultra/980
GeForce MX 5700

Stats on the OS:
FreeBSD 5.2.1-RELEASE-p7
FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT (April 12th)
FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT (May 21st)

All my attempts described below have been done on all 3 systems:

-Tried installing the driver from ports and directly from nvidia website - fail either way

-Tried with FreeBSD's AGP support (compiling the driver with appropriate options) - fail

-Tried with NVidia's AGP support (disabled device agp in kernel) - fail

-Tried with FORCE_AGP_RATE and set hw.nvidia.registry.ReqAGPRate=4 (freebsd doesn't do well with 8x agp - the manual with the card mentions that all agp 4, 6, and 8 are supported)

The drivers were tested with all of these options and their combinations thereof without any luck.

when started X, it either freezes right after message saying it's readinng XF86COnfig file, or it "switches the screen" (goes blank like if it was going to graphics mode) and freezes right there. (X does work with my matrox card just fine same config, different driver. I don't have any other Nvidia cards to test it with)

On 5.2-CURRENT from May 21st, when trying to kldload nvidia, I get messages that the dirver will be disabled because the KLD is not the right version (although it was compiled against the same sources (kernel/world) that the current system is running from)

I don't think it's FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT problem, as I know of few other people who are running other video card chipsets on the same system versions as I have without a problem.

Could you please look into this problem and see where I am doing something wrong or if there is a problem with the 5700 chipset support?

any ideas?
mayo
mayo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-04, 02:38 PM   #165
akoo

NVIDIA has to wake up and release new drivers for BSD.
akoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-04, 09:34 PM   #166
mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoo
I agree. I got it working with MX440SE, but I can't get the MX 5700 card working. It seems liek the driver does not even recognize the chipset on the card. (Same with the linux driver)

I think they're waiting for FreeBSD 5.3 release, so when things get a bit more stabilized (eg. thread libs) etc. Although I wouldn't mind them updating the driver (even at current state) so that the newer cards work.

In case anyone is interested how I got it working:
kernel
device agp

nvidia driver from ports
WITH_FREEBSD_AGP
WITH_NVIDIA_HACKS
FORCE_AGP_RATE

XF86Config
driver "nvidia"
Option "NvAgp" "0"

sysctl
hw.nvidia.registry.EnableVia4x="1"
hw.nvidia.registry.ReqAGPRate="4"

/etc/libmap.conf
libpthread.so.1 libc_r.so.5
libpthread.so libc_r.so

edit: this is for -current, I haven't tried 4.x releases.

seems to be happy that way, now if just nvidia released some patch so more recent cards work with the drivers. *sigh*

m

Last edited by mayo; 05-29-04 at 09:38 PM. Reason: update
Old 06-09-04, 03:12 PM   #167
amistry

Quote:
Originally Posted by akoo
I think someone has said it, but I'll say it again. Yes, they are working on it. They are waiting on TLS (Thread Local Storage) in -CURRENT. FreeBSD developers have given them a preliminary working implementation recently and they are working togther to get things working. Please be patient things ARE happening.
amistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-04, 03:42 PM   #168
mayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by amistry
I think someone has said it, but I'll say it again. Yes, they are working on it. They are waiting on TLS (Thread Local Storage) in -CURRENT. FreeBSD developers have given them a preliminary working implementation recently and they are working togther to get things working. Please be patient things ARE happening.
I'm aware of that .. It has been indirectly mentioned on the freebsd-current mailing list.

What I was saying though, is that they should update the current driver to support the video cards that it claims it already supports. Keep the driver the way it is, just make sure it does recognize the cards it should.

From the readme in the freebsd driver, refering to the readme in the linux driver, it claims that (for eg.) 5700 chipset is supported (few others too), but the driver does not rcognize that chipset (freebsd or linux), which is think is quite sad. I looked at the list of supported cards, it listed it, and I got the card only to find out it's not supported. Now that was a direct lie on nVidia's part, something that doesn't make me a happy camper.

As far as new driver is concerned, yes they are working on it and I'll wait for it patinetly, but I hope they really _do_ hurry up, as I want to use my graphics card that was supposed to work with the previous driver.

m