Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-02, 04:19 AM   #25
shooter

Default aha! DRI was the problem

Wow, removing DRI allows my system to run glx twice without crashing and rebooting. Thanks AlphaChild!

- J
Old 11-24-02, 01:20 PM   #26
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

Cool

Hi all, I'm new, I have some questions about these new Nvidia FREEBSD drivers.

I have recompiled my Kernel succesfully, and installed the drivers too.But I have two problems :

The X loading time is incredibly long!!About 3-4 minutes(that can seem a short time when u read it, but when u are at your desktop waiting X load is stressing) , tuxracer (one of my prefered games!!!) doesn't load, the screen turns black and than I'm returned to desktop at a resolution of 640x480 (I 'think) , so I have to restart X (another time 3-4 minutes) .UT2003 anytimes restart my PC when I start it (It happen any time after a crash of X when I try to restart it) and always in UT the audio is unsync with the video.

Is normal, anyone know how to solve these problems?

Thanks

Config :

PIII 1000
ASUS CUV4X-EA
Creative/MSI Geforce 3 Ti200
CMI8738 Audio chip

Bye
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-02, 01:23 PM   #27
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

Default Re: FreeBSD Official Nvidia Drivers!

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
Yes folks it's here:

http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?IO=freebsd_1.0-3203

STEP 4: Check dependencies
The dependencies are listed in the README. Please note that the NVIDIA driver set requires XFree version 4.2 or greater. If this is not available on your linux distribution, please go to the XFree86 web site (www.xfree86.org). FreeBSD -STABLE, version 4.7 or later is also required.
].

FreeBSD is a Linux distribution?

Byez
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-02, 01:08 AM   #28
AlphaChild

Default Re: aha! DRI was the problem

Quote:
Originally posted by shooter
Wow, removing DRI allows my system to run glx twice without crashing and rebooting. Thanks AlphaChild!

- J
no problem. glad that i could be of help

as for my problem, i changed my configuration to an Athlon 1.67GHz with a GF2MX, and all my problems are solved. it must be a configuration issue with the P2's and the TNT's. i guess that we will just have to wait and see until the next FreeBSD drivers are released

PS. FreeBSD is NOT a Linux. the only thing they really share in common is that they are both excellent free unix-like operating systems. Linux is better when it comes to support from commercial apps. FreeBSD is a more mature system tho. i think i'll finish there before i start raving
AlphaChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-02, 07:42 AM   #29
simple3

I can't wait to try these drivers, I just finished upgrading to the latest -STABLE, and can't wait for this XFree upgrade to finish. This is a huge step forward towards making FreeBSD a viable desktop machine for many more people. For anyone having trouble I found a site with some information on specific problems with games and how to work around them.

I believe he was just trying to point out a typo in the README. it refers to "your linux distribution" then goes on to mention FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE is required, seemingly implying FreeBSD is a linux distribution which it is clearly not.
Old 12-08-02, 06:20 PM   #30
halber_mensch

Default NVIDIA drivers and system hangs/app seg faults

I thought this seemed to be tied to the nvidia kernel module - specifically the internal AGP driver, as both myself and my friend (both running AMD systems) have had the same problems on FreeBSD (myself) and Linux (friend).

I recompiled the the kernel module, commenting out the line in nv-freebsd.h that reads:

#undef USE_OS_AGP_GART

So far I've been able use multiple GL contexts with fewer problems. I've gotten a few seg faults and hangs though. What is very wierd about this is that the kernel isn't even given a chance to panic, the system just fizzles.

And for those of you including DRI in your X configs, shame shame shame!

Last edited by halber_mensch; 12-08-02 at 06:44 PM.
halber_mensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 03:49 AM   #31
a123eng

Unhappy Little help.

Well, to be quite frank, I'm a kernel virgin. I've never recompiled my kernel before, and I'd like some instruction if possible. I don't want to get all the way through there and then end up putting the wrong thing in the wrong place and screwing it all up. I attempted it earlier this evening, but I didn't get anywhere. If someone could point me in the right direction or lend a hand I'd be grateful. Thanks.
a123eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-02, 04:39 PM   #32
AlphaChild

recompiling your kernel is one of the most sacred rites of passage in any *NiX environment. read chapter nine of the handbook (or i think it is nine). if you want to find out the guts of a kernel config file, check out /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/LINT. just catalog it through less, and edit your one in another terminal

anyway, one of the biggest problems that i have noted on my new system (my amd rig) is graphical corruption!!! being the puritian monk that i am (as i was labelled yesterday for using FreeBSD), i use Blackbox as my windowing manager. this, in turn, uses qt for the rendering of the 'windows' and system menus. when i try to load up the default system menu (right mouse button click), i scroll down, and the mouseovers are not working properly. i think 'what the!...'. i then move my mouse a little further down... and system crash. i cant even kill the X server. so whenever i see that problem, i just exit out of the X server and restart X. i have never had this problem under Linux, and even under FreeBSD, the P2 systems have no issues. in my opinion, it has to be an AMD problem. GLX still works perfectly, but these occasional crashes are not particularly welcome... but knowing the perfectionists that are on the nvidia driver teams, i am sure that they will fix it either next release, or over the next few releases

*patiently waits for Detonator 4 to be released on Linux and BSD*

Last edited by AlphaChild; 12-10-02 at 04:42 PM.

Old 12-10-02, 11:02 PM   #33
halber_mensch

Recompiling your kernel is a rite of passage, as well as a doorway to much goodness. and on top of that, the guys at Berkeley made a pretty easy system of it too.

I'd say you should go ahead and get up to the stable release while you're doing all this, but you could just use sysinstall to get your distribution source. But that won't help you with the nvidia drivers. So I'll tell you what you need to know to get updated to 4.7-stable.

With FreeBSD, you'll need to grab a source tree. You can get the 4.7-STABLE source most easily by using cvsup. There are example supfiles for use with cvsup under /usr/share/examples/cvsup/ . Just look at the stable-supfile, and of course read the handbook. http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/synching.html will tell you all about synchronizing your source.

The most hair-raising part of the upgrade process is running mergemaster. YOU MUST PAY ATTENTION TO WHAT IS HAPPENING. You've also got to know what files are special for you in /etc. For instance - letting mergemaster overwrite your current /etc/master.passwd will kill your added user accounts and reset your root password. That sucks. But if you're upgrading from 4.4-RELEASE, the /etc/master.passwd file does need to be updated with certain daemon user entries. You'll have to merge these sorts of files interactively to include all the right lines. It's a little wierd at first, but becomes natural after a while.

And if you backup your etc directory, you're in good shape if you screw up. Also, if your custom kernel doesn't work, don't freak out! You can stop the FreeBSD bootstrapper and tell it to load an old kernel. In / you'll see a few different kernels, most likely, like kernel, kernel.old, kernel.GENERIC, and possibly more. If your kernel freaks out, just type load kernel.old at the boot loader, and voila, you're using the last kernel that was installed. If you always keep a generic kernel in the root directory, you'll have a good kernel you can always fall back on.
Old 12-11-02, 04:16 PM   #34
a123eng

Default Thanks.

Excellent. Thanks much for the help.
a123eng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-02, 08:55 AM   #35
AlphaChild

shutdown now ;
make -j4 buildworld && ;
make kernconf="NAME-OF-KERNEL" buildkernel && ;
make kernconf="NAME-OF-KERNEL" installkernel && ;
make installworld ;

after the beauty known as cvsup and a custom kernel config written up, those five lines will pretty much get your custom kernel going (i wrote it as an executable script about 9 months ago and not seen it since, so i may have gotten its order wrong - it is also late at night in australia, and like every computer nerd, i am very sleep deprived)

with the detonator 4 drivers for the IA32 (build 4191), IA64 (build 4050) and AMD64 (build 4180) linux platforms already released, i am waiting for the FreeBSD revision to come out as well (at least build 4191 - maybe higher). i cant wait to get my Linux XSI license working under BSD
Old 12-14-02, 03:35 PM   #36
incandenza

Question Startup issues here too

First off, props to NVidia for the FreeBSD support. Everything's working great, with one exception: it's taking forever for my X server to start up. Looking at the logfile, it appears that X is trying a ton of different video modes on startup (even though I only specify one in my XF86Config), most of which are out of my monitor's hsync range. Is this what's taking so long, and if so, how do I tell X to knock it off?

Thanks!
incandenza is offline   Reply With Quote