Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-01-03, 02:10 AM   #61
Kasperle

Hi,

i would like to know whether there is any progress in resolving the "vertical garbled lines problem" described at

http://kinkywizard.ath.cx/broken.html

which, according to http://kinkywizard.ath.cx/broken/ seems to appear most often with mainboards utilizing SiS chipsets.
Kasperle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 07:50 AM   #62
jackangel

All of you people are encouraged to ask nvidia to release all their linux/freebsd drivers as open source. I've created an online petition where you can sign it, later I'll send it to NVIDIA by snail-mail. Please, consider it seriously, it's very important issue. If we can get NVIDIA release their drivers open-source, kernel hackers will quickly fix many bugs and boost their performance, also possibly simplifying installation process or converting the driver architecture to standard DRI.

Here's the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/hwopennv/petition.html
jackangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-03, 09:01 PM   #63
Jago

Quote:
Originally posted by jackangel
All of you people are encouraged to ask nvidia to release all their linux/freebsd drivers as open source. I've created an online petition where you can sign it, later I'll send it to NVIDIA by snail-mail. Please, consider it seriously, it's very important issue. If we can get NVIDIA release their drivers open-source, kernel hackers will quickly fix many bugs and boost their performance, also possibly simplifying installation process or converting the driver architecture to standard DRI.

Here's the petition:
http://www.petitiononline.com/hwopennv/petition.html
Please, stop being silly. No amount of petitions will change the fact that NVIDIA cannot open-source their drivers even if they wanted to, because in order to create them, a lot of technology (S3TC texture compression, for example) had to be licensed from 3rd-parties.
Jago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 04:22 AM   #64
JediHobbes

I beg to differ. It is possible to release the drivers as open source and include compiled versions of the S3TC libraries and so on, dependant on the license agreements for said libraries. One of the projects I have worked on is completely open source bar 3 compiled .so libraries for FreeBSD. It is still an open source project, and people can make changes and commit them to the source tree and so on. Further, the nature of open source does not rule out using license driven, closed source libraries within the program. I do think that this is something NVidia should consider.

Use it, don't use it

Ciao,
-=JediHobbes=-
Old 04-19-03, 07:59 AM   #65
tbyte

Question

When would be ready newer, bug free ,4-series, enhanced drivers ?
Becouse I wanna play hehe
And the 3 series are hum buggy. Every SDL game (or whatever uses SDL and OpenGL) recieves a SIGSEGV . XFree startup is a bit laggish ...
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-03, 08:39 AM   #66
Jago

Quote:
Originally posted by tbyte
When would be ready newer, bug free ,4-series, enhanced drivers ?
Becouse I wanna play hehe
And the 3 series are hum buggy. Every SDL game (or whatever uses SDL and OpenGL) recieves a SIGSEGV . XFree startup is a bit laggish ...
That's a user error or a problem with your system. All SDL and OpenGL apps are working just fine for me, albeit I am having system stabiluty issues on FreeBSD 5.0.
Jago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-03, 04:50 PM   #67
tbyte

This problem apeared in XFree 4.2.x then I reinstall whole system and do install latest XF 4.3 latest SDL and latest everything - but this keeps happening - SIGSEGV "SDL Parachute deployed ... " something like this - I own GF4 MX440 - If the application don't use SDL - It works
I don't know what is the problem but it looks like a software problem ... (SDL works with MESA)
tbyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-03, 09:19 PM   #68
kevryn

Send a message via ICQ to kevryn Send a message via AIM to kevryn Send a message via Yahoo to kevryn
Unhappy System hangs

I have a TNT2 card; not sure of the chipset as I've lost the box. With the nvidia driver my system hangs a second or so after starting X and won't respond to ping. If I disable the glx module it takes maybe a second or two longer to hang but it is still unusable.

Various logs and system information that may be helpful in solving this
kevryn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-23-03, 07:28 AM   #69
Gold-Reaver

Default FreeBSD drivers

Short thing: I read almost everything and did almost anything that was in there, except for trying 4.7, but when I start XFree with the famous startx command the screen goes so GREEN with other lines in it, after that I still have full control(it seems) except for display which stays the way when XFree was started...

GRRRRR
Gold-Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-03, 03:25 PM   #70
kevryn

Send a message via ICQ to kevryn Send a message via AIM to kevryn Send a message via Yahoo to kevryn
Default System Lockup: new info

I realized I had the wrong XFree86.0.log up and fixed that (it was a log using the nv driver, which works fine).

I discovered that I can start X without a window manager with no problems; the lockup comes when trying to start applications.
Old 04-24-03, 10:18 AM   #71
Gold-Reaver

Quote:
Originally posted by Jago
That's a user error or a problem with your system. All SDL and OpenGL apps are working just fine for me, albeit I am having system stabiluty issues on FreeBSD 5.0.
Not everyone has a perfect system you know...

GRRRRR
Gold-Reaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-03, 11:57 AM   #72
kevryn

Okay, fixed the lockup problem by using the FreeBSD AGP instead of the builtin, but now I'm getting random reboots while running GL apps.

updated logs