Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-04, 08:20 PM   #85
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Default Re: 3Dmark05 High and better IQ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRay
There is a switch to disable DST.

so there is no problem then... it can be turned off... it just that Futuremark want reviewers to buy the professional version for it.
Nv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-04, 09:29 PM   #86
Shamrock
Royalty gone awry

I dont use 3dMock, but I am curious as to WHY people are making a fuss about DST, and why didnt Futuremark use Direct X 9c specs? is it because ATI cant use it? or ATI paid more money to NOT use it? Why do they allow FP24, when FP32 is the CURRENT DirectX 9 spec.

I also heard you cant use SM 3.0 unless you get the pro version, is that correct?

And here is a thoughtless conspiracy theory, why is ATI's shots darker, in ALL but one I see ATI shots darker than NV's....remember, what is the best color to render? BLACK

AMD Phenom II 955BE
16GB G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1333Mhz
Sapphire Radeon HD 7850
Logitech Z-5300 5.1 THX surround sound
HANNS-G 28" LCD
ZBoard Merc Gaming Keyboard
CoolerMaster HAF-932 Full Tower Case
Windows 7 Pro x64
Shamrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 01:43 AM   #87
Apple

Quote:
so there is no problem then... it can be turned off...
Lol, i am familiar with the switch, but my point was that the switch should turn DST on, not "off" which is the case now. First, DST is not specified in DirectX 9.0 and is Nv only (in the past, Futuremark stated that they only apply special features if 2 hardware vendors would use it!), and second, it simply decreases I.Q. on shadows. Well, this is imho, i don't like if things are aliased.

On the other side i can understand why they implement DST by default for Nv, to hold balance in the "world of Graphics": the Geforce FX cards would have been completely blown away by the competition (it already is) as the use of DST increases performance up to 50% on FX cards. It wouldn't also done good to the 6800U which already is behind in scores to the X800XT, without DST the gap would be 10/15% bigger which ain't good for the industry.

To be honest? I think the DST switch in first instance was there to switch on DST, so DST was not the default. And when they saw the last "wonderdriver" from Ati they thought "hey, the gap will be to big".
Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 02:44 AM   #88
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple
Lol, i am familiar with the switch, but my point was that the switch should turn DST on, not "off" which is the case now. First, DST is not specified in DirectX 9.0 and is Nv only (in the past, Futuremark stated that they only apply special features if 2 hardware vendors would use it!), and second, it simply decreases I.Q. on shadows. Well, this is imho, i don't like if things are aliased.

On the other side i can understand why they implement DST by default for Nv, to hold balance in the "world of Graphics": the Geforce FX cards would have been completely blown away by the competition (it already is) as the use of DST increases performance up to 50% on FX cards. It wouldn't also done good to the 6800U which already is behind in scores to the X800XT, without DST the gap would be 10/15% bigger which ain't good for the industry.

To be honest? I think the DST switch in first instance was there to switch on DST, so DST was not the default. And when they saw the last "wonderdriver" from Ati they thought "hey, the gap will be to big".

interesting theory... but i dont think so..
ATI was behind Nvidia with driver 4.9.. by a nice gap.. just look at hanners/XBitlabs first review.. which Nvidia was in the lead.ATI just rushed up some magical drivers at the last minute , that here people are investigating for ->*missing effects* and lower IQ ..that can increase the performance. and doesnt match the Dx9 reference image. ,the DST is non-issue ,because again you can turn it [off] ,if you have the professional version ,a version that every reviewer should use. another thing is the AA quality ...in my earlier post that seems you have missed? . using your propertly taken 6xaa shots they show more aliasing ..than at NV 4xAA..but just slighty. the missing effects (the fog) seems to be happening too in one of your shot.so the way it stand at the moment ATI is the questioned for its IQ .(with no answers.) not Nvidia ...Nvidia DST diferences already have been explained that can be disable. your screenshots only proof that some of the IQ issues can be fixed through the CP and tweaking. but not that there arent any issues ,that might make Reviewers to incorrectly measure performance with significant diferences in IQ againts ATI like the Bjorn3d/DH shots..so i will like to wait and see how this turn to be. im really sure in a week or less we will have a better picture of this.

Last edited by Nv40; 10-04-04 at 03:26 AM.
Old 10-04-04, 02:58 AM   #89
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

I thought ati's newest drivers == 1000 point gain, nvidia's latest drivers == 600 point gain...

both last minute drivers init?
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 03:35 AM   #90
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
Originally Posted by neliz
Ahaha, people like nV40 are going to feel so PWNED!

http://www.bit-tech.net/review/359/5

They allready did an image quality comparison at bit-tech between the latest beta drivers from both nV and ATi.. and what shows, no big discrepancies!
ATi seems to have a more blurry effect to textures and the nV beta's seem to be lacking some effects on certain surfaces.

And then, people like nV40 forget that the PCIe version of the X800's were allready scoring those numbers, he just can't accept that it really was a bug in the AGP vertex memory management..

The only real difference bit-tech can find is probably because of the way the different shaders 2.0 and 3.0 are programmed.

so, good luck finding those big cheats in the 4.10 drivers

its nice to see you dont read.. never said ATI cheating or anything.. of the like.. just that people have found missing effects and IQ issues that can have an impact in performance, apart from the DST diferences..that are under investigation in many forums . look at the discoveries of people here.. this thread is not about what NV40 says versus ATI ..dont shoot the messenger.

Last edited by Nv40; 10-04-04 at 04:10 AM.
Old 10-04-04, 03:41 AM   #91
neliz

Not rendering effects is cheating, most notably if it's fog or AF of objects.

Most, if not all of those cases are found by users that.. seem to have user issues.

As it currently stands, the 66.51 forceware drivers have more bugs/cheats in 3dmark05 than the 8.07 catalysts.

But then again, the 4.10 drivers will be WHQL qualified when they arrive today or tomorrotw (or maybe a bit later down this week.) we'll still have to wait like what, two or three months before nV releases a complete WHQL driver package.

And yes, you didn't say ati was cheating... but that they have IQ issues, the same goes for NV offcourse.
neliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 03:53 AM   #92
Nv40
Agent-Fx

Quote:
for the record that was told by you not me..

Quote:

and yes, you didn't say ati was cheating... but that they have IQ issues, the same goes for NV offcourse.
yes.. like many others ,also noticed the IQ diferences. (when explored more the screeshots) and you will notice them too. but my observations were only about AA quality.. wich were Obvious quality diferences. wich seems to be an ATi issue about the way you enable it with ATI drivers in the Cp. others found banding and missing effects in ATi shots .shadows diferences with Nvidia are DST related i think.. which can be turned off with the Pro version.

Last edited by Nv40; 10-04-04 at 04:08 AM.

Old 10-04-04, 05:06 AM   #93
neliz

Yes, Hexus has a GREAT writeup on image quality, here's their bit on DST

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...JsX3BhZ2U9Nw==
http://img.hexus.net/v2/features/3dm...s/dst_diff.jpg

Last edited by neliz; 10-04-04 at 09:24 AM.
neliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 06:28 AM   #94
OWA

Quote:

Most, if not all of those cases are found by users that.. seem to have user issues.
Not rendering the mist has been confirmed by others as well. I don't appear to have any "user issues". ChrisRay confirmed what I found and I got someone else on another forum (that has the XT) to confirm it with his card. If you have the pro version of 3DMark05, it should be something that you can easily confirm.

Edit: I'm not sure if you're talking about the mist stuff I brought up or not since you also have another discussion going. So, if you were talking about something else, just ignore my response.
OWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 11:40 AM   #95
Apple

[quote]
Quote:
the DST is non-issue ,because again you can turn it [off]
Well heck, let's put 3Dc in there too by default, and make a switch so the Pro users can turn it off. Ofcourse this is ridicilous, hardware vendor specific features which affects the reference image negative, and especially if they are patented by one vendor (so the others can't use it) and are non DirectX9 (which is the case with DST) doesn't belong in there by default.
(Fine if you can turn it on afterwards, or fine using by default when it doesn't affect IQ, but it does so it shouldn't be the default mode.)
Apple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-04, 01:55 PM   #96
jbirney

[quote=Apple]
Quote:

Well heck, let's put 3Dc in there too by default, and make a switch so the Pro users can turn it off. Ofcourse this is ridicilous, hardware vendor specific features which affects the reference image negative, and especially if they are patented by one vendor (so the others can't use it) and are non DirectX9 (which is the case with DST) doesn't belong in there by default.
(Fine if you can turn it on afterwards, or fine using by default when it doesn't affect IQ, but it does so it shouldn't be the default mode.)
Good summary. 3Dmark is suppose to be netural and not use any non-dx9 vender specific paths. Including DST and having it on has no place in a DX9 benchmark. I am sure if 3Dc was there instead of DST and on by default, people would have posted differently in this thread
jbirney is offline   Reply With Quote