96%

Doom 3 got - 90%
FarCry got - 91%
Half-Life 1 got - 96%

*** Removed per PC Gamer's request *** -Clay

PC Zone
97%

Quote:
Play it, enjoy it, savour it. Games may never get this good again.
Doom 3 got - 90%
Fact- PC Zone's highest score ever, tied with Quake 2.

PC Format
96%

PCGAMEPLAY NL
90%

Doom 3 got - 86%
FarCry got - 93%
Half-Life 1 got - 95%

Quote:
They first start lamenting the fact that HL2 does not have a "proper" HL2 MP deathmach. They would have liked to play MP games within the HL2 world...

That is the "bad" part about the game.

So what's good, you ask?

Well everything else really. Read on.

(start of minor spoiler)

It seems that Gordon is working for G-man, but is teaming up with the Allience. Dr Breem seems to be a former collegue of Gordon from Black Mesa. He has teamed up with Xen aliens and is now controlling the world in nazi-fashion.

(end of minor spoiler)

HL2 is THE next gen FPShooter. Believe the hype! The BINK videos have functioned as a distracting mechanism, since the actual game seems to, on occasions, differ from the content showed in the BINKS.

The strongest attribute of the game seems to be the ingenious use of technology (Source) within the leveldesign. They praise VALVE for its genious. The puzzles are very intelligently devised. BUT,
it seems that no matter how big the levels are, and there a 15 of them in the game, they are all fairly linear in nature. There is a start and there is an end. The gameplay is not as openended as, say, FAR CRY.

City 17 = total war

Ravenholm = gore fest, fear and tension (reminiscing DOOM 3 in ambience)

The hovercraft level is extremely impressive and fun and warrants a separate game!

There are headcrabs, headhunters (venom has a paralysing effect?), zombiedogs (which are fast mofos), zombies (which are very impertinent it seems).

And then there are the combine. They will try to intelligently ambush by surrounding you, always taking cover when possible, they will flush you out when necessary (a la HL 1). The enemy AI is thus great. And opposing the combine is the Alliance with which you do battle, against the combine. You can "summon" up to 4 allies (with "v") , that will follow and do battle along with you (You can summon the because Gordon seems to have a Messianic reputation among the Allies). Sometimes they tend to get in your line of fire, temporarily obstructing your offence, but they seem to be able to reposition themselves once this occurs, thank Valve (so no Daikatana flaws here). They will also run for cover if overwhelm (sometimes they will even run away, which is considered to be another downer by PC GAMEPLAY).

Many impressive enemies (awe inspiring) like tanks, gunships, dropships(!) and of course the Striders...(which ARE destructible!). All guns from HL1 seem to have returned, plus the pheropods and the GRAVITY GUN: a pulse rifle with a "thermal grenade" as secondary fire! You can now use (tripod)turrets for your own purposes too...

All gunfights are intense. And playing on HARD is a real challenge.They finished the game in 19 hours on NORMAL. But they didn't want it to end so they will play it again. There is definitely a replay value! They want HL3!!!!

Gameplay 55/60
Graphics 18/20
Sound 17/20

SCORE 90%

P.S.: There is no mention whatsoever of Half-life: Source, which is a pity really.

A few observations of my own:

(start of potential spoilers)

-D.O.G is able to pick up cars and has an anthropomorphic anatomy (and is big)!

-Sometime down the line Both Eli and Alyx seem to get kidnapped by Dr. Breem.

Last edited by Clay; 10-08-04 at 04:14 PM.
jAkUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 02:13 PM   #14
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Default Re: HL2 review, 96% in PCG UK

They also released benchmarks with a promise of a demo and no damn game a year to this date. They need to release the bloody game which was due "summer".
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 02:28 PM   #15
DMA
Zzzleepy

Nice, jAkUp saves the day.
I haven't had the time to look through that monster thread for a while.
Old 09-30-04, 02:38 PM   #16
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

Cant wait for the release, i have all preloads : )
Old 09-30-04, 02:42 PM   #17
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Hmm, so it sounds like the generic corridors and screwy ending are the main bad things about the game? I can live with that, since what I've played...I mean...seen...seemed to mainly take place in outdoor and large environments.
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 02:51 PM   #18
SlamDunk

After finishing the mediocrity that is DOOM 3 and then remembering the 94% score it got made me laugh. So, I don't trust this review at all... but I do have much more hope that HL2 will NOT disappoint. HL1 was and still is a masterpiece ...
SlamDunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 03:07 PM   #19
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vash
Eh, maybe. Did you think Half-Life was boring once you beat it?
Hehe as far as replay value..nope I didn't care to play it again and I thought the multiplayer was horrid. I liked the SP game alot but I was one of those wierd folks that enjoyed Unreal1 more.

I also absolutely loved Doom3. Corridors don't bother me. =)

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 03:43 PM   #20
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav
I liked the SP game alot but I was one of those wierd folks that enjoyed Unreal1 more.
You're not the only wierd one. Fighting aliens through ruins on an unknown planet was much more immersive for me than through mostly industrial warehouses
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-30-04, 04:07 PM   #21
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Oh yeah baby, oh yeah, that's what I like to see. Babe following you, troop commanding, D.O.G.G....

This game better come out soon! No...wait...I hope it comes out later so I get some time in with KuF and Halo 2 first! But no...I NEED this game NOW...must have...gah, brain exploding.
Old 09-30-04, 04:12 PM   #22
bmg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Hmm, so it sounds like the generic corridors and screwy ending are the main bad things about the game? I can live with that, since what I've played...I mean...seen...seemed to mainly take place in outdoor and large environments.
I believe what the review was saying was that it's NOT just endless corridors and NOT the end of the the Half Life story.
bmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 04:34 PM   #23
JayrodTremonki

Am I the only one who's just tired of this game and wouldn't care if it EVER came out at this point? This is from someone who's spent countless hours playing HL and CS. Not meaning to just flame the game, that I obviously haven't played, but I'm wondering if I'm alone on this =\
JayrodTremonki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-04, 04:36 PM   #24
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmg
I believe what the review was saying was that it's NOT just endless corridors and NOT the end of the the Half Life story.
I was wondering about that, they have a real wierd wording for the whole "it is, it's not" thing. I thought it was just their version of pros and cons, since that's how almost every other magazine does it (and isn't that how PCgamer used to do it, too?).

I am wondering how the game ends, people that read the leaked script for it said it had a suprise ending. I won't mind another Half-life game in about 5 years. Hmm, a 5 year sequel cycle...I could live with that.