Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-04, 03:07 PM   #1
rosey

Default black screen with 2.6.8 and 6111 driver

Hello All,

I have started a new thread as xilopp's solution (see "kernel 2.6.8 and black screen with last driver" thread) did not apply to my system - I have no "IgnoreDisplayDevices" options in my XF86Config-4 file.
So here goes. . .
I'm running Debian SID with a custom 2.6.8 SMP kernel on a dual P3 system with a GeForce4 MX 440 (64mb/PCI).
I have tried installing the driver with ACPI active and with "acpi=off", either way the driver installs great (nice job there) but the black screen problem remains, and when I ssh to the affected machine, xfree86 is using right around 100% of cpu #1. Examining the xfree log shows nothing really intriguing (at least to me) and neither do dmesg, or the system log. As far as I can tell, everything is working as expected except for the blank screen and the cpu usage.
I haven't tried applying the patch for 6111, as I am not experiencing a lockup during operation - please let me know if this patch might be applicable.
I'm attaching the appropriate logs. . .and thanks for any info.

I have also added my XF86Config-4 file and tried one more thing -
I patched the source (nv.c) with NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-6111-2.6.9.diff.txt and tried reinstalling with acpi active and with kopt=acpi=off. . .got the exact same results.

Richard
Attached Files
File Type: txt varlogmessages.txt (17.8 KB, 137 views)
File Type: txt xfree86log.txt (25.3 KB, 107 views)
File Type: txt dmesg.txt (13.0 KB, 122 views)
File Type: txt XF86Config-4.txt (3.0 KB, 162 views)

Last edited by rosey; 10-07-04 at 04:31 PM. Reason: added XF86Config and a few other tidbits
rosey is offline   Reply With Quote