Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-04, 09:24 AM   #1
omry_y

Default Compiling linux drivers on Debian

I am having problems to compile LINUX kernel drivers.
I extracted then to a directory under ~/download/, and when I try to make them, I get a long list of compilation errors, which begins with what follows.
what am I missing?

omry@omry:~/download/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123$ make
cc -c -Wall -Wimplicit -Wreturn-type -Wswitch -Wformat -Wchar-subscripts -Wparentheses -Wpointer-arith -Wcast-qual -Wno-multichar -O -MD -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -DNTRM -D_GNU_SOURCE -DRM_HEAPMGR -D_LOOSE_KERNEL_NAMES -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNV_MAJOR_VERSION=1 -DNV_MINOR_VERSION=0 -DNV_PATCHLEVEL=3123 -DNV_UNIX -DNV_LINUX -DNVCPU_X86 -I. -I/usr/src/linux/include -Wno-cast-qual nv.c
In file included from /usr/include/asm/smp.h:18,
from /usr/include/linux/smp.h:17,
from /usr/include/linux/sched.h:23,
from /usr/include/linux/module.h:10,
from nv-linux.h:28,
from nv.c:14:
omry_y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 11:29 AM   #2
Soluzar

Default Re: Compiling linux drivers on Debian

May I ask you frankly: Are you wedded to Debian? That is to say, would you rather stick with Debian than have everything work? If not, try switching to Gentoo. The driver installation process on gentoo is one single command.
Code:
emerge nvidia-kernel nvidia-glx
Then it's done. You still need to setup your config file, and resolve any kernel issues that you may have, but it's a lot less painfull than under some distros for my money.
Soluzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 01:21 PM   #3
Lithorus

You seems to be missing the actual error message.

Also the driver you are compiling seems to be quite old.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 01:22 PM   #4
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soluzar
May I ask you frankly: Are you wedded to Debian? That is to say, would you rather stick with Debian than have everything work? If not, try switching to Gentoo. The driver installation process on gentoo is one single command.
Code:
Then it's done. You still need to setup your config file, and resolve any kernel issues that you may have, but it's a lot less painfull than under some distros for my money.
Lol, you HAVE to be kidding, right?

I tried gentoo not long ago and I returned to debian because THERE everything worked. Please, the guy is asking for help and leave your zealoting elsewhere...
Old 10-06-04, 01:59 PM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@omry_y: you're attempting to install a very old NVIDIA driver release, please try 1.0-6111 instead. If this also fails, please attach the complete nvidia-installer log file.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-04, 02:23 PM   #6
Soluzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Lol, you HAVE to be kidding, right?

I tried Gentoo not long ago and I returned to debian because THERE everything worked. Please, the guy is asking for help and leave your zealoting elsewhere...
That _is_ help. I used debian for a long time. NOTHING EVER WORKED. I couldn't get ALSA, or the nvidia driver to work. It's not 'zealoting' -- I just know that with Debian's religious attitude to OSS/FS the nvidia driver will always be a problem.

For me, everything on my Gentoo box works as well as can ever be expected. Plus I sort of like having versions of things like Gnome that were released this century.
Old 10-07-04, 02:16 AM   #7
gabuzo

Lightbulb Re: Compiling linux drivers on Debian

Quote:
Originally Posted by omry_y
omry@omry:~/download/NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-3123$ make
As someone told you you are trying to install a pretty old version of the Nvidia drivers. You should try to get the latest version. Beside this, packages for the nvidia are available through apt-get at least for testing (sarge) and unstable (sid).
Old 10-07-04, 02:23 AM   #8
gabuzo

Angry Re: Compiling linux drivers on Debian

Quote:
That _is_ help.
I do know that Gentoo is a killing distro and that Debian (especially the stable branch) may be frustrating if you want you have the bleeding edge features. However if you wanna help, how about mentionning that he was trying to install a really old version of the drivers first?

Old 10-07-04, 05:16 AM   #9
Soluzar

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabuzo
I do know that Gentoo is a killing distro and that Debian (especially the stable branch) may be frustrating if you want you have the bleeding edge features. However if you wanna help, how about mentionning that he was trying to install a really old version of the drivers first?
OK. sure. Try this. On Debian, since they have their religious attitude towards non-OSS/FS, there's no automatic installation for the drivers. This means that they won't be automatically updated, to the most recent version.

On Gentoo, there is an ebuild, which (as standard) installs a 5x.xx version. That's newer than what the OP was using. Also, if you unmask the newer version in package.keywords, there is a new ebuild for 6111. It works flawlessly. First time, every time. It is by far and away the easiest distro I have found to install the drivers on. I have tried RH9, SUSE, Mandrake, Debian, and Gentoo, BTW. This is not zealotry for me. I could care less if you or anyone else wanna use Debian. Or even the toy operating systems that MS put out. OTOH if you have having problems installing the drivers under linux, then gentoo is one cure.

As for the older version, some people require to install an old version. On some systems, the new drivers won't work at all.

I'm not getting involved in a protracted debate, so I'm gonna leave it here. Next time I see someone struggling along with a 20th century OS, I'll just ignore it.
Old 10-07-04, 08:15 AM   #10
Lithorus

Quote:
OK. sure. Try this. On Debian, since they have their religious attitude towards non-OSS/FS, there's no automatic installation for the drivers. This means that they won't be automatically updated, to the most recent version.
I think you have misunderstood apart of the debian "religion". For things like nvidia drivers and such there is the non-free section and there is also a nvidia-glx and a nvidia-kernel package, although I tend to use my own build kernels so I just use the nvidia installer.

Also there is nothing stopping you from building your own apt-source with some prebuild drivers. However this is where debian and gentoo differs. Gentoo's strength (and weaknes) lies in the build-from-source and building a driver fits perfectly in here. Debian also have the apt-source, but I haven't tried that. The standard debian way of installing drivers is depending mostly on prebuilt stuff.

Anyway there is a debian how to here http://home.comcast.net/~andrex/Debi...dia/index.html
Old 10-07-04, 10:19 AM   #11
omry_y

Quote:
Code:

sorry for the late reply.
first of all, I tried to install gentoo before I tried debian, it seemed nice, only I never got passed the internet connection configuration.
so I gave up, and now I am in debian.
not going to change that, I am sure its possible to install the drivers there.
Old 10-07-04, 10:26 AM   #12
omry_y

Hi All, Thanks for your replies.
It appears that I was using an ancient driver, not because I need to - simply because that what I happen to land over from google.
so, I took the new drivers (NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-6111-pkg1.run), which is still giving me problems:
my kernel version is 2.6.7-1-386, so I got kernel-source-2.6.7 from apt.
now, it gave me the file '/usr/src/kernel-source-2.6.7.tar.bz2'
I tried to run the installer, and it said I can't find the source to the kernel - so I guess I should uncomress the source somewhere.
the problem is that I was not able to find where I am supposed to unpack it.
guessed several locations, but I think its time to stop guessing.
so, where should I put it?