Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Who will buy Half Life 2 on Steam or DVD?
DVD 52 47.71%
Bronze $49.95 14 12.84%
Silver $59.95 29 26.61%
Gold $89.95 9 8.26%
Or both (Bronze, Silver or Gold and DVD) 5 4.59%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-09-04, 03:22 PM   #85
AthlonXP1800

Default Re: Who will buy Half Life 2 on Steam or DVD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
FYI, Half-Life: Source comes in the DVD collector's edition.
Indeed but DVD collector's edition will not be available to buy from retailers in many countries like UK but only for USA. I tried to searched everywhere that I can buy one in UK but unfortunately UK version will be a normal DVD with just Half Life 2 and CounterStrike: Source, it will not have DVD collector's edition. I think DVD collector's edition will be limited in USA, when it all sold out, it will never reproduce again.
Intel Core i7 3770K, Corsair H80 liquid cooler with Noctua S12-1200 fan, ASUS P8Z77V with UEFI 2104, 16GB Samsung Green 30nm DDR3-RAM, Pioneer BDR-S09XLT 16x Blu-ray writer, Corsair AX850 PSU, Western Digital 2TB SATA3 hard drive, CanonScan LiDE 210 scanner, Microsoft Internet Keyboard, Microsoft Touch Explorer mouse, 32inch Sharp LC32LE600 LED TV, EVGA Geforce GTX 670 SC 4GB with Geforce 370.50 driver, 50Mb broadband Virgin Media VMDG480 Super Hub, Aspire Xplorer Midi Tower, Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit.
AthlonXP1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 04:00 PM   #86
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Unless you find someone in the United States who would be nice enough to pre-order a copy for you and when it comes out, ship it your way.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-04, 10:53 PM   #87
kasperisa

I just pre-ordered the Collectors edition. I went to a mall called Rideau Centre in Ottawa, Canada. There are two computer stores there. One is called Electronic Boutique. I'm sure your all aware of them. The other was called Compusmart. Some expensive looking computer store. EB was selling the collectors edition for $112.99 canadian dollars. Compusmart was selling it for 89.95$. compusmart was literally one floor directly above EBgames. Does this make any business sense for EB? or are they just on some type of exotic drug.
I spoke to the salesman at EB and he said this is the price the corporate office tells us to sell it at. Are there any other canadians who purchased from EB? if so, how much?
kasperisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 06:23 AM   #88
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

$112.99, converted to US dollars is about $90, which is about $10 more than the price listed at ebgames.com. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But are you completely sure the other store was selling the collector's edition for that much? For Canadian funds, $90 is a very good price.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 08:10 AM   #89
DJMONDY

Im tempted to go for the silver package tonight. Im not sure what to do yet?

If i do go for it what do i get straight away? And how long does it take to download on a 512connection??
DJMONDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 08:36 AM   #90
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMONDY
Im tempted to go for the silver package tonight. Im not sure what to do yet?

If i do go for it what do i get straight away? And how long does it take to download on a 512connection??
You get to pretty much precache everything, CS:S will be the only thing playable though. And if you’ve only got a 512K connection, you’ll be d/ling data for a while
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 08:42 AM   #91
DJMONDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by |JuiceZ|
You get to pretty much precache everything, CS:S will be the only thing playable though. And if you’ve only got a 512K connection, you’ll be d/ling data for a while
What about the payments? Is there a monthly/yearly fee?

If i order the silver package and when half-life 2 eventually comes out do i have to be connected to steam/net to play single player on half-life 2?

What package did you get?

Sorry about all the questions

Last edited by DJMONDY; 10-11-04 at 09:14 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 09:57 AM   #92
kasperisa

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
$112.99, converted to US dollars is about $90, which is about $10 more than the price listed at ebgames.com. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

But are you completely sure the other store was selling the collector's edition for that much? For Canadian funds, $90 is a very good price.
What do you mean if I'm sure? Of course I am, I paid for it! call them if you want. Compusmart at rideau centre in ottawa, ontario, canada.
kasperisa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-04, 10:28 AM   #93
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMONDY
What about the payments? Is there a monthly/yearly fee?

If i order the silver package and when half-life 2 eventually comes out do i have to be connected to steam/net to play single player on half-life 2?

What package did you get?

Sorry about all the questions
There are no monthly fees associated w/ Steam like an MMORP. You buy the package from Steam, dl it & you’re set. Now when HL2 finally is released, you’ll prolly have to connect up to steam to unlock what you’ve already d/led but after that you’re fine. Steam doesn’t need to be connected in order to play single player. What you have to do is login to Steam in “offline” mode. It will then tell you no updates are availible but you’ll still be able to play single player.

I currently have the bronze package since a friend of mine gave me an Ati voulcher but, I will prolly go ahead & upgrade to silver since its only $10 more once the game goes gold.

Also, regardless of which package you purchase, Steam will still allow you to precache HL2, so in the event that you do buy it a majority of the data will already be d/led on yer machine.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 10:49 AM   #94
DJMONDY

|JuiceZ|: Thankyou for your info. Im gonna start the silver package as soon as i get home!

Thanks again

Just one last question. Can i backup (with blank cd's) what i download from steam just incase anything goes wrong?

Last edited by DJMONDY; 10-11-04 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-11-04, 12:14 PM   #95
Edge
3d animator for hire!

Yes, Steam files are stored as .gfd files in the SteamApps/*youremail* directory. If you burn them to a CD/DVD-R, then you can just copy them back to that directory and it won't need to download them again. Be warned though, some of those files will be huge, and HL2's full cache files will probably take up 3-4 CD-Rs. Also, I think that you can redownload any game from Steam once you've registered it (though that will obviously take a lot longer than copying them from a CD).
Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 12:51 PM   #96
DJMONDY

All the info you guys give helped me alot, Thanks!!

Im currently downloading CS:Source. I went for the silver package (yay)

Thanks again people and happy gameing!!

Cheers