Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-11-02, 09:44 AM   #25
1eppan

Quote:
Originally posted by Solomon
How do you people look at your video card?
fact seems to be that you either are the fastest or all of your cards just sucks.

I have been helping a lot of ppl doing updgrades on their computers during these 8 years I have been doing stuff with PCs. During last two years the first question when giving advices on GFX card has been "do you prefer some manufacturer?" if friend says something other than "Any goes as long as it does the job", there's no use of offering anything else than preferable card maker cards, though there would be something that suits better on the competitors list.

though 3D cards are started to be a normal part of even slowest computers, it still seems that ppl still prefer fps winner instead of card that would fit a bit better to their needs , though their Q3 fps would drop from 300 to 250. I still see ppl having ti4600 cards running Q3's without any AA nor AF and monitor is 17" KFC. "why I bought that card? well, my friend said it is the best so saved on monitor and got the fastest, yeah! and What's the difference between monitors anyway?? it's all the same, you know."

I agree with Scott that Parhelia never got a chance. partially because launch time drivers and partially because of reviews having "let's skip the usual stuff and take this card to the bench." attitude. But no can do, and "it's pretty much late to cry when the milk is already on the carpet."

Only thing is hope for better future the Matrox. Having one more player on the ground never makes bad to consumers. (or if you can claim something else, you truly are Die-Hard fan of some company.)
1eppan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 09:50 AM   #26
Solomon

Very well said, 1eppan

You basically nailed it on the head with your first sentence, "Fact seems to be that you either are the fastest or all of your cards just suck." That's the mentallity of 99% of the people. Or at least the people that i've ran into.

D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 10:13 AM   #27
Typedef Enum

I'll give you 2 Antialiased test cases.

Battlefield1942:

This game stutters like heck on the GF4, and yet, the test that I did had the Parhelia beating it by about 8 FPS or so. Completely smooth on the Parhelia, however.

Aliens vs. Predators 2:

This one is in the category of "WTF?" The GF4 yielded like 30 FPS, as compared to 70 FPS for the Parhelia. I've re-run this thing a bunch of times, and I get the same results every time. It's totally obvious that the performance is lackluster on the GF4 from the moment the game begins.

In fact, how about using the tried and true benchmark Quake3? When you force the GF4 to try and render a timedemo using the same settings as a Surround-Mode on the Parhelia, it gets beat.

In other words, forget about the lame 10x7 example...Try something like 1600x1200 + 4xAA and see where things stand.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 10:18 AM   #28
Solomon

So scott, you ran those two games at 1600x1200 if I read correctly?

D. Solomon Jr.
*********.com
Solomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-02, 11:48 AM   #29
Typedef Enum

In truth, I used some rather funky resolutions....IE 1600x900.

My main motivation in doing this was to try and get a single-monitor resolution to equal that of Surround Gaming. I could have simply stuck to, say, 1600x1200 across the board...But the original intent was to match the 2400x600 of the Parhelia.
Old 11-11-02, 06:09 PM   #30
pelly

In all fairness, I did not have the chance to read the review. However, looking over the posts here, I decided to do a bit of research on my own. Heading over to X-Bit Labs ( some of the most in-depth reviews I've ever seen ), I found this huge review:

http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/matrox...a/index.html#1

A clip from the conclusion ( where he raves about surround gaming ):

"So, we may conclude: Matrox Parhelia is a graphics card for work, not for games. Seems like the 3D features of the card are just an obligatory trait of the current fashion. Moreover, Matrox itself is moving the focus more towards business application of Parhelia rather than gaming. The company releases drivers optimized for AutoCad, 3D Studio MAX, SolidWorks - these software suites are not intended for gaming purposes. . "
pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-02, 03:17 PM   #31
Typedef Enum

I'll basically mirror what I said in another forum, though a little less typing

Ii will be posting the Parhelia vs. GF4/Ti4600 charts over at Beyond3D when I have a chance to do so later on tonight. For a variety of reasons, this infomation will not be found in the article when it finally gets posted.

I already hinted @ a couple of things earlier, but let me just say this...

If you're talking about high-resolution + Antialiasing, the Parhelia will take the performance lead using the latest drivers for each card. That's the bottom line.

In some cases, the performance margin is surprisingly wide. In Aliens vs. Predators2, the Parhelia is like 2.5x faster than the GF4. Even in Quake3-engine games, the Parhelia yields higher performance...and it seems, looking @ the numbers, that Matrox has a little driver bug that could make the difference even wider.

I re-ran every one of the benchmarks over the weekend, and quite frankly, couldn't believe the results...But I can assure you that they're accurate/spot-on.

I even added 2x level of anisotropic filtering, and the achieved the same results...the Parhelia was still faster when combining AA + A.F.

Anyhow, I will provide a link to the B3D forum when I get a chance to post the results.
Old 11-12-02, 09:02 PM   #32
thcdru2k

Send a message via ICQ to thcdru2k Send a message via AIM to thcdru2k

please do. too bad you don't have a r9700 to put in the mix though. that be a real test.

11118 3DMarks
thcdru2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-13-02, 09:48 AM   #33
Typedef Enum

Here it is...

http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewto...?p=54126#54126

Check out the numbers...I actually had like 4 more charts, but didn't want to overdo it on B3D's site...
Old 11-16-02, 07:37 AM   #34
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Is a Parhelia worth the upgrade over my GF3 for performance in games(today and tomorrows) with FSAA and AF?

Last edited by Kruno; 11-16-02 at 07:42 AM.
Kruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 09:18 AM   #35
Typedef Enum

That's not an easy question for me to just spit out an answer...Think about what I said in the conclusion...

The Parhelia has a lot of room to grow too...One thing that I didn't specify in the article was Shader performance. I've done some testing, and it seems that Matrox have yet to tap the potential there.

It's not a framerate monster, but it does a lot of things right...
Old 11-16-02, 06:59 PM   #36
MRX
"Its all good!"

Smile Great Review & Summation

This review enbodies the overall functionality of a true 2D/3D video accelerator. In real world application most people use their computers for 2D business/productivity applications. So given this situation, Matrox has produced a nice solution to this end.

Yes, it does not offer the fastest frame rates, the the quality of 2D and 3D imagery is very good from what I have seen. The multi-screen modes are nice, however thats where I would also like to see a standard model w/o this feature, hense the price would be lower too. Monitors also affect the way images are displayed, so if you have a nice flat screen LCD or STD CRT that will make an impact on image quality as well. Some monitors offer better sharpness at resolution and color saturation.

In the end this was a nice review which touched on some finer points of the card and provided another take on what Matrox might do to improve their marketing of future solutions based on this video CPU- the second version seems to be in the works and possibliy close to completion.
MRX is offline   Reply With Quote