Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-16-02, 09:55 PM   #37
str

Thank you for a very informative and insightful review. I applaud your efforts especially showing the strengths rather than highlighting the weaknesses. It would like to code with 3 monitors like in your picture and maybe I will buy such a setup in the future now that I am more aware of it's obvious benefits.

<retracted! Didn't know that Sapphire pressured nvnews into putting the review up before it was ready>

Last edited by str; 11-17-02 at 07:15 AM.
str is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-02, 10:37 PM   #38
pelly

Ah...yet another "fan" looking for rosey-red bar-graphs and delusions of glitch-free products. I suppose you'd never want to hear of any problems we encounter, so you can pay your hard-earned money and have something go wrong and find out the hard way?

Vendors know ( NVIDIA-based included ) that we will report the good and the bad...that's our job. I review hardware, I don't run the ATI PR department. Perhaps you should head back to the Rage3D forums where you're registered as well...they're sure to have some positive info for you.

Back on topic ( given this is a thread about the Matrox card )...great review Typedef...I like how you used a wide variety of engines to test with...

pelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-02, 12:58 AM   #39
str

<retracted! Didn't know that Sapphire pressured nvnews into putting the review up before it was ready>

Last edited by str; 11-17-02 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 03:19 AM   #40
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by str
Also, the only worthwhile version now would be the 9700 non-pro since the lower specification models have only 4 pixel pipelines which is effectively equivelent to only 2 with multitexturing enabled compared to my GF4TI4200 and that sucks so why should I bother when NV30 is just around the corner and will likely cost maybe 25-50% more than the 9700 non-pro.
the R9500Pro has 8 pipelines too. the R9500 has 4.

i like reviews that expose strengths as well as flaws. something is works great in theory is useless to me as a consumer if i am one of the people who runs into the problems that deplete the advantages i should be seeing.
Old 11-17-02, 06:28 AM   #41
str

Last edited by str; 11-17-02 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 06:54 AM   #42
str

Last edited by str; 11-17-02 at 07:14 AM.
Old 11-17-02, 12:05 PM   #43
Typedef Enum

Thanks for the good/kind words

There's no doubt in my mind that if you were to setup the following in a booth:

1. On the left, an ATI 9700 configuration.
2. On the right, a brand new NV30 configuration
3. In the middle, a Matrox Parhelia configuration w/ 3 Displays.

You would be blown away by the sheer power/performance of 9700/NV30. No doubt about it.

Then, you would walt over to the Parhelia setup and go...

"Hey, now that's something. I mean, I can really see this thing rocking on my system @ home!"

This becomes even more so if you happen to be a professional dveloper (be it software, hardware, graphics, etc). Anybody that does one of these things for a living will instantly see the Parhelia as a Godsend.

Once Doom III finally ships, this will finally put emphasis on performance once again. As of right now, performance isn't a big issue with current games.
Typedef Enum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-02, 02:15 PM   #44
llreye

To be somewhat offtopic (and I'm very much out of touch with the hardware world), months ago I saw mention of a nVidia initiative for a "premium" line.

IIRC, they realized their vendors weren't doing a good job with output filters or didn't have any at all, leading to poor visual quality. Not sure what came of it, but it would have been interesting to compare the analog outputs of Matrox and a nVidia card w/filters designed for visual quality.

Also, I would have assumed digital/DVI quality to be equal but apparently nVidia's (2nd) digital output is also poor. Sigh.

I suspect an optimized Parhelia 1.5 or 2.0 will be more palatable for general users vs professionals as price should decrease.

BTW, it's nice to hear the DVDmax/tv-out dual-head/triple-head functions work better. Never could get that working correctly.

Old 12-02-02, 09:43 AM   #45
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Beyond 3D Parhelia review

I just got through the Beyond3D review of the Parhelia. To me, the reviewer hit the nail right on the head with his conclusion:

Quote:
Matrox say they are refocusing Parhelia on the workstation market, which will probably make good use of the multi-monitor options; however, does this rule it out for the consumer market? If you are a high end gamer then it's unquestionable that you'd be looking at either the Radeon 9700 PRO or the upcoming GeForce FX for pure performance and future features. But if you are looking for reasonably good performance in current games, with all the features necessary to run them, Parhelia is certainly worth considering if you can afford it. If 2D and/or multi-monitor support are also a high priority then Parhelia requires some attention.
This is what Matrox should have done all along - focus on the niche. It has its place, but for the most part it's not with the hardcore gaming crowd.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-02, 01:45 PM   #46
VeritechK7
Just lurking

Send a message via ICQ to VeritechK7 Send a message via AIM to VeritechK7 Send a message via Yahoo to VeritechK7

I'd go w/a parhelia or a ATI AIW Radeon Card. Parhelia for multimonitor support and excellent 2D performance. AIW for the multiple function of decent TV quality and capturing efficiency. Although.. there are gonna be some HDTV based capture cards out in the future (yeah gonna cost an arm and leg but well worth it if my dad lets me get a digital cable box for an extra 10 bucks )

"When you understand the root, you understand all of its blossoming"- Bruce Lee
VeritechK7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 02:40 PM   #47
Leoncatz

Default Amazing Review

I've had my Developer Card for a while now and am EXTREMELY satisfied with it.

I'm currently running an IBM G96 as Primary, and an IBM G54 as Secondary; although I'm saving for 3 BenQ FP747s due to the Refresh Timings being beyond anything on the market right now and still under $500.00 CDN.

This Review is fantastic and now I finaly have a great place to send my soon-to-be-jelous friends to see just what I'm talking about when speaking of my Card.

Thanks for such an outstanding review!

Leon
Leoncatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-03, 02:57 PM   #48
Nebuchadnezzar

Default Re: Amazing Review

Quote:
Originally posted by Leoncatz
I've had my Developer Card for a while now and am EXTREMELY satisfied with it.

I'm currently running an IBM G96 as Primary, and an IBM G54 as Secondary; although I'm saving for 3 BenQ FP747s due to the Refresh Timings being beyond anything on the market right now and still under $500.00 CDN.

This Review is fantastic and now I finaly have a great place to send my soon-to-be-jelous friends to see just what I'm talking about when speaking of my Card.

Thanks for such an outstanding review!

Leon
Nebuchadnezzar is offline   Reply With Quote