Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-04, 06:49 AM   #1
d2d2d2d2

Angry Dual monitor on Dell Precision M60 : CRT "vibrates"

Hi,

I'm trying to configure a Dell Precision M60 laptop (nvidia Quadro FX Go700) to display on an external CRT in "Clone" mode (twinview). I actually managed to have 2 images : one on the flat panel display, another on the CRT. The image on the flat panel display is perfect (as usual).

BUT the image on the CRT "vibrates" : the contents of the image seems correct, but it vibrates horizontaly over 5-10 pixels really fast (eg 10-15 Hz), which makes the image totally unusable.

Everything works Ok under Windows XP with the same CRT. Under Linux, we have the same problem with another external screen (a video projector).

The problem appears with the NVIDIA 1.0-6111 driver on a 2.4.20 kernel (basic redhat 9), and on a 2.4.27 kernel (custom built), with XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Red Hat Linux 9 release: 4.3.0-2.90.55). I tried to change the AGP configurations (nvAGP), the Overlay config, the "digital vibrance" (what's this ?), to use the RenderAccel, the "Dac8Bit", the "ConnectedMonitor", the "UseEdidFreqs", ... same result. I even activated the "System" (instead of "On dock" or something) configuration regarding the Videocard in the BIOS... same result. I tried to use the agp GART of the nvidia driver, and that of the Linux kernel... same result.

By the way, I can start X one time, kill it, restart it a second time. But afterwards I cannot get any console back (by ctrl-alt-fX or by killing X).

Is there any "older" Nvidia driver that works wrt an external CRT ? Is there a special working combination XFree/Kernel/Nvidia driver ? on a Dell Precision M60 ?... Is there a fix to the NVIDIA driver ?
Old 10-20-04, 01:28 AM   #2
dontremember

Default Re: Dual monitor on Dell Precision M60 : CRT "vibrates"

Quote:
Originally Posted by d2d2d2d2
BUT the image on the CRT "vibrates" : the contents of the image seems correct, but it vibrates horizontaly over 5-10 pixels really fast (eg 10-15 Hz), which makes the image totally unusable.
{snip}
Is there any "older" Nvidia driver that works wrt an external CRT ? Is there a special working combination XFree/Kernel/Nvidia driver ? on a Dell Precision M60 ?... Is there a fix to the NVIDIA driver ?
Same problem here - M60 + docking station + CRT. I get the vibration with 6111, but if I downgrade to nvidia-kernel-1.0.5336 & nvidia-glx-1.0.5336 it works just fine. Couldn't tell you how to install them, though - I've been using Gentoo since RedHat 7.2...
dontremember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-04, 10:45 AM   #3
d2d2d2d2

Cool Re: Dual monitor on Dell Precision M60 : CRT "vibrates"

Thanks A LOT ! It works good now ! At least with the 2.6 kernel (I suspected the 2.4 kernel, that is why I switched to 2.6). No doubt it also works with the 2.4.

But, my next problem is that, with both "LeftOf" and "RightOf", the login screen (gdm) appears on the (external) CRT, not on the flat panel display. This is not very parctical when the CRT is not connected, because one has to login in "blind" mode.

I "circunvented" the problem by choosing the "Clone" TwinView mode instead of RightOf/LeftOf. But the limitation is that I also had to decrease the resolution, because the external screen is not a real CRT, but a low-resolution video-projector (we have to have the same resolution on the FPD and the CRT because the goal is to display "full slides" on the video-projector in "full screen", not "partial slides" due to the "virtual" resolution being greater than that of the video-projector). Having to use the flat panel display in 800x600 is kind of frustrating when we realize that the FPD of the Dell M60 can display up to 1920x1200...