Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-08-04, 03:02 PM   #1
windwalker_2000

Smile How to make Asus K8V motherboard detect an IDE drive after the SATA drive is boot up

How do you make an Asus K8V (non-Deluxe) motherboard to detect an IDE drive after a SATA hard drive had been boot up in Windows 2000 ?

1) I have one SATA drive that is boot up in Windows 2000. I then have an 80 gigabytes Maxtor hard drive that have no operating system, and is used only for storage.

After the SATA drive boot up, Windows 2000 cannot see the IDE drive.

It seemed that if you have an IDE drive and a SATA drive, the IDE must boot upi first, then Win2K can see the SATA drive, but if the SATA drive boot up first, Win2K can 't see the IDE drive. How do I solve this problem ?

//////////////////////////////////////////

2) In the ASUS K8V motherboard BIOS, under the POWER menu, there is three option for suspend mode
A) S1(pos) & S3 (str) auto
B) S1(pos) only
C) S3 only

What is the meaning of each of the three ?
What is advantage and disavantage of each one ?
windwalker_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 03:48 PM   #2
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|
Default Re: How to make Asus K8V motherboard detect an IDE drive after the SATA drive is boot

First does your detect both drives?
Second, if you go into Disk Mgmt (right click My Computer, select Manage, look under Storage), does it show your Maxtor IDE drive?

btw, your mb bios book should give you the best info regarding the power modes.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-04, 04:22 PM   #3
Bill The Cat
ACK

Default Re: How to make Asus K8V motherboard detect an IDE drive after the SATA drive is boot up

I have the same problem with my ABIT board on XP Pro. I have no idea how to fix it. It's a huge pain, though.

P4 2.4C @ 3.12|1024 MB 2.5 CAS RAM|520 Watt SilenX PSU|Leadtek Geforce 3|Dell 2001FP 20.1 in. LCD|80 GB IBM Deathstar (Pre-Hitachi)|Lian-Li 6070A Case|

Colorado State Civil Engineering
Bill The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-04, 08:28 PM   #4
windwalker_2000

Default Re: How to make Asus K8V motherboard detect an IDE drive after the SATA drive is boot up

Hi JuiceZ.

I forgot about my problem. Forget about my earlier posting. Here is my problem as I have accurately recalled.

situation # 1
Two drives are connected to an ASUS K8V motherboard.
One is an IDE and the other is SATA.
The IDE drive has Windows 2000.
The SATA is used as storage

After my computer boot up with an IDE drive in Windows 2000, I did not see the SATA drive. The BIOS will always boot up with the IDE drive first.

////////////////////////////////////////////

situation # 1
The SATA has Windows 2000.
The IDE drive has no operating system and is used
for storage.

When a computer boot up, it recognized the IDE
drive, but since it has no OS, it won 't boot. Then
the VIA RAID, SATA BIOS and the Promise RAID BIOS
kicks in. Then, the computer crashed.
Old 10-11-04, 03:05 PM   #5
nIghtorius

Send a message via ICQ to nIghtorius

Quote:
Originally Posted by windwalker_2000
Hi JuiceZ.

I forgot about my problem. Forget about my earlier posting. Here is my problem as I have accurately recalled.

situation # 1
The IDE drive has Windows 2000.
The SATA is used as storage

After my computer boot up with an IDE drive in Windows 2000, I did not see the SATA drive. The BIOS will always boot up with the IDE drive first.

////////////////////////////////////////////

situation # 1
The SATA has Windows 2000.
The IDE drive has no operating system and is used
for storage.

When a computer boot up, it recognized the IDE
drive, but since it has no OS, it won 't boot. Then
the VIA RAID, SATA BIOS and the Promise RAID BIOS
kicks in. Then, the computer crashed.
I should warn you about when you install win2k on a IDE disk and duplicate it to a SATA disk and trying to boot from it is bound to fail.

the only option to get Win2k running from a SATA disk is by installing it to the
SATA disk freshly.. before you attempt to do so.. please make sure that you make a driver diskette with the SATA drivers installed and do not forget the OEMSETUP.INI or something similar since it contains the information for windows setup to install the SATA drivers during setup time.
Rig 'Titan': Intel Core Duo 6600 | Zalman 9500CU-LED | 2GB DDR-2 667 | P5N-SLI | BFG 8800 GTX | 24" Dell FPW2407 | zalman ZM600-HP modular PSU | 1050GB TOTAL HDD | Photosmart 7760 | Microsoft Cordless Laser Desktop 5000 | Logitech Z2300 2.1 | MX700 Backup Mouse | Antec Performance One P180B (Black) | Vista Business 32-bits

Laptop: IBM ThinkPad T43 | Pentium M 750 | Wireless b/g | 60GB 7200RPM | DVD Writer | 512MB DDR2 | 1400x1050 15" | WinXP SP2
nIghtorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-04, 07:28 PM   #6
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Talking Re: How to make Asus K8V motherboard detect an IDE drive after the SATA drive is boot

windwalker_2000 looks to me your make things to complicated and thats why its not working for you , just do this *Short Version*

*Connect*
IDE Master CD-ROM
IDE Slave Maxtor 80 HDD
SATA HDD

Boot from Windows CD press F6 install SATA drivers, Install Windows on SATA.

Very simple procedure worked every time for me , some motherboard let you choose specificly from where to boot , but even if they don't i still had no problem as long as you don't do crazy things offcourse im talking about Win XP , Win 2000 can't be that different.
Old 10-12-04, 03:15 AM   #7
windwalker_2000

Hi DVS.
I did have the SATA hard disk boot up by itself.
When I put the IDE drive in that have no operating
system, the SATA dard won 't boot up because
the BIOS tried to boot from the IDE drive.
Since the IDE drive has no OS, it won 't boot up,
and this is where it crashed.
Old 10-12-04, 07:06 AM   #8
nIghtorius

Send a message via ICQ to nIghtorius

Change the bootorder in your bios to let it first boot from the S-ATA disk not the IDE disk. if that doesn't help you.. there is a small neat trick:.

Windows XP detects HDD's.. even when they're not configured in your BIOS. try setting the disk to none (for your IDE disk) in your bios and boot. Windows will detect your IDE disk.
Rig 'Titan': Intel Core Duo 6600 | Zalman 9500CU-LED | 2GB DDR-2 667 | P5N-SLI | BFG 8800 GTX | 24" Dell FPW2407 | zalman ZM600-HP modular PSU | 1050GB TOTAL HDD | Photosmart 7760 | Microsoft Cordless Laser Desktop 5000 | Logitech Z2300 2.1 | MX700 Backup Mouse | Antec Performance One P180B (Black) | Vista Business 32-bits

Laptop: IBM ThinkPad T43 | Pentium M 750 | Wireless b/g | 60GB 7200RPM | DVD Writer | 512MB DDR2 | 1400x1050 15" | WinXP SP2
nIghtorius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-04, 04:54 PM   #9
-=DVS=-
.:. Lafiel .:.

Thumbs up Re: How to make Asus K8V motherboard detect an IDE drive after the SATA drive is boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by nIghtorius
Change the bootorder in your bios to let it first boot from the S-ATA disk not the IDE disk. if that doesn't help you.. there is a small neat trick:.

Windows XP detects HDD's.. even when they're not configured in your BIOS. try setting the disk to none (for your IDE disk) in your bios and boot. Windows will detect your IDE disk.
If that works thats realy neat trick
Old 09-06-07, 03:25 AM   #10
Miggler

OK I really need help! I need to reformat me computer I thought it will be simple. I had a friend do it the last time but I dont have the time to waite for him to have time to help. so I am on my own.

OK well

I have the VIA K8v Mx mother board.
I am trying to Install Windows XP.
I have a SATA HD that I want to use as my main and that I used befor as the Main.
I also have a small IDE HD as storage it has my back up files on it.

I am trying to get the bios to detect the sata and let me install windows Xp and boot to it but it does not let me do that. If I make the Sata to a Sata-IDE it will let me install windows but not boot.

I will love it if some on can give me a walk throue on how to set up my sata to just work.

PLEASE and Thank you!
Miggler is offline   Reply With Quote